• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Nailed

Are the steelhead in the rivers yet?

brookiebuster

Roe was really hot today.All I used was roe.Give some hardware a try too!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

SherpaJ

I will give a report tomorrow on the mac.. :fishing:

By "mac" do you mean mackenzie or mcyntire?

brookiebuster

Macntyre.

Guest cstclair

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret. The trick to learning and becoming a effective steelhead fisherman is time on the river. The more you are out on the water, the more you learn and the better you become. You will learn all the little details of how these fish work. Weather, temperature, timing, habitat not to mention bait, presentation and gear, it all comes with time. If you just sit and wait for someone to tell you there are fish in the river, how do you know the conditions the day before and what changed that triggered the fish to start moving up.......or down the river for that matter?? I've been alone on rivers when the conditions were far from what one would think were ideal, but I had a hunch, and maybe a little bit of knowledge of the creature and with that I've had some amazing fishing when almost everyone else was sitting at home waiting for the "right" conditions.

I've been fishing steel for around 40 years and every single time I hit a river I learn something by being observant and analyzing my surroundings and the conditions. Time is the key.

Nice!

Guest cwp2011

seen a bunch of guys down behind Dennis Franklin today got a couple days off starting tomorrow might go check it out

Antonio

Raining all next week, I think I'm just gonna hold off till after that :P

Caught a small bow behind my friends place out in Lappe today

walleyebob

whos best to contact on tagged fish . i caught one and got a photo of the tag number ... is J.G the guy to contact?

unbedable

I could perhaps be wrong, but I was under the understanding that the tagged fish are recorded along with size measurements, a scale sample, and distinguishing marks. I'm not sure if the number alone would be helpful, but good question would be interesting to know.

You are correct JG would probably be you're go to guy (site name Mykiss). I'm not to sure which river you caught it on, but it's interesting if you got it somewhere other than Portage which I believe Is where the tagging is done. I know they travel but it's amazing to see how for the most part return to the same stream year after year after cruising the big water.

Anyways, good job catching one. I've ventured the in town rivers for a bit but didn't see anything. I'm assuming the cold snap will also have an effect on the runs.

walleyebob

They tag them in town aswell and yes a measurment would help them but I didnt have a tape on me as i wasnt planning on keeping any, and i am pretty sure only few people are allowed to legally sample the fish (i.e scale sample) as you need a permit or some sort of permission , atleast if they have the number they know its still alive and returning to spawn ! :D

Foozer

We landed a taged Steelhead last year.

We called J.G. with the tag number and color.

From that he was able to tell me the age of the fish, how many stream years the fish had prior to spawning, the number of lake years, and the number of times that particular had spawned as well.

Additional info was that length of the fish when it was captured, the year it was tagged and the location it was tagged.

Prettty interesting stuff they tell ya from just a tag number. Ours was landed well away from Porrtage Creek where it was tagged and it was three years older as well.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Guest Wes

If you catch any tagged Steelhead in the McIntyre please PM myself, Beamer, TerryK, or MyKiss from this site with the tag number.

If you happen to measure it that info would be cool to know.

For Eg.

I caught one the other day that Beamer tagged last year as part of the McIntyre study. He was 510mm and 4 years old. This year he was 576mm on his second spawning run. Cool info for sure. So if you get us the # and a measurement we can tell you how much it has grown and age.

If you catch one outside of the McIntyre please give that info directly to MyKiss as that fish may be from the Portage or a McIntyre stray.

Mykiss

Steelheaders.....tag return information is important to present studies been conducted by MNR and the NSSA...send information to Jon George @ MNR 939-3113 or E-Mail

jon.george@ontario.ca

Guest fishermen_18

yess they are in the rivers i caught 3 this weekend, 2 Saturday and 1 yesterday at the mac by the golf course Mackenzie falls there pulling them out like crazy

Lyle Reiner

Anyone find a pfluegar rod at the mckenzie tonight?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

walleyebob

Anyone find a pfluegar rod at the mckenzie tonight?

theres a post i seen about a lost rod at the mckenzie!!! never read it though

Antonio

Quick question, is the bridge behind the golf course on Central always busy or something? I thought you weren't allowed to fish there, but everytime I drive by there are guys jammed down there lately.

Mykiss

The McIntyre River is closed to fishing from the dam (fish ladder) at Lake Tamblyn to the foot bridge down stream. If you catch a tagged fish record the number (please do not remove the tag if you are releasing your fish) and send the tag number to Jon George @ MNR

jon.george@ontario.ca

shmanks

has there been lots of people out fishing the mac? is the water still freezing cold

brookiebuster

Lots of fisher people and the water is pretty chilly.

Guest fishermen_18

whos best to contact on tagged fish . i caught one and got a photo of the tag number ... is J.G the guy to contact?

heyy contact jon george at mnr his numbers 807-939-3113

Guest Beamer

Jon George is the best contact or you can forward the information to me(just pm me). We tagged 170 fish in the Mc Intyre in 2011 blue tags with a front dorsal clip. 2012 steelhead will be orange/red tags with an anal fin clip any information on tagged/clipped fish is appreciated and helpful. Tags are disc type located in the front of the dorsal fin sewn it, picture below shows tag location

P50101842.jpg

brookiebuster

Nice steelhead! Was that this year?