• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brett S

Steelie

CaddisMan

Looks like an "It was THIS BIG" story. :D

Guest BLR-WSM

Just caught a 28" and a bit hen yesterday and it weighed 7lbs on a digital scale....did you actually weigh yours?

Anyways nice fish and I would love to see the picture.

Guest Big Moose

I hauled in a 28"er on sat. but it was no 11.5 pounder I didn't weigh her in as it was released as well as quite a few 20-21's I kept one 21"er for eating because she was bleedin like crazy tasted great on tha barby

Guest KINGKAN

Are u sure it was 11.5 lbs? I actually weighed a 28.25 inch hen on a digital scale and it was just over 7lbs. A walleye has to be roughly 32 inches to be 11lbs and they are typically a thicker and denser fish per inch.

Guest Brett S

I wieghed the fish after about 4 hours out of water and it wieghed a little under 11 1/2 pounds. i thought i attached the pic (thats why it says "this") but i noticed after that it said the file was to big. i'll try to make it work and get the pic posted.

Guest Munshaw

You kept an 11.5 lb. fish out of the Mac? :(

Hopefully it was at least spawned out.... :unsure:

Guest TerryK

You kept an 11.5 lb. fish out of the Mac? :(

Hopefully it was at least spawned out.... :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing!

grumpy

I wieghed the fish after about 4 hours out of water and it wieghed a little under 11 1/2 pounds. i thought i attached the pic (thats why it says "this") but i noticed after that it said the file was to big. i'll try to make it work and get the pic posted.

I am sorry that you thought that you had to kill this fish, but this is where a little education can go along way. The MaKintyre and Neebing rivers are what are urban fisheries, these rivers should be protected at all costs. We are so lucky in Thunder Bay to have these rivers producing the numbers of fish that they do. If it was not for the efforts of the NSSA there probably be no fish in either of these rivers. Now you were not breaking any law by killing that fish, it was over the required length. Please consider that many people have cought their first steelie in these rivers and thats what turned them on to this type of fishing. The twelve year old kid sitting on the bank watching you bonk that fish did not learn a good lesson in ethical fishing. That fish that you killed probably was on one of its last runs if not its last, it was full of eggs and the genetics behind a fish of that size will surely be missed by the river that it was taken from. The next time anyone considers taking a steelhead from one of the local rivers take a minute and think about it. I want my kids kids to be able to go down there and catch 15 fish in a day just like I did when I was a kid. The only way that this will countinue is if we let all the fish go.

Gone8to1248

I am sorry that you thought that you had to kill this fish, but this is where a little education can go along way. The MaKintyre and Neebing rivers are what are urban fisheries, these rivers should be protected at all costs. We are so lucky in Thunder Bay to have these rivers producing the numbers of fish that they do. If it was not for the efforts of the NSSA there probably be no fish in either of these rivers. Now you were not breaking any law by killing that fish, it was over the required length. Please consider that many people have cought their first steelie in these rivers and thats what turned them on to this type of fishing. The twelve year old kid sitting on the bank watching you bonk that fish did not learn a good lesson in ethical fishing. That fish that you killed probably was on one of its last runs if not its last, it was full of eggs and the genetics behind a fish of that size will surely be missed by the river that it was taken from. The next time anyone considers taking a steelhead from one of the local rivers take a minute and think about it. I want my kids kids to be able to go down there and catch 15 fish in a day just like I did when I was a kid. The only way that this will countinue is if we let all the fish go.

Very nice reply Grumpy and very educational. Being a non-resident and not knowing the different waterways in Thunder Bay it's helpful when you locals put notes llike this on the board for us to read. It helps to understand why you want the fish put back and you did a very good job of explainning it. Looking forward to more informative post like this.

Gone8to1248

Guest Didgeridoo

Grumpy, no offence but playing a guilt trip reflects badly on boards such as this. When somebody catches a good fish and decides to keep it and it's legal, you don't have to judge. Limits are there to conserve the populations. I do understand that you'd like to see the population sustain its numbers and I think the amount of garbage is more of a concern than a good fish going home for supper. I'm from out of town and currently in Tbay for two weeks and I am totally disgusted by the amount of garbage on the banks. :-S

Nick

Guest troutnut

Yes, the garbage issue is out of control. Coffee cups, split shot packaging, balls of spent mono, plastic bottles....etc. Seriously, pick up your sh!t. And if you see someone throw something on the ground, say something. Just because it is an urban fishery doesn't mean we need to fish through our own waste.

peace

e

grumpy

Grumpy, no offence but playing a guilt trip reflects badly on boards such as this. When somebody catches a good fish and decides to keep it and it's legal, you don't have to judge. Limits are there to conserve the populations. I do understand that you'd like to see the population sustain its numbers and I think the amount of garbage is more of a concern than a good fish going home for supper. I'm from out of town and currently in Tbay for two weeks and I am totally disgusted by the amount of garbage on the banks. :-S

Nick

No guilt just reality, let them go. I am sure if you ate enough fish out of ThunderBay Harbour you might grow scales. I could only image the mercury content in that fish. 8-10years of living in a toxic soup!!!!! but really. If it was not for the NSSA the limit would still be 5 fish, the ministry also allowed for 30 pre-spawn female steelhead to be killed for a southern Ontario's professor's pet project (counting eggs). The ministry cannot even get the 2007 regulations out until 2008, can we really relly on their guidlines? Think about it.

