• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
levi64

portable ice shacks

Guest Walleye Man
I'm planning on having a friend pick me up a new pop-up from Gander Mountain in Duluth this weekend. I'm looking for something light and portable. In doing some online research I've narrowed it down to the Eskimo Quickfish, Clam Base Camp, or Frabill Hub Shelter. All go for around $150-$175 and hold 2-3 people. From what I can tell the more or less all have the same basic features. Not being able to see them in person it's hard to judge the quality of materials (or what they look like on the inside). I guess it comes down to brand?? If anyone has any thoughts on this it would sure help me make the right call! Tight lines everybody.

Check out the Otter Wild Series of 2 man flip over shelters they are the most economical flip over. Sleigh, Shelter, Bench Seat, Hitch and Cover all for around $400.

If thats out of your price range and you are getting a pop up style check the denier of the fabric higher the number thicker and stronger it will be.

WalleyeWayne
I like the flip-overs too, I just like the price of the smaller pop-ups more! I haven't found any flip-overs for under $200. I need one that fits at least two people (I find that it's easier to justify hunting and fishing purchases when it's 'for the wife too'. Haha) I'll also be pulling this in a toboggan by hand so weight is an issue. I DO like those flip-overs built into a sled with bench seats though!

Since you've decided to buy in Duluth, be sure to go online and check out the units at MARINE GENERAL located on London Road in Duluth. When I priced them all out at Cabela's, Gander and Marine General, Marine had the best price.

Jayfishin
Since you've decided to buy in Duluth, be sure to go online and check out the units at MARINE GENERAL located on London Road in Duluth. When I priced them all out at Cabela's, Gander and Marine General, Marine had the best price.

Marine General's prices are good. I was going to buy my clam there but did a run up the hill to check Gander and found them on sale for sligthly less. I found that Gander's website is not very good. You have to stop into one of their stores as they have alot of item sale priced that aren't listed on their site. I ended up buying the main unit at Gander then bought the accessories (and ice auger) at Marine General.

Jay

Guest jrcw

Just bought the Clam Nanook 2-man flip-over from Canadian Tire. It took some work to get it. I thought they only sold the Sub Zero and HT brand shelters there, but found two models of Clam on their website that were listed as in stock. They staff there had never heard of it and couldn't find one anywhere in the store. Two days, two phone calls, and two trips to the Thunder Centre later one finally came out of the woodwork. Paid $500 after taxes, which is considerably more than the $379 Cabelas.ca wanted for it but I finally made use of all the Canadian Tire gift certificates I had accumulated. Looking forward to trying it out!

levi64
Just bought the Clam Nanook 2-man flip-over from Canadian Tire. It took some work to get it. I thought they only sold the Sub Zero and HT brand shelters there, but found two models of Clam on their website that were listed as in stock. They staff there had never heard of it and couldn't find one anywhere in the store. Two days, two phone calls, and two trips to the Thunder Centre later one finally came out of the woodwork. Paid $500 after taxes, which is considerably more than the $379 Cabelas.ca wanted for it but I finally made use of all the Canadian Tire gift certificates I had accumulated. Looking forward to trying it out!

i'm sure you'll love it , you can't go wrong with clam for ice fishing. Now get a big buddy heater and take your jacket off, sit back and relax.

Guest jrcw

Already got the heater! Bought a Buddy last year to heat my 8' x 5' permanent shack and never had to turn it up past 'low'. Fished all winter in a t-shirt! I just used the 1lb disposable propane bottles but I'd like to switch to using a bigger tank. I hear I'd better get a filter though to avoid it getting gummed up.

levi64
Already got the heater! Bought a Buddy last year to heat my 8' x 5' permanent shack and never had to turn it up past 'low'. Fished all winter in a t-shirt! I just used the 1lb disposable propane bottles but I'd like to switch to using a bigger tank. I hear I'd better get a filter though to avoid it getting gummed up.

