• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

nateandrychuk

walleye

NorthwestHunter

I think that JEG and Bear are trying to say that walleye are able to be targeted right now during the spawning phase, which is their most vulnerable stage. Yes, more than likely there would be more fishermen out right now if we had 2 feet of solid ice, but those walleye would not be nearly as deep into the spawning phase as they are right now. Usually walleye are in this stage 2-4 weeks from now. This is usually during the closed season--for good reason. This unusually warm spring is bringing the spawn early and bringing it into an open season. I think thats what Nate is trying to say, and if we hold off fishing for walters in mid-spawn it would be beneficial to our fisheries. Once again its just my opinion.

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

nateandrychuk

well said

I think that JEG and Bear are trying to say that walleye are able to be targeted right now during the spawning phase, which is their most vulnerable stage. Yes, more than likely there would be more fishermen out right now if we had 2 feet of solid ice, but those walleye would not be nearly as deep into the spawning phase as they are right now. Usually walleye are in this stage 2-4 weeks from now. This is usually during the closed season--for good reason. This unusually warm spring is bringing the spawn early and bringing it into an open season. I think thats what Nate is trying to say, and if we hold off fishing for walters in mid-spawn it would be beneficial to our fisheries. Once again its just my opinion.

Paul

beartrack.jpg.1a43097fbd2f6250c49a780f32

L J B

I guess it is just my personal ethics. I would like to think that by leaving these fish alone, we will have a great fishery in the future. I know that when ice fishing in the spring before ice out walleyes can be caught in 10-15 feet of water, therefore larger fish can easily be returned to grow and spawn. I think we all know that walleyes brought out of deep water are dead fish. My personal thoughts. Some people keep mature fish, I personally like eaters, not monsters. Once again personal preference. I personally have no desire to keep big walleyes. I think we all know that the bigger walleyes are easy targets at this time of year.

There must be some validity to leaving the fish alone at this time of year. A few years ago people were fishing the Winnipeg River at the Dalles (near Kenora) out of boats in March and killing off the larger females, consequently the fishery is closed on March 15. To further validate my opinion why are other areas across the province closed earlier to protect the spawners. I am no bioligist or expert by any means, so my opinion may not be worth squat. Once again it is my personal ethics that keep me off the water at this time of year.

Once again this is my personal opinion, my ethics, and I would like to think we should all consider the future.

Thanks

BB

Bear, you and I share the same ethics. I don't keep monsters to eat. I don't fish walleye in deep water. I know the closed season provides protection to fish that are very concentrated in one specific area; therefore; easier to catch.

Mother Natures warm spell has prevented me from fishing the last few weeks, at a time of year that I really look forward to fishing, because the weather is generally nicer ( especially if you bring young kids ). Also, the fish are tending to school in certain areas in preperation for spawning and yes this does make them easier to catch. I don't always think that is a bad thing ( a real bonus if your with young kids that demand non-stop action ). My one ray of hope to salvage what has been a fairly poor spring as far as fishing goes was that maybe I'll be able to get one last trip in a boat. If I am lucky enough to catch fish I would only be keeping " eaters " that I normally would have kept if ice fishing. There are probably a few other people who feel the same way I do. Personally, I don't think you'll see the numbers of boats that you might see on a normal spring or summer weekend. It will still be cool on the lakes and many people just aren't thinking of boat fishing yet.

If I thought that fish populations were being significantly harmed by fishing this weekend I would agree with you that it should be shut down. I would, however, hate to see decisions being made too close seasons early if a problem really doesn't exist and it was just a knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem.

As for people catching hogs in 45 feet of water, well, what can I say. Should we all be made villians because of somebody elses actions.

If fish populations are in real jeopardy then I will be the first person to support changes. I wan't my kids and other future generations to be able to experience the same joys of fishing and hunting that I have known.

I just think this one weekend is being overblown as far as fishing is concerned.

L J B

Guest joshschill

Paul

I totally agree!! But on the other hand if guys want to get out for a day or two before the season closes whos to say not to!! :)

Guest BannedCore

As a guide I have to agree that there is only one thing better than catch and release to help maintain a good fishery and that is to protect spawning fish. I can remember when sancurarys were rare and rivers and the mouths of them got hammered by guys and it was a slaughter. When the M.N.R started to keep fisherpeople at a distance it made a difference for sure. It is like Bear said closing the season earlier will definatley add more fish to the system. And all species of fish will have some stress due to the bizzare weather depending on their body of water.

Guest lacman
O.K. What is the REAL problem here... and what lakes are we REALLY talking about. Most lakes up north still have ice on them correct? Therefore I would say most walleye lakes are not going to be affected by this. I think the real concern here is Lac, Whitefish (which are going to have different rules anyways soon) and maybe Dog.

I only fish walleye the opener and a bit in June and after that I don't fish walleye, but; you get one year in the last 100 where the ice is out way early and everyone is animal rights activist. What's next... are we all going to join P.E.T.A. and go and throw paint on people who are wearing fur coats?

In my opinion, people shot themselves in the foots a long time ago. Way back the season used to be closed March 15th. People where complaining that this wasn't long enough and there was all sorts of petitions going around to extend the season to April 15th. Especially the lac fishing regulars.

I say close the season on March 15th, not only would this eliminate the rape and pillage of walleyes, but we would also eliminate all the gong-shows the ministry and OPP have to deal with when people are out on UNSAFE conditions.

