• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest massaro

steelhead

Travis Schallock

Some people want to share and do, and others don't and keep quiet. Great, now lets move on, is it really worth pages and pages of arguement over who is right?

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

shmanks

i can't wait to get out and try for some steelhead...i've been fishing for them for 2 years and still having caught one and my girlfriend has shown me up on several occasions last year, but i have a feeling this year will be mine! and i get to test out the new fly rod.

gsambray

on a new note (back to where the steelhead topic was about how people are doing) i was at the current river for awhile today and the water is running freakin fast. broke my line a few times and decided it was a bit too fast to fish yet. I will keep trying some new spots around town and hopefully in the next week or so see the action pick up. as for telling about locations to keep everyone happy, i will only name rivers and not were on them. if you would like some advice on were to try feel free to pm me or heck i will even post when i am planning to head out again. just look for the little dakota parked by the river and you will probably find me.

Good luck out there and be safe in the fast water (dont need to catch someone who fell in and didnt make it out)

Guest TerryK

Story time!

When I was about 13 still learning the stealhead game (u never stop learning i guess). I saw two old men (well they were about 40-45, which is an old man when youre 13) physically fight in their waders over a small run (that I think the one guy move into while the other was landing a fish). Needless to say to this day I've never fished there even though it is a river my family has fished on since I was born lol.

I love this time of year :D

Ah the good old days!! :P

Guest troutsandy

Well I can tell everyone that the trout are in thick on the Maitland!..I do an annual trip to southern ontario for the opener because I actually find it super exciting to fish around 50+ people all in the same area catching fish and having a good time...but thats a once a year thing. Once I get back to the north shore, its holes that ive worked a bit to find and I dont antipate too much traffic at these spots...Personal preference I suppose

walleyebob

Well I can tell everyone that the trout are in thick on the Maitland!..I do an annual trip to southern ontario for the opener because I actually find it super exciting to fish around 50+ people all in the same area catching fish and having a good time...but thats a once a year thing. Once I get back to the north shore, its holes that ive worked a bit to find and I dont antipate too much traffic at these spots...Personal preference I suppose

did you fish on the way back around the sioux at all i have always wanted to fish those rivers, heard lots of good things

Guest troutsandy

did you fish on the way back around the sioux at all i have always wanted to fish those rivers, heard lots of good things

Too early yet, still lots of ice on the rivers between Tbay and the Soo. St. Marys is flowin good, guys are startin to get em but Im taking a few days to drive back to Tbay and will spend some time on a few rivers out that way. Nice to have a few weeks off before heading to work for the summer!

Guest souonter

where do u go on the maitland? I did 95% of my steelhead fishing there before I moved up to thunder bay. By the amounts of people you mention I'm going to guess the mouth of the river or close to it?

Guest Chad

For what it's worth steelies are in the lester river in numbers now, if you want to make the drive to Duluth :)

Figured I would give away a hot spot ;)

Guest troutsandy

where do u go on the maitland? I did 95% of my steelhead fishing there before I moved up to thunder bay. By the amounts of people you mention I'm going to guess the mouth of the river or close to it?

Fished the mouth area up to hwy 21 bridge twice in the last couple of day cause its open year round and still lots of freshies comin in. Opener is time to move upstream, Benmiller and beyond!

Guest souonter

Fished the mouth area up to hwy 21 bridge twice in the last couple of day cause its open year round and still lots of freshies comin in. Opener is time to move upstream, Benmiller and beyond!

cool, you probably fished around my dad at some point. He has a trailer in that little park closer to the mouth. GL up river, wherever it looks like there's fish there probably is lol, that river is great. It was on an episode on WFN for steelhead fishing.

