• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
James01

Firearms in the offseason.

James01

I am curious... what are the official regulations involving carrying a firearm in the woods when there is no hunting season going on? For instance, I believe rabbit season extends until the first of June in this area (at least it did at one time, I don't hunt Spring rabbits so I am not sure anymore), so if I have a small game license there is nothing to stop me from carrying my 12 gauge while wandering into a lake. Right? But what of the summer? I can drive out to a pit and target shoot without anyone getting worked up about it (and I believe it is even legal to do so), so can I have a gun in the woods in July (for instance) when I am making my way to a secluded lake? I could do so under the auspice that I am planning to target shoot if the fishing is slow. And when I am camped for an extended period of time (less than 21 days), my camp is my residence so I can have a gun with me, can't I? The reason I ask is bears... I have a few favorite Spec lakes that I hike into, and I have been harrassed a few times by, what seems to be, the same bear. And when I am camped out, I have a lot more faith in my 12 gauge than I do a can of bear spray. And for the record, I am asking before I make the potential mistake of taking my 12 guage with me. ;)

And I am not asking if it is wise to do so, nor am I looking for the suggestion that I need only report problem bears to a Conservation Officer, I am wanting to know the actual law concerning having a firearm in the woods outside of hunting season - actually, a brief summary would be better. Thanks.

p.s. Having spoken to an OPP officer about it, I know they haven't a problem with it provided that my registration, etc., is all in order (and it is). That is, from their standpoint there is nothing prohibiting me from carrying a firearm. Thus, it would seem to fall under the jurisdiction of the MNR where seasons, etc., are concerned.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Guest MNR

I am curious... what are the official regulations involving carrying a firearm in the woods when there is no hunting season going on? For instance, I believe rabbit season extends until the first of June in this area (at least it did at one time, I don't hunt Spring rabbits so I am not sure anymore), so if I have a small game license there is nothing to stop me from carrying my 12 gauge while wandering into a lake. Right? But what of the summer? I can drive out to a pit and target shoot without anyone getting worked up about it (and I believe it is even legal to do so), so can I have a gun in the woods in July (for instance) when I am making my way to a secluded lake? I could do so under the auspice that I am planning to target shoot if the fishing is slow. And when I am camped for an extended period of time (less than 21 days), my camp is my residence so I can have a gun with me, can't I? The reason I ask is bears... I have a few favorite Spec lakes that I hike into, and I have been harrassed a few times by, what seems to be, the same bear. And when I am camped out, I have a lot more faith in my 12 gauge than I do a can of bear spray. And for the record, I am asking before I make the potential mistake of taking my 12 guage with me. ;)

Since this question has been asked previously, I have provided the response given before.

The incidence of injury caused by wildlife to individuals who live, work and play in remote areas is extremely low.

If you feel it is necessary to carry a firearm for protection, it must be sufficient to dispatch an animal quickly and humanely. A firearm suitable for dispatching a black bear is a high-powered rifle in at least a .270 calibre or a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with rifled slugs. Rim-fire .22 rifles and small bore shotguns are unsuitable for dispatching large animals.

There is no general prohibition in provincial law against carrying a high-powered firearm in Ontario but in an area with an open hunting season you must carry a hunting licence valid for the open season species. You may not possess any firearm in most provincial parks except when and where hunting is permitted. You may never possess a firearm in a Crown Game Preserve. Federal legislation prohibits all but a few specially licenced individuals from carrying handguns of any sort. Your decision to shoot a bear in defence of life must be defendable. There have been several recent convictions in court where a person shot a bear and was unable to convince a conservation officer and Justice of the Peace that they or someone else were in immediate danger. If you walk around with a firearm outside of the hunting season, you will draw attention to yourself.

Section 109 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) states that possession of a firearm in an area usually inhabited by wildlife is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that the person was hunting. Anyone carrying a firearm for any reason other than hunting is required to clearly show that they were not hunting.

Except in very specific circumstances, the FWCA also prohibits the carrying of loaded firearms in a vehicle, including motor boats, all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles. All firearms must be encased from one-half hour after sunset through to one half-hour before sunrise.

There are also Federal laws that govern the possession, storage and carrying of firearms. According to the Firearms Officer of the Thunder Bay Police Services, a firearm in a tent must be treated the same way you would if you were at home. A tent does not afford enough security against theft and therefore if you leave the area you must either take the firearm with you or lock it in a vehicle and store it unloaded and out of sight. Discharging a firearm at night is dangerous. Information can be obtained on the website of the Canadian Firearms Centre at http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca or contact your local police service.

And I am not asking if it is wise to do so, nor am I looking for the suggestion that I need only report problem bears to a Conservation Officer, I am wanting to know the actual law concerning having a firearm in the woods outside of hunting season - actually, a brief summary would be better. Thanks.

p.s. Having spoken to an OPP officer about it, I know they haven't a problem with it provided that my registration, etc., is all in order (and it is). That is, from their standpoint there is nothing prohibiting me from carrying a firearm. Thus, it would seem to fall under the jurisdiction of the MNR where seasons, etc., are concerned.