• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lacman

Stainless Propeller Question

Guest lacman

I just picked up a new boat with a Merc 115 Optimax Pro XS and it has a aluminum prop. My question is, do you think I would gain any performance going to a stainless prop? Is there any way to lock the prop on the motor ( I don't want anyone stealing it!! )

Thanks!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

not from experience but from extensive reading, that 115 is 123hp. basically and opti 125 with a bit more holeshot and less top end(what merc said when i called).

a 3 blade stainless should be good for 2-5mph as blades are thinner and have less flex

not sure if it will help hole shot or cornering.

a stainless 4 blade should work well with extra torque of pro xs and make wicked low end and cornering and probably retain same top end as alum.

4blade has more grip on the water and can trim more than a 3 blade without ventillating.

never heard of a prop being stolen???

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

filletandrelease

My prop requires an adapter similar to the anti theft lug nuts on vehicles. I'm not sure if it is stock or something the previous owner added.

Guest JeffB

My prop requires an adapter similar to the anti theft lug nuts on vehicles. I'm not sure if it is stock or something the previous owner added.

Probably one of those McGard Prop locks?

http://www.mcgard.com/MarineProducts/PropellerLocks

As for performance improvements going from a aluminum to a stainless, Even if you could lab both props the exact same, the difference in materal characteristics will change things. For the better? Thats the age old question.

Performance boaters buy propellors forever, always chasing the magical improvements. Unless you can borrow all the ones you want to try, you pay your money and you take your chances.

One thing... with an aluminum if you hit something and destroy the prop, you have a better chance of not hurting the bottom end gears than if you hit something with a stainless prop. Sometimes those aluminum "fuses" are the best prop to have. If you want to chase performance advantages, be prepared to spend lots and learn lots at the same time. Every prop that gains you something, will cost you something somewhere else.

All those fancy stainless ones look great on the trailer, but in the water nobody but the fish can see them.

filletandrelease

Probably one of those McGard Prop locks?

http://www.mcgard.co.../PropellerLocks

As for performance improvements going from a aluminum to a stainless, Even if you could lab both props the exact same, the difference in materal characteristics will change things. For the better? Thats the age old question.

Performance boaters buy propellors forever, always chasing the magical improvements. Unless you can borrow all the ones you want to try, you pay your money and you take your chances.

One thing... with an aluminum if you hit something and destroy the prop, you have a better chance of not hurting the bottom end gears than if you hit something with a stainless prop. Sometimes those aluminum "fuses" are the best prop to have. If you want to chase performance advantages, be prepared to spend lots and learn lots at the same time. Every prop that gains you something, will cost you something somewhere else.

All those fancy stainless ones look great on the trailer, but in the water nobody but the fish can see them.

Yep thats the one I've got