• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest River Rat48

SSS Bass

Guest River Rat48

Since Largemouth Bass have been reported in Shebandowan Lake are they allowed to be weighed in as part of your catch or is it Smallmouth Bass Only? Bass tournaments down here allow all types of bass at the weigh in. Large.Small, and Spotted.

GC 54

SSS, Shebandowan SMALLMOUTH Showdown, sorry Zimmer, I mean Bernie.

Safe travels.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest River Rat48

SSS, Shebandowan SMALLMOUTH Showdown, sorry Zimmer, I mean Bernie.

Save travels.

Thanks George. See you at the SSS.

Dale Gaudry

Smallmouth only in the SSS but they will allow Largemouth to be weighed in the Fall Bass Classic.

Pro Staff for LOWRANCE

Some Old Guy

Correct. Smallmouth only in the S.S.S.

The S.S.S. comittee (and me in particular) won't be responsible for relocating largemouth bass in the lake. Studies have shown that Largemouth are more than happy to make a new home in favourable water while studies show that smallmouth will usually migrate back to where they were caught.

There is some reading material out there on how brush piles are made on extensive flats by anglers. They then GPS way point them and will fish for largemouth bass while prefishing. They then return to their brush piles to release the largemouth. These fish seem to stay there until they are caught during tournament hours. And these anglers place quite high in tournaments. Is this legal? Maybe but I really don't agree with it.

Personally I think moving the largemouth around is not a good idea.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Trevor Zimak

Bernie, GC54

You both have a hard enough time getting 5 smallmouth in the boat, nevermind worrying about the largemouth.

Zimmers

PRO V

Bernie, GC54

You both have a hard enough time getting 5 smallmouth in the boat, nevermind worrying about the largemouth.

Zimmers

Ouch!!! :D

Mike

Bear

BOOM a shot from the hip.......................

BIG SMOKE

To comment on Rog's statement about making brush piles and relocating fish.......is that not illegal to do in most tournaments in and around our area, or is it up to the individual tournament? I have heard from a few people that there are some up in Upper Shebs, but they are only beneficial to the largemouth? Is this only beneficial to the largemouth or would smallmouth caught in a prefish stick around a brush pile long enough to allow an angler to go back and catch them in a tournament? I guess I am just on the fence with this one and was curious as to what other anglers thought?

BL

Trevor Zimak

To comment on Rog's statement about making brush piles and relocating fish.......is that not illegal to do in most tournaments in and around our area, or is it up to the individual tournament? I have heard from a few people that there are some up in Upper Shebs, but they are only beneficial to the largemouth? Is this only beneficial to the largemouth or would smallmouth caught in a prefish stick around a brush pile long enough to allow an angler to go back and catch them in a tournament? I guess I am just on the fence with this one and was curious as to what other anglers thought?

BL

It depends on what tournament you are fishing whether or not it is prohibited or not. Shoal lake and Fort have no such rule, however KBI for example, introduced a rule in 2010 that states:

"No Competitor shall knowingly fish at a location during the event that contains man-made structure created or enhanced by the competitor or another person for their benefit."

Now this was subjective and could have been interpreted in two ways: (1) the obvious: the creation of brushpiles or fish structures and (2) what about docks, dams, boat lifts, etc. - these are in fact man made structures that create habitat for fish and in fact, do enhance fishing spots. As a result this rule was amended after a discussion with the board of directors in 2011 (I think) and now reads:

"No Competitor shall knowingly fish at a location during the event that contains underwater structure created or enhanced by the competitor or another person for their benefit."

Of course there is no way of enforcing this rule or knowing other than giving anglers a polygraph test.

As for placing smallmouth on created man made structures, It is very unlikely that they would stay there. Smallmouth usually stick an area where they are caught from and when released travel back there.... there is much research that supports this. Even on Shebandowan, I have now caught 11 fish in Upper past the greenwater river with tags from previous Shebandowan Showdowns.

As for largies.... they too will travel back to where they have been caught to some extent. However, it not like if you place a largie on a brushpile or a dock, it's going to stick to it like glue and you are going to caught it again in a few days. That is NOT true.

