• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Nailed

Are the steelhead in the rivers yet?

brookiebuster

I'll be goin out this week at some point.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest Carter

yeah im gonna wake up at 6 am and go check out the river on saturday, thanks for the replys everyone.

Guest John Schmidt

yeah im gonna wake up at 6 am and go check out the river on saturday, thanks for the replys everyone.

maybe one more saturday

Guest TerryK

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret. The trick to learning and becoming a effective steelhead fisherman is time on the river. The more you are out on the water, the more you learn and the better you become. You will learn all the little details of how these fish work. Weather, temperature, timing, habitat not to mention bait, presentation and gear, it all comes with time. If you just sit and wait for someone to tell you there are fish in the river, how do you know the conditions the day before and what changed that triggered the fish to start moving up.......or down the river for that matter?? I've been alone on rivers when the conditions were far from what one would think were ideal, but I had a hunch, and maybe a little bit of knowledge of the creature and with that I've had some amazing fishing when almost everyone else was sitting at home waiting for the "right" conditions.

I've been fishing steel for around 40 years and every single time I hit a river I learn something by being observant and analyzing my surroundings and the conditions. Time is the key.

• Like 1

arvey

i agree with terry time on the water is a must and that goes for any speices. i read an infisherman article many years ago and

water temp played a big part . i don't remember all the specifics but it explained what the fish would be doing at differant temps. things like short runs long runs jumping and it also talked about what they like at these differant temps single egg, yarn flies and so on.

i do like to fish them but i'm no expert if i get lucky fine if not oh well. try again another day.

arvey

Mr. Canoehead

With all this talk of rainbows, I've been thinkin about salmon, any idea if they're in the nipigon yet?

Salmon run up the Nip in the spring? Really???

Lyle Reiner

Lol no I was just harassing the steel headers

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

do the walleye feed on their spawn during the run? anyone ever caught walleye on a drift?? i figured the mouth of BS would be alright for steelies but you'd also snag a ton of illegal walters

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Chuck

Lol no I was just harassing the steel headers

Salmon run up the Nip all year long

Git "er done

shmanks

i am itching to go out :) wonder how its going to be after the rain on friday....this year i am determined to catch my first steelhead got all my equipment and ready to go and hopefully ill get one

Guest TerryK

i am itching to go out :) wonder how its going to be after the rain on friday....this year i am determined to catch my first steelhead got all my equipment and ready to go and hopefully ill get one

PM me. We'll get you on some fish soon enough!

SherpaJ

I'm fairly new to thunder bay and have been loving all the fishing opportunities in the area! I was able to hook into some real nice salmon on the Nipigon in the fall and am now hooked on river fishing! Will definitely be trying my luck on the rivers east of town this weekend for my first steelie as well.

I've been hearing lots of talk of using spoons to catch steelhead, and on the other hand, spawn sacks or yarn. Is there a reason for using either or just preference? (Are Spoons only for larger pool and eddies and at the mouth of the river) Also, do you want your spawn sacks to drift down with the current, or be weighted down enough so that they stay put. Thanks a lot in advance!

brookiebuster

I use spoons in deep pools,river mouths and for shore casting.I use spawn,yarn,marabou jigs etc.. when fishing faster water and smaller pools.I put split shot about 12" above the spawn sack so it can float off the bottom so you get less snags.Also three way swivel rigs work good in faster, snag infested water.

James01

As was already reported, McVickers (sp?) Creek is wide open (I live beside it)... no fishermen [sic] yet. I wandered down to the mouth yesterday, and open water extends a little into the lake. The lake is low - there is a sand bar extending out from the mouth that I have never seen before. I am not sure how this affects Steelhead (if at all), but I am sure 'smelters' are going to have an interesting time of it if the levels don't come up. I will report any thing I deem report worthy - like seeing people fishing, seeing fish, etc..

Cheers.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

filletandrelease

Wow. Forty replies to a non contest topic....That usually means the smelts have started. :lol:

Lyle Reiner

Inland lakes are stil iced over. NOT SAFE ICE, so what else is there to do but look for steel. Hopefully I'll catch my first this year!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

brookiebuster

I will give a report tomorrow on the mac.. :fishing:

brookiebuster

Its nice to catch bows in the pouring rain! Just hammerd em'.

Guest nicholasjordan

serious. I didn't go out today because I figured it was too early still.

brookiebuster

All that rain brought in a nice run of chromers.The water levels were high last night,then this morning they were about 6" lower.Still alot of water.

Lyle Reiner

Would you toss spinners, spoons or roe?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada