• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wes

Food for Thought

Guest John Schmidt

I guess that makes you a "spoon Chucker" doesn't it? I'm a spoon chucker too..and yes I've caught 'em on worms as well but shhhhhhh

whats wrong with spoons.. I use various Little Cleos for 50% of steelheading, actually anything for the river. It works, I like being able to control my lure, and the steel really like them. And as long as the fish are happy then everything is fine haa

Guest TerryK

Boy, you guys sure read a lot into what people say dont you? Unreal.

What have you guys got against steelheaders? Most of the the people I know are great folks who bend over backwards to help others and to be courteous. No one said it was an elite group. Steelheaders do what they do, others do what they do. Whats the problem? lol

Funny thing is, I'm one of the very few steelhead fishermen that actually come on here and say my piece or offer advice to newbies. Most others want nothing to do with the place because they are constantly attacked if they say anything. It's posts like some of the ones above that stir up all the crap, not something an actually steelheader posts. This constant phishing is tiresome.

• Like 1

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

this is like watching the same car crash in slow motion every year. you see whats gonna happen but you cant stop it

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Mr. Canoehead

It's because of the elitism Terry, that I have it out for them. For me it goes back to bad experiences trying to learn how to fish as a kid. And yes I admit I was trolling and snagged a steelheader theyre easy targets while theyre in the rivers lol.

Joh Schmidt: i was joking a "spoon chucker" is a term used by fly anglers mostly to describe your average joe as if there is something wrong with that. And it's funny cause his name is Chuck. Little cleo rocks for everything, I also like williams Jr and blue fix vibrax spinners for steelhead.

John

WalleyeWayne

I would be willing to bet most of us got our start into fishing by riding our bikes to the local rivers (Neebing River in Fort William) - McVicars in PA) and watch people fishing for steelhead. I'm sure we can all recall seeing a couple guys down there with their 10' rods, nice fishing vests, trout net on the hip, tossing a roe bag upstream and working it down. If you were like me, I would ride home, grab my dad's rod (the one with the Zebco closed face reel & 6' rod), tie on a nut for weight, tie on a basic hook, get some of moms red wool and head back to the river to try it out. I never caught much, maybe a few suckers at first, but I certainly learned by watching those guys that were decked out. I also learned about bank fishing etiquette. At the same time more than half the guys on the river had big 3-prong hooks and were snagging suckers that were stacked up thick enough to walk on. From there you begin to choose to be the type of fisherman you want to be. Do you want to become an efficient angler - or a "reefer" of suckers? Despite what is written here, the river bank, and the people fishing it, usually take care of their own!

Castnblast

this is like watching the same car crash in slow motion every year. you see whats gonna happen but you cant stop it

Hahaha...true!

Castnblast

I would be willing to bet most of us got our start into fishing by riding our bikes to the local rivers (Neebing River in Fort William) - McVicars in PA) and watch people fishing for steelhead. I'm sure we can all recall seeing a couple guys down there with their 10' rods, nice fishing vests, trout net on the hip, tossing a roe bag upstream and working it down. If you were like me, I would ride home, grab my dad's rod (the one with the Zebco closed face reel & 6' rod), tie on a nut for weight, tie on a basic hook, get some of moms red wool and head back to the river to try it out. I never caught much, maybe a few suckers at first, but I certainly learned by watching those guys that were decked out. I also learned about bank fishing etiquette. At the same time more than half the guys on the river had big 3-prong hooks and were snagging suckers that were stacked up thick enough to walk on. From there you begin to choose to be the type of fisherman you want to be. Do you want to become an efficient angler - or a "reefer" of suckers? Despite what is written here, the river bank, and the people fishing it, usually take care of their own!

Same, and ditto on the hex nut tackle,

Castnblast

It's because of the elitism Terry, that I have it out for them. For me it goes back to bad experiences trying to learn how to fish as a kid. And yes I admit I was trolling and snagged a steelheader theyre easy targets while theyre in the rivers lol.

