• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gsambray

highway driving and hunting

gsambray

Iam planning a day trip to Geraldton in the upcoming weekend. I know that in order to shoot you must be on the other side of the ditch from a highway or roadway. what are the laws to carrying your firearm. i just want to clarify since i have heard many different rules. Am i allowed to have my firearm out of the case as long as it is legal hunting hours and unloaded while traveling on the highway? and are there anything else that i shoud take into consideration ie. private land and no hnting areas.

Thanks.

Guest MNR

First and foremost, the highway you're talking about is the trans Canada highway. The posted speed limit is 90 kph but most vehicles travel it at 100 kph. It is not safe to drive down the highway at a slower speed looking for moose. Transport trucks are not expecting to come up behind someone driving slowly and have them pull over unexpectantly. Don't drive and hunt the highway right of way.

Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, you cannot shoot from, across or down a roadway. South of the French and Mattawa Rivers and in areas near Fort Frances and Kenora, you cannot possess loaded gun within 8 metres of the travelled portion of a road (or roadside fenceline where one exists). See pg 21 of the 2011 Hunting Summary for a detailed description.

You have a legaal and ethical obligation as a hunter to know that the area you are about to shoot into is crown land, not posted to private property and that the shot can be made safely. I doubt that during your drive to Geraldton you will have a map on the seat and know where you are at all times. (crown vs private)

Firearms must be unloaded when in a vehicle and must be encased 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hr before sunrise.

Hunting carelessly is an offence. Hunters who handle or discharge firearms without due care and attention or consideration for persons or property are liable to a fine of up to $25,000.00 or imprisonment for up to 2 years - or both. You could also be charged under the Crimminal Code.