• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Buck 120

Surplus Moose tags

Buck 120

Was anyone successful getting through for a surplus tag?

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Travis Schallock
Was anyone successful getting through for a surplus tag?

still trying.....can't get through

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

Guest fishinbuddy

I tried right from 5:30 until 9:00 and had no luck in getting though the lines were all jammed up.

Travis Schallock

There has got to be a better way to do this. I also tried from 5:30-9, virtually everytime I got the message 'we cannot direct anymore calls to this location', but I talked to several people from the south who said they never got the message once, they just got a busy signal. But they did get through multiple times and got tags. Even up until 9:10 I was getting the same message, until others called telling me they did or didn't get through and were now getting a message saying it was closed. I couldn't even get that. I don't know if southerners get priority use over the phone lines or not, nothing to do with the MNR. Anyone else have this problem?

Travis Schallock

Travis Schallock
I couldn't get through. Plus they shut it down at 10 after 9.

My brother in Sault Ste. Marie, called me at 9:10 and said he got told right at 9 that they were closed. I was still getting the lines are busy message.

Travis Schallock

Jayfishin

Well it sounds like the moose draw system is still flawed this year again. I know one guy from southern ontario that got a tag for 21a and who should've been in pool 2 this year?? This surplus tag thing still doesn't make sense to me. How can there be tags available in a WMU when everyone you applied in pool 1 (singles) did not get a tag? I realize that there is a guarenteed group size, who are given tags first, then they supposedly go down one group size and give those people (in groups) tags next. After that, everyone is supposedly put in as singles for the remainder of the tags to be drawn. When a single gets a tag they supposedly check to see if he had applied in a smaller group and remove those other members (as well). This system makes sense so far if the MNR actually followed it. And there is also the 5% advantage for us northerns. But how can a guy who applied in pool 1 not get a tag in a WMU where the MNR is saying there are surplus ones for that same WMU??? Anyone have a good reason. And will this new moose management plan correct these errors in the near future? :o

Jay

Guest fishinbuddy

Jay!, I hear you on the confusion with this system. A couple of years ago I got a tag that was my second choice when I was in pool B. Yet there was people in pool A who did not recieve a tag in the same WMU.......... Why???? I have no clue!!!!! This year I was in pool B and did not not recieve a tag but there was still a total of 54 cow and 40 bull surplus tags in my WMU for the taking. Needless to say I am a little dicsouraged with the system.

Sean

DC_84

I got through 10 minutes into it last night, but got the message the Outdoors Card blah blah was closed then it was repeated in french and my call was cut off... Never got through again...

Dustin

Jayfishin

I hear ya Sean. Over the last few years it seems to have gotten alot worse. Hopefully my cousin pulled an archery tag for us in WMU 19. Got a week of holidays booked to try to convince a big donkey that I am what he is looking for starting Sept 25th in your neck of the woods.

Jay

Jayfishin

I have not really looked into the surplux tag situation this year but is there info out there on what is available and in what WMU or is that something you have to call in for?? Jay

Also how is the surplus tag for deer working out? Is there a wait for these as well?

Jay

I got through 10 minutes into it last night, but got the message the Outdoors Card blah blah was closed then it was repeated in french and my call was cut off... Never got through again...

Dustin

PRO V

The phone in for deer ended, When they were open it was easy, now you have to go down to your district office to buy the surplus tags but it's pretty painless.

I usually buy my surplus tags in Dryden for the Dryden area, but I'm going down to our district office tommorow here in town to see if i can buy a

tag for the Dryden area.

Travis Schallock

Jay I hear what your saying, if it is a true draw for tags there should never be any tags left over for surplus if somebody applied and didn't recieve a tag. The whole draw system is flawed as far as I am concerned. Right from tag allotment, for instance WMU13 has 1,150 tags and 18A only has 229, how do they come up with numbers like that, clearly it has nothing to do with moose populations. I'm just using those areas because I hunt them and have a basic knowledge of the amount of game in them, not picking on anyone. I just think that the MNR is catering to the greater populations bases, giving those the tags they want to keep them happy. And not doing what they are supposed to do, which is managing the game animals, giving out tags as the populations see fit.

But from what I have gathered, the reason there have been surplus tags the last few years in easily accessed areas, is that not enough northerners who qualify for the northern draw apply to get those 5% of tags that are held for them. If a person knows they qualify for the northern draw, they should apply on their own, or in a small group, because if they are in a group that meets the guaranteed size, they will get a tag based on the group size, not the northern draw. Leaving those tags for surplus. IMO they should give those surplus tags to the district offices and let the locals of the area get the tags. But that is easy for me to say.

Travis Schallock

PRO V

" ..........IMO they should give those surplus tags to the district offices and let the locals of the area get the tags."

For some of us we choose to live in this area because we love the outdoors weather it's camping, fishing, hunting, etc this is who we are, it

kinda sucks that we have to jump through hoops to get tags.

Monks

We got through for a bull tag. Guess were just lucky have got surplus tags every year for past 4 years. Its all in the dialing technique ;) .

Guest Ityflies

I have never had to apply for Deer "surplus tags" I just went down to the ministry office and bought extras.

Jayfishin

Getting an extra doe tag is not a problem for most areas in northwestern ontario. I wonder if a response will come in the "Ask the MNR" section on this hot topic? Well how about it get it started....Jay

NorthwestHunter

Hey Guys,

bought my surplus tags today at our district office, there is just over 1100 left for WMU 13. But they sell quick! Just letting you know!

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

NorthwestHunter

I just asked someone I know a few questions about the surplus tag system and got some questions of my own cleared up. I do believe the way it works is every draw a certain number of tags are left out of the draw and set aside for use later during the surplus tag call-in session. In essence all hunters who apply for a moose tag in the draw and are unsuccessful can call in and are given a second chance at allocating a tag.

The system will work in my favour next year, as I have obtained a tag this year in the draw while applying on my own. Next year while Im in pool "B" I am almost guaranteed an unseccesful draw. With the telephone system for allocating surplus tags, I am given a second chance...and thats fine with me.

Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession