• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest northbound1

Steel River help

Guest northbound1

Hello. We are planning on spending a day on the Steel River in the Terrace Bay area in a couple of weeks on our way to Sioux Lookout and then Kenora. Will have two young adventurers and the wife with me so am wondering about accessible spots and what the chances of catching a summer steelhead would be. Any info or advice would be cool. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

Guest superior steel

Hello. We are planning on spending a day on the Steel River in the Terrace Bay area in a couple of weeks on our way to Sioux Lookout and then Kenora. Will have two young adventurers and the wife with me so am wondering about accessible spots and what the chances of catching a summer steelhead would be. Any info or advice would be cool. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

The "summer steelhead" in the Steel are well advertised, but vary rare, even if plan some serious adventuring into the upper river. I would suggedt the Nipigon instead,

launch at Alexander dam and have at er, I am sure you will connect with a few.

Good Luck

Guest northbound1

The "summer steelhead" in the Steel are well advertised, but vary rare, even if plan some serious adventuring into the upper river. I would suggedt the Nipigon instead,

Good Luck

[/quoteHow about brookies. Just going for a not incredibly difficult hike hopefully. A fish or two would be a bonus.

Good Luck

[/quoteHow about brookies. Just going for a not incredibly difficult hike hopefully. A fish or two would be a bonus.

Guest superior steel

Casting from shore at the Alexander Falls dam can be pretty rewarding.

That would be my sugggestion as well, as I am getting the feeling that a boat is not making the trip. Nearly all of the Nipigon is accessable only by boat as OPG has restricted access to most of the shoreline accessable by foot. ...wow that was a lot of "access"

good luck

Guest northbound1

Don't know what happened to that last post, but no we don't have a boat until we get to Kenora and one day with one canoe on Little Vermillion at Sioux Lookout. Last August I made a few casts in the Prairie River closer to Wawa on the way home. A beautiful trout with a brilliant yellow edged caudal followed a spinner and then she was gone and so was I. I don't know what it was. We have 5 more days this year so thats great. So many rivers but where to fish with the family and no boat? We like collecting rocks too. They are not incapable or anything but the wife will only take so much. Thick brush and river crossings are out. It doesn't have to be steelhead. Brook trout would be good. I don't know if I've ever caught a brook trout down here in southern Ontario and know I've never targeted them but sure wouldn't mind a little of that action. Just a fish or two to to show the kids would be great. Had some money issues over the car tonight and weren't sure we were going to make it but its all good. PS Glad to hear Thunder Bay 37 was declared out. Saw what happened up there in Nipigon not too long and it seems like a real shame.