• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mpeng

Small lakes for walleye?

Guest mpeng

Hi all,

I have a 10 foot topper with a 4hp johnson that i'm looking to take out on some smaller lakes to catch some walleye.

I fished cloud lake and had good luck with bass. I also went to hicks lake and had no luck. Any suggestions on some small lakes that are easily accessible?

Thanks

Croat

Swallow is good for small boat watch out for boulders though.There are some other lakes in that area that are fairly close to each other.

Hurketthunter

If you have a 4x4 twin red blocks lake above wolf lake can be good as well. If you don't have a truck you can go through the narrows at the top end of wolf to get there as well.

Thefishleclair

Drift, Far, McCully, Onion..Dunno bout Now but may be worth a shot in all the deep pools left.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

WalleyeWayne

Decoursey Lake up Spruce River Rd......

Guest mpeng

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Just curious if anyone has tried any of these lakes recently?

brookiebuster

Isnt onion lake just the current river now after the MNR removed the dam?

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Thefishleclair

Yeah, But I think if you look on Maps it still says Onion Lake.......I bet a few of them Deep pools hold allot of eyes!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

brookiebuster

Would'nt doubt it! Ive seen a few pulled out of the upper current river.

Guest Smack Um

Isnt onion lake just the current river now after the MNR removed the dam?

People still fish Onion Lake they access it from Hwy#527 using an old logging road about 25 kms up then head west and south before you reach the bridge and park in a campground about 1.65 kms in.

Using Google Earth you can see the Current River it is very close to the campground and just down stream from the bridge the distance down stream from the bridge to the dam is about 14.3 kms.

I would imagine locating the pools & holes in the bottom end would be the ticket zooming in & out to produce some hard copies would probably come in handy showing pins & measurements.

Hard copies of Onion Lake could be punched and saved in a 3-ring binder in clear plastic evelopes along with other lakes for future trip reference. :)

Thefishleclair

Can get to it allot easier off Dam Road off Onion Lake road. Way quicker and it is in pretty decent shape. I would fish the Ole spots we used to kill em in. Still some deep waters there. Was up in the Fall and did some Duck/ Goose Hunting.

Fished that Lake every weekend or even weekdays when I was growing up. Lived about 15Min from the Launch......Seen some Pig eyes come from there. Know a few other Board members here that fished it too.

Just be ready to loose allot of gear, Hookin into wood is sure a Pain in the Rump!

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

brookiebuster

Hmmm...

DJL66

I will second Decourcy and also try alittle further up 527 Eaglehead lake.

naden

Heart lake near the intersection of heart lake road and the burchell rd(Camp 517 rd) is supposed to be decent and is small enough that it wouldnt be scary in a 10 foot boat.

Guest Smack Um

Tease Lake waypoint: 49 00 40.76" N 89 04 37.46" W EL 418m (easily accessable off Hwy#527).

Turn right @ the Dorion Cut Off and drive east 10.25 kms to the Manchester Lake Road then head north 7 kms to Tease Lake Road turn west and continue 0.25 kms to the lake.

Using google earth you can pin the waypoints: Dorion Cut Off, Manchester Lake Road,Tease Lake Road, Tease Lake and measure the total distance it is about 27.56 kms save and print route. :)

Guest TheBeaver12

Went to tease two thursdays ago did good. Went to tease last thursday, couldnt buy a walleye.. Got some nice smallies though

Guest mpeng

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I'm going to try out Decourcey tomorrow. I will keep you all posted on how it goes...

Guest Funmonkey

I was at Vandenbrook (sp?) lake a few weeks ago and did very well, it is further up 527 past Decourcey, on the Lac des Iles rd. Lots of decent size pickeral and a fair bit of pike as well. Was a good size lake for my canoe, left the trolling motor at home and just paddled around. I know it is a bit of a ways out, I was at a camp at Max Lake so it was a short hop up the Hwy. Good luck and tight lines!

Michael

Heisenberg

Fished Decourcy with the canoe today. Great wind for "wind trolling" :ninja:

Only caught one decent sized wally and hooked some monster (likely pike) that took off with my favourite Rapala.

H

Guest mpeng

I went to DeCourcey on Thursday. I caught one 20" waldo and then I got caught in the rain. I'm going to go again, but I'm thinking of purchasing a fish finder first...and a better rain coat. With a small boat I find I can't be wasting too much time experimenting and not knowing depths.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Guest Smack Um

Northfowl & Southfowl Lakes (easy access off hwy#593) Pins & distances bellow:

Hwy#593 48 06 02.64"N 89 52 56.00"W EL 366m Distance 0km

Pit Road 48 05 55.60"N 89 53 01.95"W EL 366m Distance 0.25km

Pit Rd #2 48 05 57.04"N 89 54 14.09"W EL 371m Distance 1.82km

Pit Rd#3 48 05 48.36"N 89 57 30.33"W EL 397m Distance 6.90km

Northfowl Rd 48 05 09.69"N 89 57 51.49"W EL 457m Distance 7.80km

Northfowl Lk 48 05 09.69"N 89 59 54.08"W EL 448m Distance 10.59km

Using google earth you can pin, measure, save and print the route to Northfowl Lake the road disapears under the forest cover but reapears down by the lake there is a nice launch & campsite.

You can also access Moose Lake to the west it is a part of the Border Waters Canoe Route the portage is quite well maintained a boat cart would make the portage much easier.

I have seen them and the Backroads Map Book @ Chaltrek in town here is a link so that you can take a look link bellow:

http://www.sailboatstogo.com/v_page.php?content=cart

These little suckers will save your ride if you decide to go into tougher lakes like Chambers Lake...Have a nice weekend mpeng! :)

Guest mpeng

So I fished decourcey again today. Not a single walleye and only one pike.

I was thinking of trying some shore fishing at Pigeon river tomorrow. Anyone been there lately? You guys think the current might be too strong right now?

Antonio

So I fished decourcey again today. Not a single walleye and only one pike.

I was thinking of trying some shore fishing at Pigeon river tomorrow. Anyone been there lately? You guys think the current might be too strong right now?

I was out on the Kam today, the river was extremely rough. I'd imagine the water is the same or worse at pigeon.

But I did fairly well on the Kam, you never know!

Guest ScoopMacNeely

A friend has a camp near DeCourcey and I always found there was nothing but pike in that lake until late august. I've also tried Edmondson and Smiley, which are just on the other side of the highway and they can be good at times...its definitely a grouping of lakes almost made for smaller boats. Mawn isn't much farther either and it can be pretty good at times as well, and I haven't found it to get too rough when its windy. I can offer better suggestions and better areas, its just a matter of how far you're willing to go.