If you want to catch a steelhead try moving 2 km up river from the mouth you might actually catch some steel. Try a piecs of yarn.

30" ?????

Guest Mr. Canoe

If you're only allowed to keep big ones, then what do you expect will happen? I think it makes sense because if she is on one of her last spawning runs, then she wasn't going to be around as long as her smaller cousins anyways, right?

I find this guilt tripping really strange since most steelheaders will keep a hen so they can have some bait. I think most have already admitted to it on this board, so what's the big deal?

Also, the fish out of Thunder Bay have a pretty good rating in the Guide to Eating sport fish. Much better than Nipigon Bay....

speckmaster

I don't think Grumpy is trying to lay a guilt trip. He is simply stating his opinion. Even though I don't fish for steelhead, I do agree with him.

Guest Mr. Canoe

Fair enough, SpeckMaster. I don't want to discourage anyone from giving their opinions because thats one thing that makes a site like this really interesting. What I really mean is that I don't think it's a big deal, especially in a river with a slot limit...

Guest Big Moose

I too agree with grumpy on this thread.I don't think it was a guilt trip more like an educational tid bit.

Guest TerryK

I agree that we should not be attacking (not that anyone was) fellow members about keeping a pefectly legal fish (remember the picture with the 2 kids and a bunch of brook trout?) but some of our posts did come off a bit rough on a new member.

If he wanted to kill a fish for eggs, assuming it was a female, he got the right fish as these large females produce a lot of eggs. For eating purposes, a 20 inch fish is much better from what I remember. I haven't killed one in at least 20 years. (anyone got any extra spawn? :P )

Keep in mind that the prime breeders are the much smaller fish, hence the slot limit on the Neebing/McIntyre and these large females are past that prime. The slot was put in place to allow these fish to spawn a number of times before they were susceptible to being killed by an angler.

Guest KWA

It is unfortunate that a MacIntyre fish was killed. There are certainly better choices when deciding what river to keep a fish from - a short drive out of the city gives you many options where there are healthier steelhead populations. While it may seem the Mac has a good run, most steelheaders realize that the limited number of fish in this urban stream are being caught over and over in the few areas where they are held up on their run... therefore giving the illusion that the population is strong. If you're new to steelheading, you probably don't know the reason behind the 27" minimum size limit: First, it ensures every fish will contribute to the Mac's gene pool at least once. Second, making a river catch & release only opens up a whole pile of problems, so placing a ridiculous size limit, like 27"minimum, still (almost) ensures that everyone will release all their fish, because nobody wants to eat a fish that big due to the obvious health risks. In addition, a big fish like that is rarely fooled by anyone other than a top-notch steelheader - and any such angler realizes that these huge fish are genetically superior and their ability to deposit thousands of big, genetically superior eggs is vital for the survival of a river such as the Mac. Unfortunatly, some people don't realize there are so many better bait options than steelhead roe (bonk a few pink salmon this fall!) There is nothing that can be done about this one fish now & the population will not collapse because of this, but we must continue to educate whenever we have the opportunity - whether that is on the river, or on this board.

Keith

Guest TerryK

In my experience, large fish are no more difficult to catch than smaller ones, there are just less of them to catch so your chances are not as good. Just ask the large buck I caught twice in ten minutes on the same spawn bag.

Guest Dan

First, it ensures every fish will contribute to the Mac's gene pool at least once. Keith

I'm not in total agreement. Here's why. This is an old fish. Possibly on it's last spawning run. It has done its job regarding passing on its gene pool. Way more than once. That is the reason for the 27" minimum rule. It's past its prime. It's a great gramma. The 27" minimum rule seems to be working great. There's been lots of fish caught over this mark in the past few years. That's what we want. Isn't it? I'm sure that lots of people keep one fish a year for its eggs. So you keep a smaller fish from elsewhere. What about the guys that don't have the luxury of owning a vehicle? The kid that rides his bike or takes the bus to the Neebing, Current or Mac? Shouldn't they be allowed to take one fish per year as well? Or should they be penalized because they don't own a vehicle? I'd rather see a big, old fish kept rather than a 24 inch prime spawner. And I'm seeing just that. Congrats to the MNR, NSSA and whoever else was involved in making this law. It's working just fine. Congrats Brett.

speckmaster

First off, I think the original post is bogus. I think someone posted the message just to get a few people excited...and it worked. The one thing that bothers me is the mentality of some people. The reasoning that just because it is legal then it is alright isn't one that holds well with me. If you use this reasoning then everyone should smoke because it's legal. Everyone should drink excessively. Should people go out and target female bass in the spring that are protecting their young fry? It's not illegal. If we treat our fishing resources using this kind of thinking then I think the health of our rivers and lakes is in grave danger.

Just MY opinion...

