• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Jayfishin

Black Sturgeon River

Jayfishin

As i was on my way back from Longlac today, was scouting some rivers between jackpine and tbay. As i was driving by black sturg there were two guy walking up the bank to their car with fish hanging off a stick. I was expecting to see some rainbows but was surprised to see some walleye instead! Now these two guys were possibly of native canadian decent so my question is "Is this legal"? If laws were being broken then they were getting into a newer chrysler 300 silver in colour around 6 pm. My other thought was they were a couple of guys travelling through the area and don't know the rules on that section of river. I almost turned around to confront them but decided to keep heading home.

Didn't look right to me.

My two cents...

Jay

Hurketthunter

The Black sturgeon see's a lot of native fishing pressure during the walleye spawn every year. They were most likely natives as I've seen the MNR in the area keeping an eye on things.

canadianyanke

the lake helen first nation has been doing a creel on that river for the past 2 years. you should see them everytime you pass there in a blue van.

Guest Munshaw

True, they might be legal, but they might not be. A few years ago we stopped at a small north shore creek for some steelhead fishing and came upon a guy fishing a pool with 5 or 6 steelhead hanging dead on a stringer. He appeared to possibly be native Canadian, and that he had the right to keep what he wanted. We didn't question him further but took a picture of him standing next to his fish, and of his license plate. We later ran into a C.O. And relayed the information. I guess the C.O. Ran into the guy later in the day and discovered he was not from around here, and had even more steelhead in his trunk, closer to twenty from what I remember. He was charged.

It's tough to not cause a confrontation on the river, but photographs are free! Forward them to the MNR and let them deal with it. If they are repeat offenders I'm sure they will be on the lookout for them.

If you don't like seeing piles of dead walleye, and I DO mean PILES, don't look at the B.S. river when you cross. It's not pretty.

Jayfishin

These guys weren't doing a creel....had some nice walleyes hanging off that stick!

Hey has anyone heard any more talk regarding the removal of the dam? Thought it was decided by MNR it was the best option?

And, found out the road into Black Bay Pennisula is now open again. It looks like they did some new winter logging.

Chuck

Hey Jayman.... Look away...the MNR closed the walleye fishing for a purpose .To enhance the substainability of the walleye fishery in Black Bay and Nipigon Bay up to the dam. They built a beautiful fish monitering station by the bridge and the dam , shoved their little tracking devices up their bums in hopes that they would gain more info on the lifecycle and such ...I thought it was a Great Idea

At one time.... a walleye at the BS dam was rare ....we always let them go

But to see coolers full of spawning walleye ...Hmmmm ...Seems to defeat the purpose

I don't want to be derogitory in anyway but it doesn"t work untill we are all on the same page

Just my 5 cents.......I cashed in all my pennies

• Like 1

Git "er done

Jayfishin

I'm with ya Chuck....

Jay

FishOrDie

i heard about some grafiti on the bridge. anyone know what happend?

Chuck

I don't think they will remove the dam due to lampreys it"s the only barrier stoping them from invading the whole system

As for grafiti I'll be drivivg by later today for a look I'll bring my camera

Git "er done

Guest Wes

So much for that suposed Moritorium that was to be enforced by the Red Rock Band huh.

I say walleye schmalleye. If they want to killem all. fine. They are eating all the Steelhead smolt anyway.

Nothing we can do about it. It is their right. Period. We can argue this until we are blue in the face. In fact I think we have. every year!

This only way this slaughter will stop is after they have killed the last walleye.

I to, am curious about this graffiti. I hope it wasn't some redneck painting some BS like they did on the 11/17 train bridge over the nippy. Which I am glad has finally been removed after several months.

Guest TerryK

I don't think they will remove the dam due to lampreys it"s the only barrier stoping them from invading the whole system

The Fisheries Management Zone 9 Council has recommended to the MNR that (option #1 preferred) the dam be removed and possibly a low head weir be installed at the mouth of the Shillabeer River or (option #2) the dam be left in place and a trap and sort fishway be installed to allow "desirable species" access to the upper river. (steelhead and salmon are NOT desirable species however)

MNR is reviewing the recommendations.

