• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

Food for Thought

Guest Wes

With the steelhead waiting patiently at the door I thought I would post a few unwritten rules of the river. I have posted these once before but for those new to river fishing and for those who never learned the unwritten rules, here they are...

River etiquette is often overlooked in the face of a big fish waiting to be caught. Here are a few basics that are guaranteed to show other angler's your respect for the sport of fishing.

Respect an Angler's Space

This is probably the most violated rule on the river. Many popular sections of a river can be very crowded during the spawning run. Crowding another angler is inconsiderate. If you approach him or her, make sure to ask before moving into the area. Give the angler enough space so the two of you can fish without interference.

Don't Walk into a Run

Nothing aggrevates a veteran steelheader more than another angler walking into a run of fish. Most of the time it's because the person is not familiar with the stream. Most new steelheader's are not yet accustomed to reading water. A common rule I use is "don't go past your knees". Once again, watch where people are fishing. If you're not sure, ask.

Don't Jump into Another Person's Spot

When an angler is fighting a fish, more than often they may have to move from their spot to land the fish. This doesn't mean the space is available, because more than likely the person is coming back.

Don't Play a Foul Hooked Fish

If you foul hook (accidentally snag) a steelhead, snap the line. Tackle is cheap. Most foul hooked steelhead are very difficult to control, resulting in injury or unnecessary stress to the fish. Once foul hooked, they will leap from the water and thrash about, spooking the other fish. If you repeatedly fight foul hooked fish in a crowded section, you'll become very unpopular. Also, you will find most game wardens look at this practice unfavorably.

Respect People's Property

Every year more and more landowners have posted "No Trespassing" signs on their property because they're fed up with garbage left behind and a general lack of respect. If you come upon a posted property don't trespass. If you want to fish there, ask the landowner. If they say "no" respect their wishes. If they allow you, do something nice in return such as cleaning up garbage along the shore.

Don't Litter

First of all it's pollutes the environment and it's an eyesore. Some sections of streams have been closed to fishing because landowners were fed up with garbage along their property. Make it a habit to pick up discarded monofilament, cans and other trash, and dispose of them properly.

Questioning Anglers that Keep or Release Fish

There is nothing wrong with keeping a fish. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with releasing your catch. If you see an angler release a nice size fish, it is considered rude to say "Aren't you going to keep that?" or "You should keep that one!".

Give Others Space When Fighting A Fish

Give other anglers enough room to land their catch. If it's necessary, take your line out of the water to give them some space. This may happen when you're fishing down river and another angler has to move down river to land a fish.

Walk Quietly Around Others

Be courteous to those already on the streams. Walk behind other anglers and out of the water if possible. If you must stay in the water, walk with minimum surface disturbance.

I don't claim to be the ever lasting know it all, all I am trying to accomplish is save you from a nasty look or ear full from an angler who DOES follow these rules.

Safe and enjoyable steelhead season. Please help maintain our urban steelhead populations by practicing catch and release.

Wes

• Like 1

Guest John Schmidt

During the run, Thunder Bays Streams/creeks are really that busy and full with anglers ?

Guess Ill do most my steelheading in dorion area. Thanks for posting this, something good to know of course. These seem like rules that could easily be posted on the rivers, expecially during the runs if there this busy.

WalleyeWayne

Good rules to follow!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

thanks for the update again

and a short message to anglers who fish adjacent to where trails cross or intersect streams. ( not really an issue in town but dorion area has tons)

take note: if it has atv tracks, expect atv traffic.

i may have inadvertently upset a few anglers last spring while traveling along/across a river they had been fishing.

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Guest Wes

Yes it gets busy on our urban streams, some days unbareable. With gas prices this high, expect it to be busy in the city. Dorion is not much different John.

These are ment to be the "Unwritten Rules" per say. Just something all steelheads learn through experience. These "rules" shouldn't need to be on signs at the rivers. Then again, maybe they should. ??? Not sure I would want to see that though.

