• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
davek

Poshkokagan

davek

Went to posh on tuesday nice day but wind was up ,there was a trail broke to the lake and in good shape not much use.Lake did not have much traffic on it and looks like there is lots of slush but the hard crust on top kept you from sinking in to it.Fishing was poor on both sides of the lake,not likely to go back this winter poor ice, lots of slush and couldn't find fish.

Buck 120

Went last night for an evening fish. Left town around 3 pm. There is slush, but OK if you keep your machine going. 4 of us went and caught some Walleye but no limits, so fishing was pretty slow. But at least we were not skunked!

The forecast called for -15 in the evening, but as soon as the sun set the temp dropped to - 28. Left at 8 pm and it was COLD!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Jayfishin

Thinkin of trying posh tomorrow. Anyone been there lately?

Also just wondering if anyone knows which way the water flows there? Rivers at both the north and south ends but not sure which way the water is moving? Only fished there in the winter. Would like to try the inlet area to see if any walleye are staging to spawn.

Jay

speckmaster

The water flows in from the south and flows out at the northern most point.

Thinkin of trying posh tomorrow. Anyone been there lately?

Also just wondering if anyone knows which way the water flows there? Rivers at both the north and south ends but not sure which way the water is moving? Only fished there in the winter. Would like to try the inlet area to see if any walleye are staging to spawn.

Jay

Jayfishin
The water flows in from the south and flows out at the northern most point.

Thx for the info. Looks like it emptíes into Lake Nipigon then. That would be a neat river route to paddle eh.

robbo

Was just in to Core on tuesday. Trail had just been rode in so decided to check it out (was originally going to posh). Trails are good, went to posh two weeks ago and pulled a couple small walleye and some nice fat perch but was fishing midday. same time on Core and only a couple nibbles, likely perch. Cold and windy. Lake was solid. Good luck.

going fishing is okay, going catching is great!

naden

Went in tonight for a few hours. Only had one nibble. Tried in front of both incoming rivers. Armstrong hwy was terrible on the way home made for a long slow ride.

robbo
Went in tonight for a few hours. Only had one nibble. Tried in front of both incoming rivers. Armstrong hwy was terrible on the way home made for a long slow ride.

I was thinking of heading that way one more time before walleye closer. See if I can't get stuck one last time at legris before turning back to posh. Still lots of snow?

Buck 120

Tons of snow. Lots on the lake still, at least a foot.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

naden
I was thinking of heading that way one more time before walleye closer. See if I can't get stuck one last time at legris before turning back to posh. Still lots of snow?

Anyone manage to break a trail into legris?

robbo

As of 2 tuesdays ago, no. Tried going in but still too much snow for my sled. I thought that melt would've knocked it down enough but there I was, hand bombin the machine 180. Haven't necessarily thrown in the towel yet though. That ice will be on for awhile.

Guest Smack Um

In 1740 at the hieghth of the power of New France the Black Robe (Duluth) had two brothers one had a fort at Lac Des Isles the other at the mouth of the Little Jackfish River Ombabika Bay Lake Nipigon.

There was a minor hieghth of land portage separating Lac des Isles over land to the start of the Posh River a minor obsticle for two brothers that liked to keep in touch. :)

A dispatch was sent twice yearly by canoe they would rendesvous with a 20 to Sloop on the Posh River at about the same spot bellow the Hurkett Cut Off Bridge as the boat launch is today.

Furs and goods could be dispatched from Fort Lac Des Isles to the south down the Kam or to Lake Nipigon where they would rendesvous down stream at what is the town of Nipigon on Lake Superior with a 200 ton schooner at this time many more rivers and lakes where used as a mode of transportation than are today.

Patrick

walleyebob
In 1740 at the hieghth of the power of New France the Black Robe (Duluth) had two brothers one had a fort at Lac Des Isles the other at the mouth of the Little Jackfish River Ombabika Bay Lake Nipigon.

There was a minor hieghth of land portage separating Lac des Isles over land to the start of the Posh River a minor obsticle for two brothers that liked to keep in touch. :)

A dispatch was sent twice yearly by canoe they would rendesvous with a 20 to Sloop on the Posh River at about the same spot bellow the Hurkett Cut Off Bridge as the boat launch is today.

Furs and goods could be dispatched from Fort Lac Des Isles to the south down the Kam or to Lake Nipigon where they would rendesvous down stream at what is the town of Nipigon on Lake Superior with a 200 ton schooner at this time many more rivers and lakes where used as a mode of transportation than are today.

Patrick

good history lesson

Castnblast

Patrick

cool.

smokerscully1

Hey Kam Kid--where did you get that guote? It is a bit of an oversimplification. I doubt there where any 20ft sloops on Lake Nipigon in 1740. Sloops were the half-ton trucks of the era but came much later than 1740. Also prior to 1943 the Little Jackfish wasn't really a river--more like a creek and even then not as big as Lamoun creek which may have been where the Sieur Dul;uth had his post. The good Sieur also was not a 'Black Robe' but a trader. He did however have a liscense which is more than can be said for Radisson.