Guest ericanderson

Wow, hey guys? Maybe we need a general fighting forum on the site as well. I come here to check the status of the run and maybe even hear of somebody's success stories only to find 3 new pages of fighting and arguing. Pretty sure this is an annual occurrence since I've been on board here, every time the steel start to run. Oh, and Shmanks, you can stop telling the whole board that your girlfriend outfishes you, WE KNOW ALREADY.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

yup , roger should have made a steelhead forum, then just lock it so no one can comment

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

shmanks

Wow, hey guys? Maybe we need a general fighting forum on the site as well. I come here to check the status of the run and maybe even hear of somebody's success stories only to find 3 new pages of fighting and arguing. Pretty sure this is an annual occurrence since I've been on board here, every time the steel start to run. Oh, and Shmanks, you can stop telling the whole board that your girlfriend outfishes you, WE KNOW ALREADY.

what's the problem with that? i could care less what you think...I'm at least coming here to share my unsuccessful stories and not coming here to complain and whine

• Like 1

Guest Wes

... that river is great. It was on an episode on WFN for steelhead fishing.

It WAS a good river. It's only a matter of time now and the hoards will be all over it. But I bet it was fun while it lasted. ;)

• Like 1

wampa

I don't understand how SOMEONE ELSE posting about spots THEY are fishing is ruining YOUR secret sport that YOU have put x number of hours into finding over the last 20 years. None of the rivers around town have any secret spots on them. If your spot is so secret and you don't want anyone else ruining it, then don't tell anyone. Go stand there by yourself and have fun. Maybe if the self-aclaimed "diehards" spent more time fishing and less time trolling internet forums, there wouldn't be this issue year in and year out.

• Like 3

Never hold your farts in.

They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

AnarchistPuppy

Forum needs a 'like' button like on Facebook to promote good posts. I like Wampa's post.

Fishbum

Going to have to agree. I'm tired of hearing people complain that others are giving away there secret spot....well obviouly if other people were there its not such a secret then is it. And as for the point you don't like fishing around others and being crowded...( and i don';t either) but you know how i solve that.....get up earlier..can't countt he number of times i've been up at 3-4 am just to stand in the dark and wait for enough light to see my float. If you can't...and sometimes its like that...go find a differenmt spot...there are fish where you'd least expect it....and if your an avid steelheader....you should be able to read the river and figure this out. Chnage your prsentation, size, colour, technique, drop line sizes, do what you gotta do, and thiose fish even if they have been caught once more often than not will hit again after the people flog the hole for a while and move on.

There more fish in the seas!!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

Forum needs a 'like' button like on Facebook to promote good posts. I like Wampa's post.

press green + button for like and - for dislike. it changes poster rating so dont abuse it

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

shmanks

right above where it says reply on a persons post there is a + and a - and it will show +1 or -1 on their post :)

AnarchistPuppy

Thanks guys I see it now. Doesn't show up on my phone so I missed it earlier. The new layout seems to have a built in trimmed down mobile version. The mobile version is awesome but cuts out the extras to save bandwidth I think.

Guest jackfish pete

My suggestions for those looking for fish this spring that work anywhere, along with a few conservation tips. If you read the next lines vertically (the first letter of each line) you will find my top secret spot!

Fish slowly early since they are slow in cold water

Ice-out is the best time for float fishing

Nymphing works best later in the run in shallower water

Dry flies work best at he bottom of pools where the current is picking up again.

One fish maximum, must be over 27" in some rivers. I wouldn't keep one myself

Use a glove and hemostats to handle fish

Tagged fish should be reported to the MNR

Yarn or sponge can be used as a subsitute for roe

Orange and pink are the preferred colours, but chartreuse works too

Unused spawn sack should NOT be left on the bank

Roe must be kept fresh

Spoons and raps make a good alternative

Eight to twelve pound test line is conventional, though I use 4 unless there are a lot a potential break-offs

Light spinning reels are sufficient

Fish long and fish hard-persistence pays

Bullshark

Hey!! That's my spot!

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Guest ericanderson

what's the problem with that? i could care less what you think...I'm at least coming here to share my unsuccessful stories and not coming here to complain and whine

Sorry there Shmanks, no offense intended, I was joking. Just the fact I've seen you write that on more than one thread here was kind of funny to me, sorry bud. Again, did not intend to offend you man. And also props for not whining and complaining, especially about being outfished by your girlfriend.