One other unwritten rule that should be included is... Help someone who deserves it, to the best of your ability. Someone who respects the unwritten rules and clearly needs help, should be helped.

Wes

Guest Munshaw

During the run, Thunder Bays Streams/creeks are really that busy and full with anglers ?

Guess Ill do most my steelheading in dorion area.

You think you're going to escape crowds in Dorion?? Keep going East my friend! Two hour drive plus and you might start to get away from crowds.

Guest John Schmidt

Yes it gets busy on our urban streams, some days unbareable. With gas prices this high, expect it to be busy in the city. Dorion is not much different John.

These are ment to be the "Unwritten Rules" per say. Just something all steelheads learn through experience. These "rules" shouldn't need to be on signs at the rivers. Then again, maybe they should. ??? Not sure I would want to see that though.

One other unwritten rule that should be included is... Help someone who deserves it, to the best of your ability. Someone who respects the unwritten rules and clearly needs help, should be helped.

Wes

Just meant it would be a little less crowded in Dorion area then the Mac where most people can easily walk to various spots on the river & I planned on following the said rules.

thanks

Mr. Canoehead

I'm originally from Toronto, you guys haven't even seen a crown in NWO, trust me. Don't worry about crowds just go and enjoy the peace and quiet, you will always find a place to fish if you dont mind taking a walk.

I agree with all the rules except i think it's ok to take someones spot after they travel downstream playing their fish. It does not have their name on it and its the perfect opportunity for someone else to give it a shot. Unless they call squater's rights, then it's legit :P

Heisenberg

Thanks for the list! As a total newbie steelhead hunter I'd say that most of these are common courtesy or even (un)common sense, but:

How about kayakers? Is it ok to cast a float at them?

/troll

H.

TroutHunter

Thanks for the list! As a total newbie steelhead hunter I'd say that most of these are common courtesy or even (un)common sense, but:

How about kayakers? Is it ok to cast a float at them?

/troll

H.

Just make sure it has extra treble hooks and give it a good yank when it gets close to them!!! Nothing worse than having a kayaker paddle right over your line, or straight through the pool you're fishing in. Have some courtesy, if you see a lot of people fishing in the area, go somewhere else.

• Like 1

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

McGinnis_Fishing

I disagree about asking someone why they arent going to keep that fish. I wouldnt take offence to that and if anything id take it as a complimemt? It shows that i care about the sport and respect the fish. I let it fight another day and give someone else a chance at catching themselves a fish. Also maybe them seeing that and you simply saying i dont need to keep them all will rub off on them and they will do the same. I dont know thats just my thoughts.

Heisenberg

Just make sure it has extra treble hooks and give it a good yank when it gets close to them!!! Nothing worse than having a kayaker paddle right over your line, or straight through the pool you're fishing in. Have some courtesy, if you see a lot of people fishing in the area, go somewhere else.

I'll just leave this here ...and yes, that's me, on the Little Jackfish:

402023_10151126493950276_624800275_22234539_1020022170_n.jpg

The bad news is that peak flow = good fishing and great kayaking. Neither of these groups own the river. I will float through with as little fuss as possible if I see fishermen (after all I am one of "those guys" as well, no matter from which perspective you are looking at it). I won't holler "caught anything yet", I might wave, but only if you don't scowl at me. If your line is right across the river I suggest you move it, as the current is giving my kayak little choice but to head downstream most of the time. To the fish I will appear as a chunk of ice or drift wood. Two minutes after I pass by things will likely return to status quo.

About that treble hook: Go for it. I'm wearing a helmet and usually carry a fairly significant knife as well as a camera.

I also have a four piece rod which fits great into my kayak. Some great water is accessible that way.

Peace!

Christian

heavy haul
Agree to disagree. I think you'd find most anglers would be having words with you.

