• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bottom Bouncer

Stuck Pedestal Seat

Bottom Bouncer

I have a pedestal seat which is stuck in the base. It's the older type with the wedge plug in style. You push the black tab in at the bottom of the pedestal and that should release it, but thats not happening. Any suggestions besides taking up the floor would be appreciated and I already tried putting wd-40 around the base. Thanks

REELBAIT

DJL66

Had the same problem on my older Alumacraft. I pulled like heck and when it finally popped out just before my disc herniated in my back I took some 220 grit sand paper and sanded the inside of the pedestal base. This seemed to do the trick but I also frequently applied WD-40 to the base as a preventative. Aside from pulling it out I'm not sure of any other way.Good luck.

NWO

I tried lots of things when it happened to me....

I poured ice water and then hot water on it, WD-40, vibrating it with a power tool, and whacked it with a hammer.

I think I needed all those tricks to finally have it pop out.

Bottom Bouncer

Thanks for the quick response guys. I ended up putting a pipe wrench on the base with some new rubber back carpet I had left over and used it as a buffer so not to scratch the pedestal and tapped the pipe wrench with a hammer to kinda jar it lose and break the seal it created, once that happened it popped right out.

A big Thanks goes out to my boat pit crew leader Roger Mayer for the great advice and a simple fix. Thanks Roger it was in there good.

REELBAIT

eyelander

get a 2 ton bottle jack under it, block of wood above and below as close to the shaft as possible. Hold the release and start slowly pumping. Maybe have a 2nd person hold the seat.

OR............Sounds like the release is not working properly. Maybe get something long and thin and push it down the outside of the release. It could just be fatigue in the release and it is not completely releasing beyond the catch point.

OOPS...........to late, glad you got it out.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest fishfinn

My last boat had the wedge style bases for the seat posts that I also had trouble with. I ended up carrying a rubber mallet in the boat and would often have to beat the post silly to get it to pop.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is only an issue for 'portly' fisherman? :unsure: