• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brett S

Steelie

Guest Munshaw

Keith,

I ended up going 128 for 159 suckers yesterday. We talked about going out maybe tomorrow, give me a call!

Guest TerryK

Keith: Thank you for correcting me on a fact that I should have well known! I'm kind of embarrassed. I guess I wasn't paying as close attention as I thought I was. Just goes to show, that we can always learn something no matter how long we are at this game.

Guest Brett S

First off, I think the original post is bogus. I think someone posted the message just to get a few people excited...and it worked. The one thing that bothers me is the mentality of some people. The reasoning that just because it is legal then it is alright isn't one that holds well with me. If you use this reasoning then everyone should smoke because it's legal. Everyone should drink excessively. Should people go out and target female bass in the spring that are protecting their young fry? It's not illegal. If we treat our fishing resources using this kind of thinking then I think the health of our rivers and lakes is in grave danger.

Just MY opinion...

the original post is not bogus, i did catch a 11 1/2 pound, 29 1/2" steelie. the pic would be posted but i can't get it on because it says the file is over the max size alowd.

grumpy

Great looking fish to bad she did not get a chance to lay her eggs. I kept a 30 incher from when I was about 13, that was some time ago when we did not know any better and killed everything. What do you intend on doing with the fish now? I mounted mine, I have caught many more over the years I am sure if you keep it up you will get many more as well. There are several photo contests floating around out there you have a great picture I would suggest that you enter some contests.

Guest Brett S

i was thinking about mounting it im still not sure. it will cost i think around $300. it would look great on the wall right ABOVE my dad walleye. but smoking it had crossed my mind. would a fish that big taste bad if i ate it with out smoking it?

Guest Dan

That's a beauty fish Brett. And a great photo too. Get it mounted. It will be a great keepsake. Catch and release is important for sustaining the fisheries these days, as has already been stated. I'm sure that you either know that or have learned a lot about it in this thread alone. Catch and release is an evolving process. I've been practicing catch and release for about 35 years now, so I know a thing or two about it. Don't feel bad about keeping it. I'm sure that almost everyone that has put you down for keeping it has kept one or two that size or bigger in their time. Enjoy your moment Brett. And congrats.

Castnblast

Here you go. Brett and his fish. You be the judge.

IPB Image

Hey Brett, nice fish. I agree with Dan - put it on the wall above your dad's eye for sure. You'll enjoy a good mount for many years.

cnb

Guest fishinbuddy

Brett nice fish. You were the topic of alot of controversy here. Don't feel bad keeping your first trophy we all did it at one time or another I'm sure! So be proud. Keep in mind for the future, if you don't really Know how you will eat it (smoking or on the barbey). Then get all the measurments and a couple of pics. Now adays someone will make you a dandy fiberglass replica that will byfar out live a natural mount.

Fishinbuddy

Guest Brett S

thx for the comments and advice guys. i think i will get it mounted. but does a fiberglass mount cost more than a normal one.

Guest TerryK

thx for the comments and advice guys. i think i will get it mounted. but does a fiberglass mount cost more than a normal one.

I believe the replicas do cost a bit more but they are worth it. The thing about replicas is that you can take some pictures, measure the fish then release it and still have a mount to show off. Since you kept the fish you might as well get it mounted.

Ok, I'm not harping on you here, just some words of wisdom! lol

One thing you will find after a few years of catch and release is that you will take FAR more joy in releasing a beautiful trout like that than keeping it. I have kept more than my share of large bows (but not in over 20 years now) and I find it very satisfying just to watch a trophy fish swim away unharmed.

Guest Brett S

I took your advice grumpy and put the picture in a photo contest. if everyone could vote for me i might have a chance at winning. u can vote at this site: MY NAME IS BRETT SMITH

http://www.2catchfish.com/photo-contest/to...ived/0/start/15

thx to everyone who has put in their 2 cents on this thread. i learnd some things and im sure everyone who read it learnd quite a bit too.

Plz vote