Agreed...myself included

Guest TerryK

Thats not a very good attitude. Kayakers haver just as much right to the water as fisherfolks do. There's more than enough to go around. A kayaker floating through a pool is no more disturbance to the fish than a chunk of ice or debris. If they pass quietly then whats the problem. I have had guys stop in the pool and paddle around without regaurd for the fishermen, but in my 40 years of fishing steel it's only happened twice. Just like fishing, there's one in every crowd.

Guest TerryK

i think it's ok to take someones spot after they travel downstream playing their fish. It does not have their name on it and its the perfect opportunity for someone else to give it a shot. Unless they call squater's rights, then it's legit :P

You would be a VERY unpopular guy very quickly if you do that. The etiquette HERE is you do not take a persons spot if he or she has to chase a fish or is sitting on shore having lunch. It's considered very rude and sometimes downright douche-like by some. If you want to take a few drifts while that person is re-tying ASK. You'd be surprised how many would say yes, but if you do, make sure you don't overstay your welcome. The best way to avoid all this is to have good etiquette to begin with. You'll become well known as a good guy and people will share a spot with you, give you extra tackle if you need it and even share some secrets. It's much easier to be the bad guy, but people will figure you out quick and not give you the time of day. In have many many friends and acquaintances and we will all share a spot with one another if asked. As a matter of fact, it's quite normal to come upon a friend and have him offer up his spot for a bit while he eats or warms his feet on shore. Isn't that easier and more enjoyable than jumping in someones spot and ending up in a shouting match that ruins everyones day??

Chuck

I'm going to have to side with Roger on this issue I still can"t figure out how steelhead or rainbow trout if you may became such a GODLY fish

Tackle shops tell you you can"t catch em unless you buy this so and so rod then you need this special reel and line Oh you need strike indicators and gamagatsu hooks Thill floats and the list goes on and on Before you hit the water you've spent countless dollars and you end up without enough gas money to go fish for them

I"ve caught countless numbers with a simple mustad hook a split shot and dare I say it a Worm

Pete and Angello were catchin em on Jig flies one after another without even trying

Put a big Speck a 30 lb salmon or even a giant pike at the end of the line then I'm impressed other than that

They hang with suckers and smelts Perhaps Roger can make a seperate forum for "em That just me though

Git "er done

TroutHunter

I'd like to apologize for the post I made earlier... I posted out of reaction and didn't reflect on the entire situation from both sides of it. I took your comment about "How about kayakers? Is it ok to cast a float at them?" as a joke and was adding to the apparent humor... I guess i was wrong for assuming. By no means would I intentionally harm another outdoorsman on the river, lake, field, etc. No one owns the river and we all have a right to be there... I apologize for offending anyone.

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Heisenberg

No offence taken! It was a bit of a setup "troll" on my part :fire:

If I paddle down the river with friends I try to lead by example when considerate fisherman relations are called for. If one of my friends is being a "tool", intentional or not, I'll say something ...think of me as a fishing / kayaking embassador :P

Christian

Trevor Zimak

I saw a guy float fishing out of a rubber dingy today ... yes a blow up raft... down by the college while out running. LOL!! People were also are the wier today as well. I highly doubt any rainbows are in the rivers yet, especially with some of the ice jams here and there.

Guest TerryK

I'm going to have to side with Roger on this issue I still can"t figure out how steelhead or rainbow trout if you may became such a GODLY fish

Tackle shops tell you you can"t catch em unless you buy this so and so rod then you need this special reel and line Oh you need strike indicators and gamagatsu hooks Thill floats and the list goes on and on Before you hit the water you've spent countless dollars and you end up without enough gas money to go fish for them

I"ve caught countless numbers with a simple mustad hook a split shot and dare I say it a Worm

Pete and Angello were catchin em on Jig flies one after another without even trying

Put a big Speck a 30 lb salmon or even a giant pike at the end of the line then I'm impressed other than that

They hang with suckers and smelts Perhaps Roger can make a seperate forum for "em That just me though

