• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hurketthunter

Buck tag is filled

Hurketthunter

Well I filled my buck tag this morning with a fat 6 pointer. Met him on my way to a ground blind I was planning to hunt but never quite made it. One shot to the neck at 50 yards and that was all she wrote for him. Looking forward to the deer tenderloin for dinner tonight. Good luck to everyone this season.

Hurketthunter

post-839-0-38095000-1318886866_thumb.jpg

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

neck shot eh? nice!! was he bedded down and you woke him?

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Hurketthunter

neck shot eh? nice!! was he bedded down and you woke him?

No actually we met on a corner, he was walking toward me as we met. I froze and he couldn't figure out what I was. We had a stand off for a few minutes until he slowly turned and started walking toward the trees. Managed to get the rifle to my shoulder without spooking him and that was about it. He dropped right at the edge of the trees, no tracking required for once.

Mr. Canoehead

Nice work and I like the picture! I managed to get my buck last week in the pouring rain :ninja:

BuckNut

Congrats, nice deer. Be careful with those neck shots though. ( although using a Sako does increase your odds!! )

Hurketthunter

Thanks and I agree about the neck shots as I usually don't take them. However with the deer quartering toward me at that short distance I was pretty confident and it seemed better than shooting for the lungs and dealing with the possibility of the bullet traveling into the paunch. Thanks for the kind words guys.

Hurketthunter

Mr. Canoehead

Two of my whopping 3 career deer were shot while quartering towards me...both times i shot just below the level of the shoulders and it hit in the center of the chest and exited just behind the far shoulder, penetrating a lot of bones along the way but then i am using bullets designed to penetrate. In the hunting course we were taught not to take those shots because it could hit a bone and not ever make it to the vitals but thats not been an issue. I must say though this year was the best because I shot him broadside and he traveled hmm .. lets see...a total of 0 yards after i shot him B). As a new hunter mostly flying solo i really like hearing details about other guys hunts such as shot placement and all those other important things that happen between seeing it and eating it. So thanks guys... good luck to all reading this and wish me luck on my doe tag.

Mr. Canoehead

Yeah i got before and after pics here ya go...

post-466-0-24701400-1319544071_thumb.jpg

post-466-0-85366200-1319544222_thumb.jpg

Guest Wes

Congrats to both of you. Both quality bucks. Not huge, but you won't have 80lbs of sausage either. That would be the size I hope for. I too am a solo hunter plus I don't have a quad, so I am dragging out what ever I drop.

Mr. C, I am in the opposite boat. I tagged my Doe last week and now looking for my buck. I had 3 more Doe hang around in my cross hairs since but had to watch them walk away.

Mr. Canoehead

yeah you gotta love dragging it.... i still have a scab on my shoulder where the leather belt i had around his antlers dug into my shoulder lol but that method went much faster than just tugging at it. I even had a shot opportunity at the doe that was with this guy as well because she only ran 20 yards after i shot the buck...but her head was behind a tree and i wasnt positve she wasnt just a small buck... just as well it was exhausting enough dragging one! if anyone wants to go hunting i would be up for that..

oh and its blurry but if you look in the background you might notice my "women in waders" 2011 calendar :wub:

RLK

yeah you gotta love dragging it.... i still have a scab on my shoulder where the leather belt i had around his antlers dug into my shoulder lol but that method went much faster than just tugging at it. I even had a shot opportunity at the doe that was with this guy as well because she only ran 20 yards after i shot the buck...but her head was behind a tree and i wasnt positve she wasnt just a small buck... just as well it was exhausting enough dragging one! if anyone wants to go hunting i would be up for that..

oh and its blurry but if you look in the background you might notice my "women in waders" 2011 calendar :wub:

Thats why you should buy my deer cart for sale on the buy and sell board under hunting stuff. Throw the deer on the cart and wheel it out of the bush.

Hurketthunter

Nice deer Mr. C, I might be up to getting together for a hunt, still have a doe tag that needs filling. What area are you hunting in?

Mr. Canoehead

Nice deer Mr. C, I might be up to getting together for a hunt, still have a doe tag that needs filling. What area are you hunting in?

In 13...up spruce river rd.