I have the Big Buddy and i've used 1 pounders lots, i also have a 5 pounder with about 12 ft hose, no problems that would require a filter, at least none that i've experienced. It really heats up the Yukon well, even in the coldest of days. Anyone out there have their buddy gum up?? Any problems with a buddy??

uncle
I have the Big Buddy and i've used 1 pounders lots, i also have a 5 pounder with about 12 ft hose, no problems that would require a filter, at least none that i've experienced. It really heats up the Yukon well, even in the coldest of days. Anyone out there have their buddy gum up?? Any problems with a buddy??

I have a Buddy that quit working for no reason so assume it is gummed. I have a Big Buddy with a filter and no problems. Anyone know how to un-gum my Buddy? (Somehow that doesn't sound right) :unsure:

Guest Matt M
I have a Buddy that quit working for no reason so assume it is gummed. I have a Big Buddy with a filter and no problems. Anyone know how to un-gum my Buddy? (Somehow that doesn't sound right) :unsure:

If you have been using a filter and your heater just quit working one day your problem could be with the thermocoupler. Most places that carry the buddy heaters have these parts in stock and I'm pretty sure they are a cheap fix. If you have a hard time finding the part I know the Outdoorsman Headquarters in IFalls carries them.

Guest jrcw

Apparently the gumming-up problem has to do with oil in the propane. I've heard of a few people who had problems with their heaters and determined this was the culprit.

As for my new Clam, things are not off to a good start. Started putting it together last night and quickly realized the hardware provided is GARBAGE. The bolts don't fit in the nuts properly and so far two have snapped in half. I wasn't using a drill either, this was hand-snug with a wrench and a screwdriver. Not impressed. Since they don't give you extras I can't finish putting the thing together. Looks like I'll be making my THIRD trip to Canadian Tire for this thing...and hopefully getting some free bolts.

levi64
Apparently the gumming-up problem has to do with oil in the propane. I've heard of a few people who had problems with their heaters and determined this was the culprit.

As for my new Clam, things are not off to a good start. Started putting it together last night and quickly realized the hardware provided is GARBAGE. The bolts don't fit in the nuts properly and so far two have snapped in half. I wasn't using a drill either, this was hand-snug with a wrench and a screwdriver. Not impressed. Since they don't give you extras I can't finish putting the thing together. Looks like I'll be making my THIRD trip to Canadian Tire for this thing...and hopefully getting some free bolts.

I know when I put mine together from nothing it took some time, but all the parts were there and everything fit well. I got mine from a guy Sports. Hopefully Canadian Tire will help you out with the right fittings.

Guest jrcw

Clam Saga Update: no dice with new hardware from Canadian Tire. Exchange (for a new tent with the same garbage nuts and bolts) or return for refund. Looks like I'll be making a trip elsewhere to spend more money on something I thought I'd already paid for. I'll also be making a phone call to Clam Corp. For what I thought was supposed to be a quality a product I'm seriously disappointed. Why ruin a good shelter by cheaping out on the things that hold it together??? The box says 'Made in USA', the hardware bags say 'Made in China'.

levi64
I know when I put mine together from nothing it took some time, but all the parts were there and everything fit well. I got mine from a guy Sports. Hopefully Canadian Tire will help you out with the right fittings.

A guy Sports??? lol.. I don't get it but I guess its a business not to mention

levi64
Clam Saga Update: no dice with new hardware from Canadian Tire. Exchange (for a new tent with the same garbage nuts and bolts) or return for refund. Looks like I'll be making a trip elsewhere to spend more money on something I thought I'd already paid for. I'll also be making a phone call to Clam Corp. For what I thought was supposed to be a quality a product I'm seriously disappointed. Why ruin a good shelter by cheaping out on the things that hold it together??? The box says 'Made in USA', the hardware bags say 'Made in China'.

Like I said I got mine from in town and from what I remember the price was comparible to Gander and Cabelas, you should give him a call and see if you can get the same model for a better price, ya never know. Its not guy sports, I don't know what the edit is all about but you can pm me if you want the name of the business.