• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Foz

Grouse opener

Foz

So is anyone going out tomorrow for the opener and if so , where are you planning on going. I'm going but not sure as of yet where.

Guest mattyG

I'm definetly excited to get out for some birds, I'll probably wait till the weekend and do a hunt and fish.

Spectre

I was goingto go out after work but it turns out I have a baseball playoff game :mellow: Luckily it looks like its going to be raining so I wouldn't miss much hunting anyways... You can bet i will be out there tomorrow though!

Guest mattyG

Went out to adrian lake road for a few hours last night, saw quite a few birds but only managed to shoot two. They got the better of me in the thick stuff. But it felt great getting out there chasing them around.

Spectre
Went out to adrian lake road for a few hours last night, saw quite a few birds but only managed to shoot two. They got the better of me in the thick stuff. But it felt great getting out there chasing them around.

Yeah I went out wednesday and thursday and got 1 each day. Seen 3 the first day the other two didn't stop running. Then saw a group of 3 the second day but only had a single shot .410 so after the first shot the rest just flew and were long gone. Hoping to get up 527 and check out some roads this weekend though...

Guest BannedCore

Opening day I had my limit in 40 minutes. Yesterday we went out with the Grandparents and we got 2 limits and saw 17 birds in total. This year is awsome for sure. Gidddy up!!!!

Spectre

Has anyone ever had a ruffed grouse that had dark meat like a spruce grouse? Went up 527 and had 2 ruffed grouse with very dark meat...

Guest Wes

A lot of people mistake Sharptail Grouse for Ruffed Grouse. A Sharptail has darker meat than a Ruffed Grouse but not as dark as a Spruce Grouse. Could you be mistaken?

Spectre
A lot of people mistake Sharptail Grouse for Rough Grouse. A Sharptail has darker meat than a Rough Grouse but not as dark as a Spruce Grouse. Could you be mistaken?

No they were definitely ruffed, the meat was almost black like a spruce though. I'm going up that way next weekend i will take pictures of them again incase the meat is dark. Do grouse cross breed at all?

Thefishleclair
No they were definitely ruffed, the meat was almost black like a spruce though. I'm going up that way next weekend i will take pictures of them again incase the meat is dark. Do grouse cross breed at all?

Sharps and Grouse look the same almost, We got one a few years back up around Drift Lake, thought we had a grouse but it was a sharp. Seems to be more and more of them turning up. Look at the feathers, On a sharp they have light brown dots on the feathers instead of a line.

I have some photo's of Sharps around somewhere..Ill see what I can dig up.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Spectre
Sharps and Grouse look the same almost, We got one a few years back up around Drift Lake, thought we had a grouse but it was a sharp. Seems to be more and more of them turning up. Look at the feathers, On a sharp they have light brown dots on the feathers instead of a line.

I have some photo's of Sharps around somewhere..Ill see what I can dig up.

Oh could be sharps then, i thought they were a lighter brown all around. Have to check more closely next time...

Guest Jimithy
Oh could be sharps then, i thought they were a lighter brown all around. Have to check more closely next time...

My understanding is that:

Ruffed grouse are rough and tough dudes. They have mo-hawks on their head. also a fan tail.

Spruce grouse have a round bobble head and fluffy legs like hockey socks. also a fan tail.

Sharp tail grouse have a round bobble head and a sharp pointy tail. no hockey socks, bare legs.

Colours can change depending on surroundings and local habitat can't they? Correct me if I am wrong. I am new.

Guest Headhunter

I was up the 527 last weekend, my partner and I got 6 total, got into a flock of about 4 ended up getting 2....funny thing was I shot a large ruffed grouse and my partner ended up shooting what we thought was a grouse but turned out to be in my opinion a cross breed, I followed one of the others that ran into the bush after the first shot and from what I could see it was clearly a Spruce grouse. The meat was noticeably darker but was not spruce hen dark. I am certain it wasnt a sharpie either... first time ive seen this around here but I have found several other mixed groupings around sault ste marie on multiple occasions.

Guest Walleye Man

I got some Sharps in the Pickle Lake area they looked alot like a Ruffed except they had hair on their ankles. Check for that next time.

Spectre
I got some Sharps in the Pickle Lake area they looked alot like a Ruffed except they had hair on their ankles. Check for that next time.

Oh really? Have to check that next time... Went west last night got my limit in less than an hour, definitely all ruffed. Did some sighting in as well B)

post-1223-1285769922_thumb.jpg

post-1223-1285769999_thumb.jpg

Travis Schallock

I see it a few times a year, ruffs and spruce cross breeding I think. We get spruce with white meat also. None yet this year, but if I do I'll try to get a picture.

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

THE_BIG_ONE

Anyone wanna share some good roads to try besides the dorion cut off within 45min of town?

Spectre
Anyone wanna share some good roads to try besides the dorion cut off within 45min of town?

You can pretty much just drive down 527 and go down any gravel road off of it as long as there is no sign/gate... The farther from town you go the more birds there are however...

Spectre
anywhere up the boreal is good too.

Yeah I went that way on the weekend... Got 6 and I actually seen one on Boreal! You know there is a lot of birds out there when you see them on boreal... Couldn't stopped because i woulda got rear ended by someone going to setup moose camp but that area is swamped the weekend before opener as usual B) ...

PRO V

It's a bumper crop this year, went out friday chickens everywhere, going camping with the family this week

will have to get a couple more days in before opening, then wait a couple, three weeks after the dust settles

then headback out.

Mike