So what you are saying is that all these guys (many of them my friends) that have 50-60 thousand wrapped up in a boat,trailer, motor, riggers, fish finders, trolling motors, 10-20 rods, reels, 100lbs of tackle, etc etc etc etc not to mention the truck to haul it all are wasting their money???? Well duh, we ALL are! No one NEEDS all that crap, bass walleye or steelhead angler alike, but if it makes our experience more enjoyable then you can hardly put a price on that. I can tell you one thing though, I get just as much enjoyment out of fishing for steel as anyone fishing for whatever is their passion and I probably don't have $3000 invested in all my current gear.

The only people I see pushing all the fancy gear are the people that push the fancy gear for a living. Thats what they are paid to do. I've caught a TON of fish on basic gear over the years, but the gear I have now is the most specialized (and effective) I've ever owned. The added bonus is that it is just plain fun and challenging to fish with and I'm not changing over to something else any time soon. Do I need a $1000 rig to catch steelhead? Hell no. Does it make it more fun for me? Hell yeah!

Monks

And here we go again! Same time, same place, same fish. Smoker is ready ;) . Let's hammer some spawning fish for a few weeks and then forget about them all year because they are "too tough to catch"? I am all for those that go crazy to catch a spawning fish in a small river. But really, an elite fishery? Sorry it is fishing, and like all fishing respect your fellow anglers.

Chuck

I totally respect fellow anglers I wont troll or full throttle by a guy sitting anchored with a couple of kids catchin a few walleyes and i certainly wouldn"t stand up stream of a fisherman working a pool for a nice speck But the Mac McVic Ishca or the Neebing not much of a sport there If you think that undersize and spawning fish aren't beeing taken

Walleyes are closed for the spawn But steelhead are special they bring in the big bucks

I prefer them in the fall They bite really good on spoons

Git "er done

Mr. Canoehead

You would be a VERY unpopular guy very quickly if you do that. The etiquette HERE is you do not take a persons spot if he or she has to chase a fish or is sitting on shore having lunch. It's considered very rude and sometimes downright douche-like by some. If you want to take a few drifts while that person is re-tying ASK. You'd be surprised how many would say yes, but if you do, make sure you don't overstay your welcome. The best way to avoid all this is to have good etiquette to begin with. You'll become well known as a good guy and people will share a spot with you, give you extra tackle if you need it and even share some secrets. It's much easier to be the bad guy, but people will figure you out quick and not give you the time of day. In have many many friends and acquaintances and we will all share a spot with one another if asked. As a matter of fact, it's quite normal to come upon a friend and have him offer up his spot for a bit while he eats or warms his feet on shore. Isn't that easier and more enjoyable than jumping in someones spot and ending up in a shouting match that ruins everyones day??

Well I don't go fishing to be popular. And besdies I didn't say I like to wait until someone momentarily leaves their spot and then poach it, I like my space and solitude...I'm saying when someone poaches my spot I wont be a big baby about it, and nobody should. Because it's nobody's spot. Screaming matches should be reserved for something serious like poaching or not offering me a beer. Retying? ok the person is still standing right there thats different, I would be pissed off too. Lunch break? If you've been fishing in that spot so long you need a lunch break you can definately part with it...probably to some kid who wants to catch his first rainbow, don't worry it's not gonna be me, I've been fishing long enuf to know to avoid steelheaders :P

Mr. Canoehead

I totally respect fellow anglers I wont troll or full throttle by a guy sitting anchored with a couple of kids catchin a few walleyes and i certainly wouldn"t stand up stream of a fisherman working a pool for a nice speck But the Mac McVic Ishca or the Neebing not much of a sport there If you think that undersize and spawning fish aren't beeing taken

Walleyes are closed for the spawn But steelhead are special they bring in the big bucks

I guess that makes you a "spoon Chucker" doesn't it? I'm a spoon chucker too..and yes I've caught 'em on worms as well but shhhhhhh