• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

starting out trappin

gsambray

I have always been interested in trapping. how would i go about it? is there a course i would have to take? or i have even heard its and apprenticeship you have to do. and do you have to own a trapline or can you just set up on crown land? if you do need to own a trapline, how much do they cost. any info would be greatly appreciated

Thefishleclair

You need to complete the manditory course, 44or 48 hours. I do not belive there is an apprenticeship program. To obtain a trapline you can go with a few venues, Apply for the ones that come open by the MNR, Secure privatle lands and submit them to the MNR with the landowner-trapper agreement sheets or you can have a trapline tranferd to you from another trapper which just passed in 2010.

For the Course outline and schedules you can call the LOcal MNR office..they can direct you in the right direction. Or look around the site. Look under regulations. Fur Managers

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest John@LTLL

I took the trappers course but the MHR will not give me a trappers licence until i get a trap line or start working on a line as a helper

Nobody is willing to give up a trap line and there is no lines available in crown land the last one i saw for sale they were asking $10.000

On private land you need the owners permission in writing give it to the MNR and you are off trapping

Don't know why everyone is holding on to their trap lines there is no money in trapping

If i had known what i know now i would not have taken the course

Most trap lines are passed down from generation to generation

Hope this helps you

Thefishleclair

Dont get discouraged, Finding private land to trap is not to hard. I secured allot of Private in a short amount of time. I hold 3 Licenses to trap. 2 as a Helper one as a private. I have to drop my one helper license and I took over the other line I was a Helper on. I will keep my private and Obviously my line and drop the other helper line.

Get out to the bush nock on doors. I started out by helping with beaver issues and it boomed into lots of private land permissions to trap.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

gsambray

in order to help with beaver issues i know i have to complete the course and then what? i guess find someone with an issue get there permission and apply with the mnr i am guessing. then get the license and go from there. does that sound right?

Guest John@LTLL

Sorry if i discouraged you but i haven't given up i'm still looking for a line.Where i'm from there is only crown land,if anyone knows of a trap

line for sale or if someone needs a helper around the Nakina area let me know

Thanks

gsambray

not discouraged at all. it will be a lot of work but it will be satisfying when i get it going. first i am gonna take the course and then start pounding the pavement or should i say gravel LOL.