• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bwkre

Northern Pike

bwkre

I doesn't appear that many members fish pike. I have a friend that said pike is good eating once you learn to fillet it properly. My son and I were out yesterday and decided to keep the one and only pike we caught. It was my first attempt at filleting a pike and I only missed a short section of the y bone on one piece. Anyway I thought the meat was good, mild and not oily or fishy tasting. We did a shake n bake and fry. Is it true that cold water pike is better tasting than warmer water? Yesterdays temp in Lake Superior was around 55 F. At what temperature would you not keep pike, I wouldn't want to keep and waste any fish. I've only been fishing for about 2 years so I've got a lot to learn. :mellow:

Thefishleclair

Pike is great eating, If ya keep catching them in Superior dont worry about when the get mushy, Water there is cold enough to keep em firm all year round.

As for knowing when? I would just say July and Aug for all other lakes. It seems the flesh just gets mushy. Could be from the warm water temps on the top if ya stringer em or they just dont fair well in the heat. I catch and eat enough pike, Ill keep em in the dog days of summer too but make fish cakes with em.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Foozer

I rarely target them, but am more than happy to keep em all year round.

I make em a number of different ways, and once the Y-bones are out, they are as good or better than many other game fish as table fare.

Fish cakes are a great idea too, but I normally mix up some cajun style beer batter and fry them up quick....then consume.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

Guest cstclair

Where are some places to go for pike? In and around town? I have been to the mouth of the current many times with no luck.

Chuck

Throw a couple in the smoker Wonderfull I like to dry out the tail section in the smoker Pike Jerky

Git "er done

bwkre

Thanks for the responses. We were targeting Pike this weekend, that's about it that is open.

Cstclair, we were at Sturgeon Bay trolling about 15 feet from shore where the road runs parallel to the lake. You could certainly cast that far from shore if your not boating. They were not very aggressive. In an hour or so we had 4 hits but lost 3. Not sure how many species the bay supports but my dad said the bay was used to stock pile logs from local logging back in the day. From there I assume they were floated to the mill? He said the bay, being so sheltered, is full of bark. Along the far end the bottom is mush. Best results are by the road. It is about a 40 min drive from town.

Guest cstclair

Nice! Good to know! Pike are normally very aggressive but it's still early!

Guest jackfish pete

I normally release pike but I have picked up a few tricks from days at Quetico with no walleye for the pan. Cold water pike are much better than warm water pike. I have never taken a water temperature in my life but I know that if you stick you hand in the water and if feels warmer than the air, it's probably going to be an oily, mushy fish. Warm water pike are best when poached,; this seperates the oil from the meat. The medium small fish (22-28") are the best to eat. I can't imagine cooking up a 20 pounder.

Remember that in zone 9 (Lake Superior) you cannot keep any pike between 27 and 36 inches, only 1 over 36. In zone 6 (inland TBay) the size restriction is 1 fish over 27 inches.

Good luck!

bwkre

Must be the time of year cause none pf the 4 put up much of a fight. Usually it's a fight right to the end (net) and then some. Even on the stringer for 15 min it was like he was dead. Put up a fight again when I took him out of the water to load the boat. He was good eating though!

jason

The Pine River is good for pike up hwy 61 as well. Just turn left on Memory road and the boat launch is visible on right hand side on a corner.

Jason

bwkre

Thanks for the suggestion Jason. I've never been there, but will soon. Camping starts this weekend so maybe next.

Brian

shmanks

went to a river where i know pike walleye and bass are was hoping for some pike or bass ended up catching a bunch of specks lol ahhh i love adventures :) also caught one tiny bass but no pike or walleye

brookiebuster

Always nice when that happens!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

jason

Ya its like the Pigeon River, never know whats gonna be on the line lol. Even massive snapping turtles likes to bite.