• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Thefishleclair

SALMON

Thefishleclair

Out tonight on the Big Lake out front. Tied into a Salmon first 10 Min fishin then Shut down. Had 2 more BUMPS on the Lines but that was it. Fish or Wood dunno. Seen no trees on the top so?????

Going again in the AM will see what happens then.

Surface Temps were 57-60F

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Barrski

Thanks for the salmon update, will be heading to the big water sometime this week

barrski

Thefishleclair

AM was 2 Rainbows and 2 Lakers....Fog was CRAZY!

003.jpg

004.jpg

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

PRO V

So that was your fog horn the other morning.

Mike

Thefishleclair

So that was your fog horn the other morning.

Mike

Sorry to Many Beans and Draft!!!!

Were ya out there too?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Barrski

Went out salmon fishing today by myself. went to the east side of the welcomes, picked up two and lost one at the net

Lake was calm but I was fogged in until noon, great to have my Lowerance unit with GPS

barrski

AB

I went out Saturday AM to. The fog was freaky! With a GPS you know where you are! What I worry about is getting run over by someone who doesn't have enough common sense to slow down in the fog.

Fishing wasn't exactly spectaular. I managed to scratch up a few salmon and avoided the lube tubes. One fish came home 'cause it absolutely wrecked itself on the Nasty Boy.

I've been out several times this year, I've hit salmon on every trip, which is fun, but.... the average size of the salmon is on the low side of the scale. There have been some larger (10lb) fish caught already. Most boats are reporting more 2 - 3 lb fish then larger ones.

I encourage anyone who fishes A LOT to not fill the cooler with these infants. It would be nice to have some size on the end of the line, but a dead fish doesn't put on the pounds!

Happy Landings

iceman

Thefishleclair

Was ot again today at LTB, not so good for us, Maybe tomorrow?

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

fishman1

it is hard to release a small salmon with a large treble impaled in his head, and lake superior is a big lake, who knows where they will be in a year. i have seen years with bumper crops of juveniles, everybody would say, wait till next year, they will all be 6-8 pounds. next year comes along, and they are nowhere to be found. so it is pretty much a crap shoot as far as releasing the little ones. and the little ones are the best eating. and with gas at 6.50 a gallon- guess what?

dano

Really??? How about releasing the ones you can? Or switch to single hooks?

Guest Munshaw

Anyone have a rough idea what the percentage of salmon caught come from the hatchery? Also, do any of the hatchery fish actually spawn, or are they pretty much just put in and die? If its the later, and hatchery fish make up a good portion of the salmon caught, I see nothing wrong with keeping them as they are caught. Its kind of like releasing brookies from a stocked lake. If its the former, and most are "wild" (remember they are an introduced species...) then yes it might make sense not to go crazy with the creels.

Guest Munshaw

Good read - obviously the vast majority of the fish are from self sustaining populations. Also makes a good case for shutting down the salmon hatchery locally.... Instrumental in getting the populations going, but once they get going have very little impact in the big picture.

Guest avis

Was out by Gravel River on saturday fishing the north side of Simpson Island and up Simpson Channel. Purple/Green Spotted NK was producing! couldnt even get the lines set up before fish would hit. 4 lakers, 2 bows and a nice 4lb salmon.

fishman1

yes adam, it seems the hatchery has never worked. the exec. of the club wouldnt want that info to be known, lots of money involved. but that is FACT. and this week long derby is responsible for taking a lot of brood stock. you can only weigh in 1 fish, but the fisherman are taking lots during this week event. should be a weekend event and that would cut down the numbers of fish harvested, and in return, more spawners.

PRO V

Was out this afternoon for a couple of hours got a couple lakers and a salmon for the smoker.

Mike

Thefishleclair

They can weigh in 1 fish for everyday the contest is running excepth the last day.

I used to go into the Derby but now I stay out, Was good when it was a one day event, Every one had a Chance big boat or small.

Now its all the "SALMON" guys are out fishing everyday in the Big boats for the week long derby.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

dano

I would think that a week long derby would be good for the smaller boats. If the weather was bad one day ,at least you would be able to go another.

dano

I really have hard time believing that the salmon derby on Lake Superior is destroying the salmon populations. How many more fish are really being caught? And how many more anglers are going out just because of the derby? Maybe the weekend at the start and the last Saturday of the derby might be a little more busy. At least these fish have the entire lake to swim around in. maybe there would be more salmon if the anglers couldn't fish the Nipigon river during the spawning period. What about the commercial netters? Has anyone participated in any other salmon derby on any other great lake? Our derby is tiny compared to the others.

See you on the lake

Thefishleclair

I do noth think the Derby's and reular fishermen are hurting populations, The lake can give up allot of Salmon . Nuttin like a BBQ Salmon or Bow to end a good day on the Water.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

AB

I admit, when June rolls around, the cedar planks, kebab skewers, smoker and gravlox tray are on standby! Nuthin' says summer like fresh salmon.

The one and two day salmon derby out of Tbay was a lot of fun. Fishing on Superior is always subject ot weather.

In order to get the participation level up, (Number of paid entries, hence the payout) the format was changed to a weeklong tournament. This provides a bigger window for people to participate. (The way the catagories are structured leaves something to be desired, and plenty of latitude for shenanigans - personal opinion.)

You can advocate for or against the hatchery operation. There is no doubt that a lot of fish wind up in the coolers during the weeklong derby. However, that is the only week there is some sort of creel done. So we really don't know how many fish are being harvested during the summer months on the big lake.

Salmon contribute to the local economy of many communities on the north shore in one way or another. We need to understand these fish better and determine what the best tools to manage them are, with real data, not opinions. Some work has been done in the past, but more needs to be done in the future.

iceman

Barrski

I was on the lake today and picked up a 3.5 and 5 lb salmon which I kept for the barbacue, didn't catch any small ones or I would gladly thrown them back. These two a pefect eaters. Caught three large lakers one pushing 10 lbs which I threw all them back. Neither of the salmon were clipped.

I never have more than my possion limit at home so I don't believe there is a problem in keeping and eating fish as long as we follow the rules.

My opinion

barrski

Guest joshschill

I personally have no problem with anyone keeping anything within their rights. But, I would like to see the salmon derby back down to a one or two day derby. This gives the guys like myself, who have to work every day, and cant get out on the lake until the weekend a little better chance. I went into the derby the first year I was in Thunder Bay and then it was changed to the week long. So now I just wait for the lake helen salmon derby!

McGinnis_Fishing

Going out for salmon in the harbour tomorrow morning. Just curious if there are any colours that prodeuce better then others? Thanks, ill be sure to report how we do when i get back.