• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Spectre

Pellet Pistol

Spectre

While out hunting moose/deer I always see lots of partridge but never have the proper gun. I was wondering if it is legal to have a .22 pellet pistol as well as my rifle while hunting? Keeping in mind I have both my small game and moose/deer licenses and the pellet pistol is in a holster and shoots below 500fps(not restricted)?

Thanks

Guest MNR

A pellet pistol (or air gun) that has a muzzle velocity of less than 500 fps is not considered a firearm under the Firearms Act but is considered a firearm under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. Grouse may be hunted with a pellet pistol (requires a small game licence) and yes you may carry both a high powered rifle and pellet pistol at certain times of the year.

The only time of year when you couldn’t carry a pellet pistol and another firearm would be when you’re out for big game during an archery only season. If you’re hunting moose or deer during an archery only season, you couldn’t carry any firearm other than a bow.

Some pellet pistols may not have the accuracy or power to cleanly kill a grouse. You should ensure that your pellet pistol is sufficient to humanely dispatch your prey.

Also remember that many of the pellet pistols are replicas and if an officer sees a pistol on your hip or suspects that you’re concealing a hand gun you will be treated accordingly. It is advisable for you to immediately declare to any officer you meet that you have a pellet pistol in your possession.