• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest vida26

Brook trout in arrow??(size, west or east?)

Guest vida26

I know the mnr stocked the west arrow narrows with brookies a while back but are they just in that area? or have they been caught throughout the whole lake??! has any been caught there recently ? and is there any good sized?

Guest redcanoe

I caught one in west arrow about 2 miles up the south side of the lake a couple of years ago in july on a very hot day in the afternoon. It was 16 inches long.

Guest vida26

ok thanks. i've been asking around and heard they're all over the lake and are big too. and I was out there last week and caught a 5 lb spec. Just wanted to find out if anybody else caught them out of there

Guest redcanoe

5 pounder? wow,congrats on that. When I caught my spec, I had just caught a laker about a minute earlier in same location. Love fishing west arrow as there are lots of different species and not that many people seem to fish it. The only drawback for me is the winds as I use a canoe.{ a red canoe of course}

Guest vida26

when I had it on the line, spec was the type of fish i'd least expect to come out of the hole. I thought it was a whitefish or a pike the way it was taking line like crazy...the winds can get very bad I know! I have got a camp at east arrow, frog portage bay is a lot calmer than the main part of the lake!!

Some Old Guy

I don't think Arrow Lake is in the stocked list program and it is NOT mentioned in the Additional Fishing Oppourtunites Portion of the Regulations. Therefore I think that the Brook Trout that are in there fall under the closed season portion of the regs.

4th Sat in April is when Brook Trout opens and closes on Labour Day.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but we as fishermen/women have to educate ourselves to the laws.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Some Old Guy

Boulevard Lake was also stocked with Brook Trout. Just because a lake is stocked does not mean it's open all season.

Roger

Some Old Guy

Well I was just trying to help out and I didn't want anyone to get charged.

The only other way I can help is to delete this thread. I just wanted to inform people that just because a lake is stocked with brook trout does not mean it's a put and take lake. I'm not pointing fingers I'm just sayin'!

Roger

sportspal

Are we talking about west arrow lake the small lake at the west end of big Arrow lake? or talking about the big arrow lake?

Hunter

Little arrow, west arrow, and arrow lake are all closed to brook trout at this time of year going buy the regs. from what I read.

Guest redcanoe

is this confusing or what?? lets see-we have east arrow and west arrow that are also known as arrow lake or big arrow lake. at the west end of west arrow lake aka big arrow aka arrow lake is a small stocked lake also known as westarrow lake. even though it is stocked with brook trout it is closed in the winter. Are the brook trout in big arrow lake natural to the lake or were they stocked at some point ? stocked brookies don't reproduce do they? if so why have a closed season on stocked lakes{excluding boulevard which is understandable?}

Some Old Guy

Yes, stocked brook trout can reproduce if they have the habitat for it.

The lakes that are open all year were deemed that brook trout wouldn't be able to reproduce as there wasn't suitable spawning grounds in those lakes.

Stocked brook trout can roam. Look at the one that was caught in Whitefish Lake. They aren't supposed to be there but the season was still closed for them there.

Roger

Hunter

Don't know if it was ever stocked(arrow lake be it west or east ) I know there have been brook trout in the big Lake for years. If you look at maps there seems to be creeks flowing into it that come from spec lakes. So how they got there?? We have hooked in to 20in plus in the big lake and in the same day 10 inch ones.

Some Old Guy

If you are not talking about Arrow Lake (Both east and west portions) and talking about a small lake in that area then I take back my statements.

Roger

Hunter

I think in was started on the big lake, but with three lakes and names so close it's puzzling

Guest redcanoe

so basically if you are fishing on any lake that is not on the stocking list for brook trout and is not listed as an exception ( such as big arrow lake) and you happen to catch a brook trout even though brook trout are not known to inhabit the lake, the lake is considered to have a closed season for brook trout. On a related topic it would be interesting to find out whether the natives stocked some lakes hundreds of years ago. I know in B.C. they transported salmon eggs from one river to other rivers to create more salmon runs. In this area there are many trout lakes on top of mountains and I think to myself-IT ISNT THOSE CRAZY ALIENS DOING THIS IS IT? just kidding.

Some Old Guy

Well, there are fossils of marine animals way up on Mt. McKay. So I guess at one time the water levels in Superior were much much higher than now. Maybe Brook Trout stayed put in the `Pot holes` when the water receeded. I'm guessing the same happened with Lake Trout.

Thousands of years ago Lake Nipigon and Superior were one body of water.

There's evidence that the mouth of the Kam River was once in Stanley!

Roger

Guest redcanoe

this lake was known as lake minong. the northern shoreline of this lake was not much different than it is today. to the west in the lower lying areas-kam river valley and so on was part of this lake. Also the oconner twp area was under water and known as lake conner. along the shoreline of these lakes were paleo indian settlements going back to at least 8000 b.c. Many artifacts have been found on the arrow lake shoreline and north of whitefish lake dating from this time period. Of course on the north side of thunder bay where it is higher the shoreline was much closer to the present shoreline. this is where the most recent discoveries have been found(on highway between hodder avenue and McKenzie Inn.) So this area has had settlements for at least 10,000 years. how did these people shape the landscape? I know personally walking through the forest I have come across groups of artificial mounds that make me wonder why they are there and who made them and for what purpose?

Pound 4 Pound

Roger I believe that all closed brook trout lakes open the last Sat in April if I remeber right unless it has changed?

pastor norm

I have seen brookies caught in the spring while trolling for lakers in Arrow. Nice sized ones. But they are rare. They have to be Nipigon-type strain to be the size they are. When you think of it, Arrow reproduces some of the very same conditions you find in Superior or Lake Nipigon so there is a good fit for a genetically pre-disposed fish escaping a small lake where they were stocked and finding a decent life in the bigger clearer waters of Arrow. Perhaps Arrow "coasters" have been there all along but I think someone told me once that they were plantedby MNR sometime ago.

Like any very unique and rare fishery, PLEASE release them. You are getting good table fare from the Lakers, anyway. It's your right, of course, to take your fish in the open season. But why? Try to encourage their numbers and you will help build something pretty special in the years to come.

Guest redcanoe

probably 99 percent of the people who fish are fishing only occasionally. The other 1 percent seem to fish 150-200 days a year. If the 99 percent catch a nice fish occasionally and it is legal and in season I encourage them to keep it,eat it,and brag about it you chose because you know you are not harming the fishery in any way. I personally fish out of a canoe- I might fish 30 times a year if I am lucky. when I camp overnight I make sure the sight is clean when I leave. I don't spew carbon into the air because I am paddling. I might keep 20 fish I catch each year. I just like to be out in the wilderness. I find it hard to stomach advise from the 1 percent of people who probably catch and eat 10-20 percent of the fish, lecturing people to release fish. I am also am not a fan of people who seem to make a living off recreational fishing by promoting products that make it easier to catch fish, such as electronic devices. So stop with the holier than though attitude. you 1 percent are the reason the rest of us feel like criminals when we are fishing. The rules are because of YOU not us-do you get it!!

pastor norm

hey... redcanoe... I did say please. :)

• Like 1