Chuck

So I went to see the graffiti Must be a rumor cause there was nothing except 1 person sitting in a van I assume it might have been the creel survey crew I think the cold weather seems to put a dampener on the fishing for now I did find a sign saying that some of the walleyes have been impregnated with transmitters The sign had been ripped off it's post and thrown in the bush

post-874-0-09430300-1335622918_thumb.jpg

Git "er done

Guest iRIP807

I am one of the people that is doing the creel study, same as last year, so far there have been way less people fishing the black sturgeon river compared to last year, as for the sizes go, we have been seeing more smaller wallys caught (0.5lb-3lb 13in-20in) compared to the avg of 4.5lbs (20in-33in)last year and a lot more bigger ones 5lbs+ being thrown back. Sampled two females last night and they were spawned out(spent). Most i seen taking home was 28, from a family of 7 which is 4 fish, each equal to a standard limit biggest one was 1.3kg, according to the study so far, under 130fish have been harvested within 15 days which is just under 9 fish a day

Picture Below was from an Eagle today

582071_10150699711071437_818102256_n.jpg

for all those steelheaders out there...you guys suck lol i want to sample trout lol JK

bigfish

whats the differents...on a family of 7 harvesting 28 fish in the spring or a family 7 getting 28 fish in the summer?...I dont think there is a difference.......the fish is not going to spawn the following year.....I dont see anyone talking about spawning steel head or salmon...Just like a little while ago when a cow moose was harvest in the spring MNR saying that it was wrong because she had calves in her.....But they had out cow tags in the fall...And I know that most of the cow's are already carring calves when the hunting season open....Just saying

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

bigfish

for 2011 WMU 21A...for the bow season..bull 117 tags, cow 200 tag...Gun season...bull 859 tags, Cow 1500 = 2676 moose tag just in the 21A area.....the WMU's around Lake Nipigon...it looks like around 6000 moose tag was giving out last year....so before pointing your finger...look how many fingers are pointing back at you....just saying......it get me upset when people dont take a step back and look at the big picture.

• Like 1

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

Lyle Reiner

I agree Wes, we argue this every year and there is always good points being thrown around for both sides.

Here's my question, probably just throwing a Log on the fire, but those who know me on here will know its what I do.

Anyway my question is; I understand that no limits, no seasons is a treaty right as you are fishing/hunting for your sustenance. And I agree that is a good reasoning. However the river in question as well as many others in the area are realitvly close to a grocery store. We live in an area that is bountiful with natural resources yes, but you do not need them to survive. Go to the grocery store!!!

• Like 1

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

bigfish
I agree Wes, we argue this every year and there is always good points being thrown around for both sides. Here's my question, probably just throwing a Log on the fire, but those who know me on here will know its what I do. Anyway my question is; I understand that no limits, no seasons is a treaty right as you are fishing/hunting for your sustenance. And I agree that is a good reasoning. However the river in question as well as many others in the area are realitvly close to a grocery store. We live in an area that is bountiful with natural resources yes, but you do not need them to survive. Go to the grocery store!!!

lol.....nice LOG.....If there is a day when I have to go and buy fish from a store......thats the day I die......I live off the land!!...plus I DON'T want to eat all that stuff they put on the food to help it stay fresh looking and grow faster.. No thanks

Team FishPopper

Lyle Reiner

I wasn't referring specifically fish, just that there are other options in our area. I also will never buy walleye from te grocery store. I was simply stating that no one in our immediate area has to eat off the land or die

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest don kohart

It's ridiculous that all these special "rights" are extended to what are referred to as "Native Canadians". In the states they continually try to get us to use different expressions to alter the perception of what truly is. I find that my friends north of the border buy into this bull far more easily. These natives you see grabbing all the fish are poachers that are getting a free pass. Their historic culture was to exploit an area for game and then move on to new hunting grounds. They've never been good stewards of the land and in their time there were no property rights. It's not right that they are allowed to take advantage of all the benefits today's society can offer but still exploit limited resources for what is often dubious reasons.

canadianyanke

the ignorance in this thread is astounding

Mr. Canoehead

Somehow I doubt they're gonna kill all the walleye. C'mon get over it, both sides signed the treaties a long time ago...fish are still swimming...

bigfish

lol

Team FishPopper

bigfish

It's ridiculous that all these special "rights" are extended to what are referred to as "Native Canadians". In the states they continually try to get us to use different expressions to alter the perception of what truly is. I find that my friends north of the border buy into this bull far more easily. These natives you see grabbing all the fish are poachers that are getting a free pass. Their historic culture was to exploit an area for game and then move on to new hunting grounds. They've never been good stewards of the land and in their time there were no property rights. It's not right that they are allowed to take advantage of all the benefits today's society can offer but still exploit limited resources for what is often dubious reasons.

talk about good stewards of the land....what happen to the Buffalo?haha..http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-near-extinction-american-bison?image=5 have a look at this

Team FishPopper

Guest iRIP807

Never been good stewards of the land... I guess your missing the fact that the governments granted commercial fishing licenses and which was very poorly regulated on black bay and the massive slaughter of walleye (consider a troublesome fish) on lake superior from 1905 to 1920(if my dates are correct)...

The major killing of walleye comes every year on the 3rd Saturday in May