• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest truckernick4964

Salmons in the Mckenzie?

Guest truckernick4964

hey, i was wondering if anybody has been to the mouth of the Mckenzie lately? askin around before i take a walk down the railbed and try my luck at some pinks, fish or no fish?

shmanks

I have been wondering the same thing....i think I will go see if there is anything in the current river....i may be wrong but I think it is to early for pinks just because its been so warm and we havent gotten that much rain...i think last year they didnt come into the rivers until the third week of sept...ill post an update anyways :)

Guest truckernick4964

i think im gonna take a walk and see if there is any. im new to thunder bay, but tere is one benefit to living on lakeshore, all the streams with brookies in the spring and fall,

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

was downrigging near there in shallow and snagged a few, so they may be staging

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

kbrest

Streams closed in the Fall for Brook trout after Saturday, only stocked lakes are year round.

kbrest

was downrigging near there in shallow and snagged a few, so they may be staging

Was that at the Mackenzie mouth or current rover? I have yet to catch anything (from shore anyway) at the mouth of current river down at that boat launch. Any suggestions or tips? I just don't know the secret I guess!

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

mackenzie but not reaching these guys from shore.

the secret is water temp do some reading on when the run happens, im not sure as to when

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

Bullshark

Current had a much better flow to it when I was there yesterday, I didn't see or catch any pinks though.

There is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Snowball

mackenzie but not reaching these guys from shore.

the secret is water temp do some reading on when the run happens, im not sure as to when

The salmon r e t u r n t o t h e i r stream o f o r i g i n t o spawn i n the f a l l when the water temperature ranges from 8 t o14 C ( P r i t c h a r d 1939; Hunter 1959),

http://www.nwrc.usgs...s/82_11-088.pdf

Regards,

Snowball

shmanks

once the run starts i am wanting to try and get out to get a Chinook i know people have been saying that the wolf is the best bet but i am just wondering if anyone can help me out on the best spot to fish if it would be at the highway or down blackbay road and try more near the mouth(if i am even allowed to drive down that road lol) any help is appreciated even a pm would be great thanks :)

Guest truckernick4964

didnt see any salmons at all in the mackenzie, caught a few smallmouth tho, even walked the trails about a kilometre, up the river, still didnt see or catch anything

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

You caught smallmouth in the river? Or at the mouth. I have fished that river 50+ times and have never caught a smallmouth. But I'd love to catch one there. Any advice?

Brodie K.

fisherdude

Iv got them under the railway tracks. Not very big though.

Guest truckernick4964

i caught them under the railway tracks too, theyll hit any crankbait thats blue or red

brookiebuster

Pinks dont usually run till about mid sept.If we get a good rain here soon they should be working their way up.I use small little cleo spoons(1/8 ounce) for pinks.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

kbrest

Pinks dont usually run till about mid sept.If we get a good rain here soon they should be working their way up.I use small little cleo spoons(1/8 ounce) for pinks.

Starting to cool down a bit, any news on the pinks running, I went down from shore the other day and nothing. Any good shore spots on the Mack I could try for Pinks if they are running?

Thanks,

kbrest

Starting to cool down a bit, any news on the pinks running, I went down from shore the other day and nothing. Any good shore spots on the Mack I could try for Pinks if they are running?

Thanks,

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Thanks

Pretty much the entire river is fishable from shore, lots of open space and good spots, they can only go one way so if they're in they'll be all over. Good luck, I'll be there this weekend checking it out again as well.

Brodie K.

brookiebuster

Pinks are in the Mackenzie and theres some in the current.Looks like some rain is coming in.Should begin the full run.

walleyewarrior

Caught 3 pinks tonight in the Current River. They were jumping everywhere but didn't seem to interested in my selection of lures.

kbrest

Got a couple small pinks at the current river mouth yesterday. Lots of big males were sitting in the pools just below the bridge before the dam they were stuck there waiting for more water from the dam. I found the ones at the mouth were hard to catch, they would hit the cleo almost every time, but it was almost like they would nibble the side of the lure and not the hook! Anything I should know or am I doing something wrong?

brookiebuster

Cleo's are all I use.What size are you using?

Guest kamANDmctyreriverangler

you could catch them with your bare hands.

I was at a river in dorion(still kinda silver) then the mackenzie on way home..used 1/4 little cleos caught kings+pinks and a hammerhead shark/, Havent tryed CR, but then again, I know i wont.

the run don't seem to be as plentiful as last year, but when your hooking fish you cant really go wrong.

*Salmon kickass.

brookiebuster

I seem to get more solid hits and hooked fish when I use 1/8 ounce cleo's.