Guest Smack Um
Hey Kam Kid--where did you get that guote? It is a bit of an oversimplification. I doubt there where any 20ft sloops on Lake Nipigon in 1740. Sloops were the half-ton trucks of the era but came much later than 1740. Also prior to 1943 the Little Jackfish wasn't really a river--more like a creek and even then not as big as Lamoun creek which may have been where the Sieur Dul;uth had his post. The good Sieur also was not a 'Black Robe' but a trader. He did however have a liscense which is more than can be said for Radisson.

Point Aux Pins 1734 Ship Building Site and The Voyageur Locks at Sault Ste Marie were the base for Lake Superior Tall Ships the Duluth Bros built their small Sloop at South Bay on Lake Nipigon with materials brought by ship to Nipigon Bay where they were brought up stream.A Sloop was like a 1/2 ton of the day because it could go anywhere even right up a river and hide. :o

Patrick

Guest Smack Um

Ok do you like this better?...Daniel Greyson Sieur du Lhut of Saint Germain France was a French Soldier who latter became famous as a Fur Trader. One of his most famous forts was Fort Caministigoyan built in 1678 at the mouth of the Kamanistiquia River a Memorial Tablet marks the site which is located in front of the CPR Mechanical Facility @ 500 McNaughton Street.

Fort La Tourette built in 1683 on Ombabika Bay in Lake Nipigon and it was most likely built at the mouth of the Little Jackfish River as it gained access to the Ogoki and Albany Rivers to the north. :P

Patrick

smokerscully1
Ok do you like this better?...Daniel Greyson Sieur du Lhut of Saint Germain France was a French Soldier who latter became famous as a Fur Trader. One of his most famous forts was Fort Caministigoyan built in 1678 at the mouth of the Kamanistiquia River a Memorial Tablet marks the site which is located in front of the CPR Mechanical Facility @ 500 McNaughton Street.

Fort La Tourette built in 1683 on Ombabika Bay in Lake Nipigon and it was most likely built at the mouth of the Little Jackfish River as it gained access to the Ogoki and Albany Rivers to the north. :P

Patrick

Daniel Greysolon probably built Fort Caministgoyan in 1684 or 1685 not 1679 as many sources suggest--it was abandoned in 1696 and not re-opened until 1717. Sieur de la Ronde did build a 25 ton schooner at Port Aux Pins in 1734 so sloops on Lake Nipigon by 1740 is entirely possible. I stand corrected.

The Little Jackfish wasn't much of a river prior to the Ogoki diversion in 1943. If that was the route to the Albany it would have been tough sledding.

The history of Lake Nipigon is fascinating--you can pretty well navigate the Lake from reading Sir Umfreevilles journal. Many of the place names were already in place by 1784.

naden

looks like we've got ourselves a pissing match!

Guest Smack Um
Daniel Greysolon probably built Fort Caministgoyan in 1684 or 1685 not 1679 as many sources suggest--it was abandoned in 1696 and not re-opened until 1717. Sieur de la Ronde did build a 25 ton schooner at Port Aux Pins in 1734 so sloops on Lake Nipigon by 1740 is entirely possible. I stand corrected.

The Little Jackfish wasn't much of a river prior to the Ogoki diversion in 1943. If that was the route to the Albany it would have been tough sledding.

The history of Lake Nipigon is fascinating--you can pretty well navigate the Lake from reading Sir Umfreevilles journal. Many of the place names were already in place by 1784.

Interesting I have been to Summit #1 Control Dam we landed with my neighbours Piper Cub on the Little Jackfish River and fished @ the Dam several years ago there was lots of water flowing.

There would have been considerably less flow prior to the construction of the Waboose Dam but you could reach the top of Summit Lake and it is not like the voyageurs where strangers to the portage ie: Grand Portage,Kakabeka Falls etc...

This after all is NWO even flying over the Nipigon Escarpment can be dangerous with all of the Up Drafts and Down Drafts pretty scarry stuff in a small air plane. :wacko:

Patrick

smokerscully1

I didn't mean to hijack the thread and I certainly didn't mean to start a pissing match. I did learn something very interesting about Port Aux Pins. Thank You Patrick.

I used to drink coffee years ago with Ole George Cheboyer in Nipigon. In 1937 and 1938 he canoed around the entire perimiter of Lake Nipigon--took all of 2 years to do it. He was of the opionion that the route to the Ogoki was up the Ombabika river and then portage to the Kapikotopnga river.

Guest Smack Um
This thread reminds me of:

OMG combining two of my favourite TV Shows sheer genius.

Cheers...Patrick :P