• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
naden

Truck Camper in a half ton

naden

I have a half ton truck with an extra leaf in the back. My truck camper weighs about 1400lbs. Just wondering what anyone else has done to their trucks to increase their capability to haul a heavy load. I am leaning towards air bags instead of over load springs. Anyone know of a good place to get half ton air bags or a recomended brand? How about price?\

Thanks for your help

Chris

Lyle Reiner

We sell alot of stuff to do that at Fort Garry Industrys, anything from Timbren springs to air helper springs.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

gsambray

deffinetely recommend air bags. when you dont have a heavy load you air them down and dont loose you ride quality then air'em up for those heavy loads.

Garbie

I ran firestone air bags in my half ton for a while to help and compensate for weak springs. They are nice and ran about $350, I think. Got mine at Tractor Trailer on water st. One thing to consider is the weight capacity of your axle and tires. You might want to consider something like an E rated tire. Some half tons use a pretty small rear diff and weight like that might put a toll on the bearings. I don't think I would even try that weight with a gm 10 bolt. Is that the dry weight of the camper? Or is that loaded with water and all your gear? You would be surprised how quickly the gear adds up.

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

air bags air real nice and ride awesome. but they do create a problem with axel wrap, where as over loads remedy this.

axel wrap is the tendancy for the pinion to point upwards under acceleration, or driving up steep grades and can cause hanger bearing and output shaft issues. axel wrap is amplified with block lifts.

id go overloads, they never leak

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Smokey

I went with the timbrens as they are easy to install and nothing to breakdown. Quite impressed with the difference in the truck when camper is on now.

naden

That is the dry weight of the camper. I dont use the water tank and dont have much for gear i usually throw most of it in the boat behind the truck which is just a 12 deep and wide. The truck is a dodge ram with a chrysler rear end and dana 44 front. I dont have large blocks in the back but there is factory blocks. I have 285 tires which i beleive are load range E. Smokey did you notice a ride difference at all with the overloads and no weight in the back?

Thanks for all the replys

Smokey

When not loaded with camper or other load the timbrens are about 3/4 of and inch above the Axle. So you don't notice any difference at all but then again I'm driving a 3500 HD so it's a rough ride from the factory. When the load is on the truck I notice a more solid ride with no lean on corners.

naden
When not loaded with camper or other load the timbrens are about 3/4 of and inch above the Axle. So you don't notice any difference at all but then again I'm driving a 3500 HD so it's a rough ride from the factory. When the load is on the truck I notice a more solid ride with no lean on corners.

Thanks I will look into these