Bang on!!!

Guest Ityflies

Perfect weekend to take the kids out and teach them catch n release, ethics and get them intrested in fishing!

Skol_Vikings
O.K. What is the REAL problem here... and what lakes are we REALLY talking about. Most lakes up north still have ice on them correct? Therefore I would say most walleye lakes are not going to be affected by this. I think the real concern here is Lac, Whitefish (which are going to have different rules anyways soon) and maybe Dog.

As far as ethics go .... I am a bass guy and I only fish walleye the opener and a bit in June until the bass are off their beds and after that I don't specifically target walleye. If I happen to catch them, half the time I don't keep them anyways because then I got to clean them, which I never feel like doing... NISSWA can confirm this, but; you get one year in the last 100 where the ice is out way early and everyone is animal rights activist. What's next... are we all going to join P.E.T.A. and go and throw paint on people who are wearing fur coats?

In my opinion, people shot themselves in the foots a long time ago. Way back the season used to be closed March 15th. People where complaining that this wasn't long enough and there was all sorts of petitions going around to extend the season to April 15th. Especially the lac fishing regulars.

I say close the season on March 15th, not only would this eliminate the rape and pillage of walleyes, but we would also eliminate all the gong-shows the ministry and OPP have to deal with when people are out on UNSAFE conditions.

Well put, I am all about stopping the rape and pillage of walleyes!

nateandrychuk

As far as ethics go .... I am a bass guy and I only fish walleye the opener and a bit in June until the bass are off their beds and after that I don't specifically target walleye. If I happen to catch them, half the time I don't keep them anyways because then I got to clean them, which I never feel like doing... NISSWA can confirm this, but; you get one year in the last 100 where the ice is out way early and everyone is animal rights activist. What's next... are we all going to join P.E.T.A. and go and throw paint on people who are wearing fur coats?

well said make everything better and safer

beartrack.jpg.1a43097fbd2f6250c49a780f32

tracker

By closing a lake early (March 15) justs directs the pressure to another lake. Ice fisherman will continue fishing where ever it is legal. So my take on a few threads on this board is: close the winter fisheries in case of an early thaw, delay the opening of the summer fisheries in case of a late thaw. Adjust the regulations to fit the scenarios??? Hmmmmm

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

heavy haul

I fished Lake of the Woods yesterday for walleyes south of Keewatin channel, and was able to bring a limit home. All fish were caught in 45-50 feet of water. I only managed to land males, and when I filleted them for dinner they were all still tight. These fish were still clearly pre-spawn. I plan on going out again today with my son to enjoy the good fishing before the season closes.

THE_BIG_ONE

Why is this such a debate? If it is within your legal rights you may choose to keep what you want and nobody can say anything. Is it that wrong to keep my limit of 4 walleye when natives can go out and catch hundreds?

Guest Dano67

If today was any indication, we certainly don't have to worry about slaughtering too many spawners. Out in the boat for the first time this year, froze our you-know-whats off with the wind howling from the North, and not a single bite. Ha, Ha. Joke was on us. It was still good to get out though!

GC 54

Rape and pillage? 25-30 boats? Imagine if there was still safe ice. :(

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest Ityflies

Hey everyone

We did really good, caught a lot of small eaters 14-15 inchers, all males. It was a great chance for my son and I to do some bonding. He is turning 16 this year and girls are the only thing on his mind lately :o After seeing him catch a couple fish in a row, his smile streched from one side of his face to the other. I havent seen a smile that big in a long time....the weekend was awsem, good fishing and alot of fun with dad and the boys.

This is one weekend, that I am sure we will never forget!

Guest Ityflies
That's what it's all about.... Although not the best eating.... Just imagion how much more fun you would have bass fishing. lol... lol :)

I do go bass fishing ....... but only when the water gets too warm, for other species to be safely released. :P

Phil

Hey Kev! Whats up? Me, my Dad and a buddy went on Sunday and did well. We fished the lake first and got a few and lots of decent pike but most fish we caught were at the mouth. Lots of people all through the river but surprisingly not everyone was smashing them. There were a few people I know who did not catch a limit. Beautiful day weather wise especially for April 11th NUTS! Mostly all males the biggest we got was 21 inches but quite a few 16 - 17 inches. Good to see the boys in green were at the launch making sure people who were keeping to many big ones got busted.

Guest Walleye Man
Hey Kev! Whats up? Me, my Dad and a buddy went on Sunday and did well. We fished the lake first and got a few and lots of decent pike but most fish we caught were at the mouth. Lots of people all through the river but surprisingly not everyone was smashing them. There were a few people I know who did not catch a limit. Beautiful day weather wise especially for April 11th NUTS! Mostly all males the biggest we got was 21 inches but quite a few 16 - 17 inches. Good to see the boys in green were at the launch making sure people who were keeping to many big ones got busted.

Hey Phil good to hear I went for a trip into Athelstane with plans on going into Modo Lake. Well that turned into a disaster as the water was super low and the river only had 2 inches of water in it. We tried to drag the boat over the sand and it was too hard. We gave up and fished Athelstane which had freezing cold water still. We didn't even get a bite :( There are going to be some very dissapointed people this year that fish lakes with river access or that require deeper water to launch bigger boats from what I have seen the water is disgustingly low everywhere. I knew I should of tried Lac.

Take Care bud.

Kevin