• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

grumpy

possession of spawn

grumpy

Correct me if I am wrong. If I possess spawn from 2 steelhead I am over my limit, correct

Guest MNR

In the Fisheries Act, “fish” includes (a) parts of a fish and © the eggs, sperm, spawn, larvae, spat and juvenile stages of fish, shellfish, crustaceans and marine animals.

So, the answer to the question depends where the spawn came from. If you possess spawn from 2 steelhead that came from Zone 6 or Zone 9 (west of the Pic River), you would be over your limit. If they came from Zone 9 east of the Pic River or Zone 10, you could legally have spawn from 2 steelhead. You could have spawn sacks from 5 different fish if it came from rainbow trout from the stocked inland lakes in FMZ 6 where the limit is 5 or you could have spawn from multiple fish purchased legally from an aquaculture facility.

Are we going to be checking anglers to do DNA testing on their steelhead spawn sacks? Unlikely. Would we take action if we saw someone catching multiple steelhead and stripping the eggs before releasing them? Likely.