• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BlindLikeBat

Polaris Canoe Racks

Guest BlindLikeBat

<< Sigh >> I'm losing patience here folks. Over the weekend Stumped and I found a video of a Montana Jacks ATV Canoe Rack but it was from a link that led to their site and not from a menu on their site. I suspect that they took the video link off their pages but that it is still active if you have the correct url.

Anyhow, I seem to have lost link and I can not find it on their site.

At any rate, I'm looking to either buy/fabricate a canoe rack to connect to our Polaris Sportsman ATV. I'm thinking of connecting it to the winch on the front of my ATV on a bracket that connects to the rollers. On the back I'm looking to have it connect to the tube that is used for the trailer hitch.

Has anyone on this site done this before. Care to share your ideas, pictures, plans etc...

If I do ever find that video again, I'll post it later.

Guest BlindLikeBat

I tried calling them directly today but it's a holiday down in the states. The videos that Stumped and I found were 5 minutes and 2 minutes long and it's very frustrating that I found exactly what I'm looking for and didn't bookmark it.

Anyhow, when I find it and I will find it, I'll post it here.

My other option is to buy 1 of those ATV trailers which have the overhead rack for the canoe but I can't seem to find one of those either.

eyelander
<< Sigh >> I'm losing patience here folks. Over the weekend Stumped and I found a video of a Montana Jacks ATV Canoe Rack but it was from a link that led to their site and not from a menu on their site. I suspect that they took the video link off their pages but that it is still active if you have the correct url.

Anyhow, I seem to have lost link and I can not find it on their site.

At any rate, I'm looking to either buy/fabricate a canoe rack to connect to our Polaris Sportsman ATV. I'm thinking of connecting it to the winch on the front of my ATV on a bracket that connects to the rollers. On the back I'm looking to have it connect to the tube that is used for the trailer hitch.

Has anyone on this site done this before. Care to share your ideas, pictures, plans etc...

If I do ever find that video again, I'll post it later.

Just checked my old saved links from that site, and all are gone. I suspect they are not offering quad boat and canoe racks any more. At least I could not find any links to them, regardless of video links.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Ogoki

This is strange as this past weekend I was on the net looking for a canoe rack for my Polaris also. I saw the Montana Jack rack but the page was not available . I sent them an email and got a reply back yesterday that the rack for the atv canoe was no longer available. I was looking at a Polaris yeserday and it had a snow plow on it . Thought I would make a bracket and mount to the bottom of the Polaris the same place the snow plow bracket was and then weld a square tube to it . I could then make something out of light steel to look like a goal post that could be attached to the receiver hitch in the back and the square tube in the front. Hope this makes since as I know it will work. Would have been easier to have bought it already made . Cannnot believe somebody is not already selling it...................I looked at the geargator link but it would not mount to my Polaris as mine have a very small box bed instead of the rack on the back end .

Guest BlindLikeBat

I'm sure that you and I have the same problem with the mounting.

Here is how I am *thinking* of tackling the problem. The 2 bolts on the rollers for the winch can be used for mounting a bracket on the front and the receiver hitch can be used for mounting on the back. I'm thinking of taking the video over to Peterson's machine shop along with a couple of pics of my ATV and asking what they could fabricate for me and what the cost would be.

Like you, I can't believe that there is nothing on the market for the polaris.

-- BlindLikeBat

This is strange as this past weekend I was on the net looking for a canoe rack for my Polaris also. I saw the Montana Jack rack but the page was not available . I sent them an email and got a reply back yesterday that the rack for the atv canoe was no longer available. I was looking at a Polaris yeserday and it had a snow plow on it . Thought I would make a bracket and mount to the bottom of the Polaris the same place the snow plow bracket was and then weld a square tube to it . I could then make something out of light steel to look like a goal post that could be attached to the receiver hitch in the back and the square tube in the front. Hope this makes since as I know it will work. Would have been easier to have bought it already made . Cannnot believe somebody is not already selling it...................I looked at the geargator link but it would not mount to my Polaris as mine have a very small box bed instead of the rack on the back end .

post-415-1278506460_thumb.jpg

post-415-1278506468_thumb.jpg

Guest Ogoki

BlindLikeBat, I went out and looked at mine and I like your idea of coming off the front where the roller bolts are with a bracket. I think my idea of copying the snowplow mount would be an overkill. The bottom mount would be stronger but it does not have to be just for a canoe . I have a close friend with a welding shop and he keeps telling me to bring it over and we can look at it together . If I get time I will and will forward to you what we come up with . Thanks for the idea !!! What I am thinking right now is a flat plate with the roller bolts going thru and then weld a piece of square stock to it where you could slide the upright into and then pin together when using . Pull the pin and then remove the upright . Similar to the way the receiver hitch fits together . For the back they do make a "goal post style " up right for the back of vehicles to haul a canoe but I looked at one at Cabelas the other day and it appears too heavy . I think it would be better to have one a little lighter . Thanks !!!!!!

