• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Mr. Canoehead

got in trouble at work for talking about hunting

Mr. Canoehead

My supervisor had to pull me into her office to let me know that someone had complained that they overheard me and some co-workers talking about hunting and it hurt their feelings or something like that. Not that my sup cares about it but apparently someone does so talking about hunting within earshot of other people at work is now not allowed. SMALL MINDED PEOPLE AND THEIR MAGICAL FOREST CRITTERS!! They must think their mcdonalds burgers grow on burger trees I guess. If they were vegetarian (which they're not) I would at least respect their point but in my opinion the animals in the factory farms go through way worse than the deer I shot. Maybe i will complain next time I hear someone talking about KFC at work lol :fire: ...end of rant....anyone else have an experience like this?

levi64

I'm pretty sure you have the right to know who the complainant is. I don't know where you work but I would have taken your supervisor and anyone else who didn't like it to task. Last I heard freedom of speech which does not involve racism, sexism or threats is okay. I don't know how you managed to keep quiet, i dont' work there and i'm steamed.

Mr. Canoehead

I'm pretty sure you have the right to know who the complainant is. I don't know where you work but I would have taken your supervisor and anyone else who didn't like it to task. Last I heard freedom of speech which does not involve racism, sexism or threats is okay. I don't know how you managed to keep quiet, i dont' work there and i'm steamed.

Thanks levi...i didnt exactly stay quiet but to be honest i dont even want to know who it was...im pretty low on the totem pole anyways so i dont wanna rock the boat. Need my job too bad to pay for more hunting and fishing gear :lol:

levi64

I can understand that.

eddylives

Well in order for this to work there is to be no talk of anything then.

I may be offended by a person talking about sports or gardening or anything else out there.

The whole system is turning everything into a real crap show...people need to suck it up and deal with things but instead whine and cry because they think its wrong then everyone should think their way.

I for one would stand my ground and state that all chitchat ends or the hunting/fishing/outdoors talk will continue.

There are laws against unlawfull dismissal without just cause.

If a person does not care to listen to the topic of discussion they are more than free to walk away.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

Well here goes,

I deal with many issues at work.

#1 Scent free workplace. No perfumes or heavy smelling deodourant. People have physical reactions to it.

#2 Sexist type of jokes. Someone can be offended by it. Even if they just over hear the comment/joke it becomes harrasment.

#3 Certain types of pictures and sayings, eg: Merry Christmas. This signifies a certain type of religion and excludes other types. This is why you hear on tv, radio, newspapers and store signs saying, Happy Holidays. (which, in my thinking is a different spelling for holy days)

#4 The biggest one anyone has to worry about is making a comment that is known to be unwanted. So now about the comment above, the crap can hit the fan since Mr Canoehead now knows that these hunting/fishing comments are unwanted.

But the bright side of it is that fishing and hunting comments are quite acceptable. The person might be turned off by graphic accounts of blowing a deer's head off so you might want to avoid that portion. Try saying you harvested a deer.

There is a ton of work place legislation out there now where even asking a co-worker for their phone number can lead to consequences! Work places are now demanding to know if you are having a relationship with a co-worker. This is to help deal with the fall out of the relationship breaking up.

It's getting crazy out there!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Traquer

Keep talking ... don't give in. PC is a slippery slope which defends the woosy fringe while it protects those in real need. We must be able to distinguish between the two. As my father used to quip, "Non illegimati carborudum" which he said meant "Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down!"

RN54

This blerb was sent to me apparently out of a newspaper

To all hunters who kill animals for food, shame on you,

you ought to go to the store and buy meat that was made there

where no animals were harmed.

THEY WALK AMONGST US AND THEY VOTE TOO.

Guest Beamer

I hear ya, was sitting in Toronto at the airport working on my laptop. My screen saver is a picture of this years archery buck, and I was minding my own business but a lady sitting nearby made some negative comments and gave me quite a hassle about my hunting picture. Never occurred to me it would offend someone,especially on my computer minding my own business.

Beamer

Some Old Guy

I have been noticing people will come right up into your face and express their opinion now.

Just do what I do and scratch your rear and say I like onions.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

crisop

I hear ya, was sitting in Toronto at the airport working on my laptop. My screen saver is a picture of this years archery buck, and I was minding my own business but a lady sitting nearby made some negative comments and gave me quite a hassle about my hunting picture. Never occurred to me it would offend someone,especially on my computer minding my own business.

Beamer

i hope you told her to mind her own business and showed her more dead animals. Hell i would have, hell i have....lol

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest Beamer

I have been noticing people will come right up into your face and express their opinion now.

Roger

How did you know I like onions :D Beamer

Guest Beamer

i hope you told her to mind her own business and showed her more dead animals. Hell i would have, hell i have....lol

Yes I give here my take on hunting and my opinion on people who like the force their views on people mindinbg their own business, not like I was bothering her about her hobbies

Beamer

PRO V

Roger

:lol:

tracker

Beamer, I could see some ignorant SOB in Thunder Bay making a statement, but Toronto. I just got back from the Toronto airport and that place has such a mixed breed of people. It wouldn't suprise me to see someone dragging a dead animal through that airport, never mind just a picture.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{