Joh Schmidt: i was joking a "spoon chucker" is a term used by fly anglers mostly to describe your average joe as if there is something wrong with that. And it's funny cause his name is Chuck. Little cleo rocks for everything, I also like williams Jr and blue fix vibrax spinners for steelhead.

John

My favorite spoons are sliver Delphins with a slash or red and the Gibbs Koho. They cast a mile and have an exaggerated concave that let's you fish them a little slower.

Hey canoe... That's "spoon chacka" round these parts lol

Chuck

Elitism..... Wow that one slipped my mind But tell them that you use a worm to catch those glorious steelhead Go wash yer mouth and break your rod in half and stand in the corner till I say so

But really though ...Terry has a point If he is willing to be an ambassador for the sport willing to help newbies to the sport of presentation and preservation Kudos to you Terry

To the average Joe fish like myself and Canoe they are just a fish that are avalible in the spring nothing more

They are aliens somewhat like pink salmon chinook or coho They are not natural

If I stand beside someone on the river bank with his thill floats Sage rod a nice Martin reel Cabellas waders fancy hat and all ..as soon as that Vibrax hits the water and I nail one right away after buddies been there for an hour or so I really don't need a speech about

Ok shall I say it again Elitism ....Spoon Chucker ...Buddie walks away shaking his Tilly hat

Git "er done

Guest John Schmidt

Keep that CLEO confidence coming! Wasn't trying to sound defensive about spoons Ha. I to also use Mepps Little Wolf, Krocs, EGB(Mostly lucky strikes imitation) and panther martins, and mostly countdown raps and Kwikfish. Although I plan on catching one or two TRYING float on a drift have not before.

Ps-Is the steelhead meeting tonight? new members aloud to come tonight, I paid my dues at the outdoor show.

fisherdude

i do beleive the meeting was on the 15th.

TroutHunter

Keep that CLEO confidence coming! Wasn't trying to sound defensive about spoons Ha. I to also use Mepps Little Wolf, Krocs, EGB(Mostly lucky strikes imitation) and panther martins, and mostly countdown raps and Kwikfish. Although I plan on catching one or two TRYING float on a drift have not before.

Ps-Is the steelhead meeting tonight? new members aloud to come tonight, I paid my dues at the outdoor show.

Rooster tails are my bread and butter!

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest TerryK

For those of you that complimented me, thank you. For those that choose to try to bait me or other steelheaders, you'll get no more response from me other than this: I volunteer countless hours with the club, (and others) doing everything from stream improvements, to tree planting to organizing clean up days, to attending meetings and seminars, to sitting on the Fisheries Management Zone 9 Council, to collecting scientific data from fish for the last 10 years, to fighting for our rights as fisheries users, to building a park with my own two hands (and a few others as well) ect ect. I am not, nor is anyone I know, an elitist. I wear a fishing vest that my mother bought me over 30 years ago, I use a used reel but I did spend a whole 200 bucks on a new rod last year because my old one was just that...old. I wear 4 year old waders that leak just a little too much these days. I often help new fishers with advice and I always carry extra floats, hooks, yarn, sinkers and fish gloves to give to needy anglers. How all of this makes me an elitist is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not upset with your shots at me, because if you know me you'll know that I will and have spoken my mind if I feel I want to be heard. (sorry Roger!! :P )

What does piss me off a bit is the generalization that steelheaders as a group are elitists and douchebags. Far from the truth. Most I know are great people in their own way and many are just as involved in preserving nature and our fisheries as I am, some more so. Of course steelheaders have their bad eggs but what group dosen't, but to pass judgment on these hard working people without a shred of proof of wrongdoing is just plain garbage.

Flame on haters, I'll be on the river.

Chuck

Well said Terry ...You must be NDP Notta dumb person keep up the good work and if you ever need a cleo?? a wiggle lure

Go to centerfolds..... lotsa fish there lol

Git "er done