Guest BlindLikeBat

Glad it's all working out here. Tell him to keep a template and maybe he can fabricate enough to make a little sideline business. :)

BlindLikeBat, I went out and looked at mine and I like your idea of coming off the front where the roller bolts are with a bracket. I think my idea of copying the snowplow mount would be an overkill. The bottom mount would be stronger but it does not have to be just for a canoe . I have a close friend with a welding shop and he keeps telling me to bring it over and we can look at it together . If I get time I will and will forward to you what we come up with . Thanks for the idea !!! What I am thinking right now is a flat plate with the roller bolts going thru and then weld a piece of square stock to it where you could slide the upright into and then pin together when using . Pull the pin and then remove the upright . Similar to the way the receiver hitch fits together . For the back they do make a "goal post style " up right for the back of vehicles to haul a canoe but I looked at one at Cabelas the other day and it appears too heavy . I think it would be better to have one a little lighter . Thanks !!!!!!

Guest Smack Um

I will take the camera up to camp and take some pictures of the quad rack me and dad made pretty simple design but it has worked well for 25 years.

It is easier to show you in pictures the key points like connections than it is to describe them with writting especially when there is not a lot of room to say much but I did not change a thing on my quad it is all bolt on.

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I prefer to talk to people the good old fashioned way with the picture in my hand.

Smack Um

Guest Ogoki

BlindLikeBat , We are going to put a rack together tomorrow so hopefully I will have pictures for you later this weekend . If I need to send them directly to you or if it is ok I will post them here ? We spent a couple hour yesterday afternoon deciding how we are going to build them . Thanks

Guest BlindLikeBat

You can post them here if you like since I'm sure that others will be interested also. I'll probably get you to PM them to me if you wouldn't mind that also.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

-- BlindLikeBat

BlindLikeBat , We are going to put a rack together tomorrow so hopefully I will have pictures for you later this weekend . If I need to send them directly to you or if it is ok I will post them here ? We spent a couple hour yesterday afternoon deciding how we are going to build them . Thanks

Guest Ogoki

I made a rack and used the winch roller guides like BlindLikeBat suggested . I tried to post the pictures here but for some reason cannot . I sent them to BlindLikeBat and he or I can email to you if you want to see what I came up with . I used 1 1/2 inch suare tubing with 1/16 inch wall thickness . I used a short piece of 2 inch square to weld to the plate and the 1 1/2 inch slips inside and will bolt or pin together to remove . On the back I used the receiver and made an elbow to go verticle much like the hitch carriers that are used on cars and trucks . On my Polaris I put a Kolpin receiver that takes it up to 2 inch to receive the standard hitch . I can carry my 125 lb 14 ft aluminum boat of my 78 lb canoe . Now I just need to sand it and paint it . Spent the biggest part of a day to make it and still need a couple hours to finish .

Guest BlindLikeBat

That's the one but a polaris does not have the metal rack on the front / rear so you have to come up with another method. I do have pictures of Ogoki's solution if you want to see them PM me. We have been unable to upload them for some reason or other.

...is THIIIIIIS what your looking for?

lol i found it when i was shopping for soft bags and ramps for my brute force

http://www.discountramps.com/gear-gator-atv-rack.htm

Guest Ogoki

BlindLikeBat and anyone else , While looking at my homemade canoe rack I am short on hauling space. I am adding a receiver tube to my hitch haul to accomodate the verticle support . Just a 4 inch long square tube mounted vertically between the receiver and the hitch haul platform . This might help someone building one of these . I don't know why I did not think of it when building it .

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

nice rack. that skid steer looks pretty new too

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Heisenberg

Nice rack indeed. One suggestion: Triangulate or gusset those short horizontal pieces on the rear of the rack, especially from the bottom uprights. There will be quite a bit of leverage on those 90 degree welds when you hit a bump.

Guest vgstef

Nice rack indeed. One suggestion: Triangulate or gusset those short horizontal pieces on the rear of the rack, especially from the bottom uprights. There will be quite a bit of leverage on those 90 degree welds when you hit a bump.

Thank for the suggestion

Guest bigpikeseeker

Nice rack!....seems a little strange to say that and not get slapped this time...