Anyways... let's get back to the part where I was ribbing Georgie and Bernie :)

Zimmers

WalleyeWayne

That's wild stuff about guys building bush piles for the bass to linger long enough to be re-caught - never would have thunk it! As for bass returning to where they were caught, I don't know much about that either except this I do know: We have a camp on Rainy Lake at Bears Pass and always go into town for the FFBC weigh-ins to take in the show. 2 weeks after the tourney I hooked a smallie off our dock and it was tagged. I called in the tag info and asked where it was tagged. They said it was from the FFBC. So, Bears Pass is approx 18 miles from the Sorting Gap Marina where the bass are weighed then taken back out for release on the live-release barge. I seriously doubt the release barge traveled 20 miles by water to return it to the Red Gut Bay area where our camp is. We do get tourney boats our way during the tournament, but it is rare so I'm thinking that might have just be an anomoly that that bass was in our area after the tourney. One hell of a swim either way you look at it!

BIG SMOKE

Good points Trev. I am not trying to stir the pot, but rather just see what people's opinions are on the matter. If it gives an angler an advantage during a tourney, why would you not? You still have to catch decent fish to bring to your brush piles? Would you not agree? It obviously works for a lot of those guys up in Kenora and Sioux Narrows.

Monks

Get with the times SSS. If the Largies are in upper than they will move. Fish swim. Just a matter of time. A tournament will not change this. Unfortunately or fortunately if you like large mouth they are in Shebandowan. Same thing happened on Lake of the Woods. Ask any angler neither smallmouth or largemouth fish are always near or at a spot. They move and very large distances. I think I heard the same argument that the SSS was bringing all the smallmouth into lower and then they were hurting the walleye fishing? Ah parallels. Anyway who knows someone has been putting largemouth in the system but they are there. I hope the the SSS adapts accordingly.

Guest River Rat48

Good thing I didn't ask a tough question here! It seems like this has gone all over the map. At least I got my answer about the Largemouth Bass.

Trevor, I must admit you have thrown back and netted bigger ones than myself but that being your partner really doesn't count nor is it allowed in at weigh-in time! Lets just see how things are on the afternoon of the 22nd, never can tell what will happen.

Bernie

Some Old Guy

Get with the times?

Ok let me see.... Shebandowan S'Large.... No that doesn't work.

S'largemouth Smallmouth Showdown.... Doesn't make sense either.

Smallmouth S'largemouth Showdown.... Nope.

S.S.S. Means Shebandowan Smallmouth Showdown,

I know the largies will move. How long have they been in upper? Shall we help them out when they are not supposed to be there?

This is my last year running this tournament. So who ever takes over can "Get with the Times"

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

What is with the largemeouth? This has always been a smallie tournament. Keep it that way. It is up to the tournament organizers to run it the way they want it. If you dont like the rules, stay home. I like the format, dont ever change. Allowing largies into the SSS will just complicate things and will likely turn away some anglers. If you have ever fished for them, they can be the most frustrating fish on the face of the earth.

By the way Roger, I hate to see you step down, but I know how much you put into this tournament to make it go.

My 2 cents.

Bear

NorthwestHunter

If Red Snapper moved into shebandowan...would people start complaining because they couldnt weigh them in the SSS????

Its a smallmouth tournament. Get with that.

Roger, stick with it- there's always critics.

-Paul

Whitetail hunting, not just a 3 month season...a 12 month obsession

Trevor Zimak

It really wouldnt matter to meet whether largemouth or allowed or not.... I do know one thing though.... I would be willing to bet a pretty handsome amount of money that you would not see more than 3 weighed in over the two days of the tournament.

Besides, if it really came down to it.... It would not be that hard to throw the largies in someones livewell (roger's - I only say this b/c he would be a non tournament angler) and run them back into upper. I would even donate the gas. And, I doubt you would have to worry about a possession limit b/c, like I said above... it's very unlikely that many will get caught.

P.S I have caught largies in Ambush Narrows now, and in the bay with all the camps to the right just after tea pot. I have heard rumours that some have been caught in Kabigon Bay and the bay on the right just before middle gap. So there are largies in a few places in middle: if those rumours are true. Some camper also told me he caught one at the dam .... he also told me he caught 3 5lbers that afternoon. :unsure:

I have only caught one this year, and it was in upper, however before the kash river resort.

- Zimmers

fisherdude

I caught one like 5-6 years ago in lower before I ever heard they were even in shebandowan... Shoulda heard the arguments I has explaining that to people.

Jayfishin

Shebandewan Snapper Showdown....that works Roger!

Jay