Guest KWA

Terry, you say "the large fish are not the prime brood stock they once were". I don't blame you for questioning a post - there is certainly some uneducated opinions out there, but I just spoke to a good friend, who is an MNR biologist, and he thought I should post again to help ensure the correct information is in the final post. Please consider not responding again before you can talk with your highly knowledgable fishing partner tomorrow. LARGE STEELHEAD ARE GENETICALLY PROGRAMMED FOR FAST GROWTH, LATE MATURITY, AND LONGEVITY. HARD SCIENCE HAS PROVEN THAT THESE BIG FISH ARE THE MOST VALUABLE SPAWNERS. Assuming a big fish is old and less usefull, is, quite frankly, wrong. A big fish like the one in question has likely spent four years in Superior before it's first spawning run. Therefore, it has not had to regain weight lost from spawning, nor has it had to replenish its gonads... all its food & energy has instead gone into overall growth. This rare combination of genetics and favourable lake residency, in addition to a supply of protein-rich forage, is what makes fish big. A big fish is not neccessarily older than a smaller fish, because the smaller fish may have only one or two years in Superior before its maiden spawning run. A big 30" fish may still be young enough to spawn successfully several more times. Besides the shear number of eggs a big female can deposit, these are the genetics we want to be passed along too. If we're dealing with a big male, then it is even more valuable because it has the ability to spawn (and pass on those good genes) with multiple females in each spawning year. EVEN IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE SCIENCE, PLEASE RELEASE THE BIG FISH, IF ONLY TO PROMOTE GOOD CONSERVATION VALUES FOR THE NUMEROUS ANGLERS ON OUR URBAN WATERWAYS.

Dan, I have kids, I teach kids, I run a fishing club for teenagers, and, I can tell you without a doubt, that kids go fishing to CATCH fish, not to KILL fish. Research has proven that the "24 inch prime spawner" you speak of could very likely be older than a 27" fish and the smaller fish is certainly not more valuable. The 27" size restriction is an effective way to make a stressed river "catch & release", without making the very politically incorrect decision to make that river "no kill". Please remember that the MacIntyre, which is a huge watershed originating from Trout Lake, had a dangerously small run of only 400 fish, according to the MNR/NSSA counting station, when we put that regulation in place a few years back.

I sincerely apologize for having to point out mistakes here, but it is important that we have accurate information & hard facts available for anyone who might want to harvest a steelhead this season. I would encourage anyone who still questions the value of a big fish to contact the MNR's Lake Superior Management Unit at 475-1231.

Keith

Guest Beamer

Terry, you say "the large fish are not the prime brood stock they once were". I don't blame you for questioning a post - there is certainly some uneducated opinions out there, but I just spoke to a good friend, who is an MNR biologist, and he thought I should post again to help ensure the correct information is in the final post. Please consider not responding again before you can talk with your highly knowledgable fishing partner tomorrow. LARGE STEELHEAD ARE GENETICALLY PROGRAMMED FOR FAST GROWTH, LATE MATURITY, AND LONGEVITY. HARD SCIENCE HAS PROVEN THAT THESE BIG FISH ARE THE MOST VALUABLE SPAWNERS. Assuming a big fish is old and less usefull, is, quite frankly, wrong. A big fish like the one in question has likely spent four years in Superior before it's first spawning run. Therefore, it has not had to regain weight lost from spawning, nor has it had to replenish its gonads... all its food & energy has instead gone into overall growth. This rare combination of genetics and favourable lake residency, in addition to a supply of protein-rich forage, is what makes fish big. A big fish is not neccessarily older than a smaller fish, because the smaller fish may have only one or two years in Superior before its maiden spawning run. A big 30" fish may still be young enough to spawn successfully several more times. Besides the shear number of eggs a big female can deposit, these are the genetics we want to be passed along too. If we're dealing with a big male, then it is even more valuable because it has the ability to spawn (and pass on those good genes) with multiple females in each spawning year. EVEN IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE SCIENCE, PLEASE RELEASE THE BIG FISH, IF ONLY TO PROMOTE GOOD CONSERVATION VALUES FOR THE NUMEROUS ANGLERS ON OUR URBAN WATERWAYS.

Dan, I have kids, I teach kids, I run a fishing club for teenagers, and, I can tell you without a doubt, that kids go fishing to CATCH fish, not to KILL fish. Research has proven that the "24 inch prime spawner" you speak of could very likely be older than a 27" fish and the smaller fish is certainly not more valuable. The 27" size restriction is an effective way to make a stressed river "catch & release", without making the very politically incorrect decision to make that river "no kill". Please remember that the MacIntyre, which is a huge watershed originating from Trout Lake, had a dangerously small run of only 400 fish, according to the MNR/NSSA counting station, when we put that regulation in place a few years back.

I sincerely apologize for having to point out mistakes here, but it is important that we have accurate information & hard facts available for anyone who might want to harvest a steelhead this season. I would encourage anyone who still questions the value of a big fish to contact the MNR's Lake Superior Management Unit at 475-1231.

Keith

Very well put Keith, good information.

Beamer