• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest truckernick4964

Salmons in the Mckenzie?

shmanks

you want to go to the river mouth where the docks are and just fish off the dock closest to the fence or walk up stream and just fish the pockets....lots of fish in there...was out a few days ago caught 4 males they were the only ones attacking the spoons

kbrest

Yah just males for the most part, I ended up finally getting a female yesterday. Was just kinda neat watching the big school of smaller ones swim around in circles just off the dock at the current river mouth. I dropped down to the 1/8 cleos, I was using the silver and green and not even getting a strike, soon as I switched to silver and blue they started hitting it.

kbrest

Cleo's are all I use.What size are you using?

Cleos, but I was using the 1/4 size which ended up too big. I dropped down to 1/8 and started catching. Also took the fly rod up river to the pools below the dam area and got a nicer sized male, and you can see the bigger ones sitting in those pools waiting as well.

riverrunner

I caught 3 pinks and a little steelhead on nymphs in the current yesterday during the day (first salmon and steelhead ever on the fly!) In the evening it got really crowded and it pissed me off to see some guys repeatedly snagging spawning salmon by using big spoons. When confronted, they stated that it wasn't their intention to snag these fish, it was just happening. Yet they still went in a bucket... I read these forums more than I post and am not wanting to start a dispute. I am more interested in finding out if people have any advice for educating people who might not realize the implications of dragging a heavy spoon through a school of spawning fish... thoughts?

TroutHunter

I caught 3 pinks and a little steelhead on nymphs in the current yesterday during the day (first salmon and steelhead ever on the fly!) In the evening it got really crowded and it pissed me off to see some guys repeatedly snagging spawning salmon by using big spoons. When confronted, they stated that it wasn't their intention to snag these fish, it was just happening. Yet they still went in a bucket... I read these forums more than I post and am not wanting to start a dispute. I am more interested in finding out if people have any advice for educating people who might not realize the implications of dragging a heavy spoon through a school of spawning fish... thoughts?

Sounds like same guys snagging fish during the steelhead run! Leave it to a few to give the rest of us ethical anglers a bad name.... I can see it being an accident (as i have snagged a pink this year on a sz 8 egg pattern but that fish went right back into the river), but repeated events AND harvesting them in a bucket is BS!

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

McGinnis_Fishing

you could catch them with your bare hands.

I was at a river in dorion(still kinda silver) then the mackenzie on way home..used 1/4 little cleos caught kings+pinks and a hammerhead shark/, Havent tryed CR, but then again, I know i wont.

the run don't seem to be as plentiful as last year, but when your hooking fish you cant really go wrong.

*Salmon kickass.

A hammer head shark?

kbrest

Anybody who is using BIG spoons at the current river mouth is trying to snag the salmon. Ive been using small 1/8 cleos and yah it does happen when the big school goes by, when it happens I let out a lot of slack for the fish to get off the hook. I seen that the other night too guys in the pool at the base of the falls with huge spoons casting out and reeling in as fast as they could. You cant tell me your not doing it on purpose, they gotta stop doing this.

Guest Craigh

I am done trying to educate the hopeless via a discussion/confrontation...There's always the TIP line to keep programmed in your phone. Make their job easy. Get a pic of them doing it and their license plate. They will need to fine a few people for these acts so the word gets around that it could equal a fine. Unless there is the perception you WILL get caught, it will never stop.

/>http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Enforcement/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_163377.html

All Ontarians can play a part in protecting our natural resources from waste, abuse and depletion. If you are witness to a resource violation within Ontario, please call the Ministry of Natural Resources TIPS line at:

1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

In order to investigate an occurrence, it will assist an officer to know the following information:

• Nature of violation (see list in right column)
  • Vehicle information
  • Location of violation (address, county, township, municipality, lot, concession)
  • Particulars of violation, other relevant information

The TIPS-MNR reporting line is not an emergency response telephone number. If you are calling to report public safety matters please call 911 or the police.

Guest Wes

I am done trying to educate the hopeless via a discussion/confrontation...There's always the TIP line to keep programmed in your phone. Make their job easy. Get a pic of them doing it and their license plate. They will need to fine a few people for these acts so the word gets around that it could equal a fine. Unless there is the perception you WILL get caught, it will never stop.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_163377.html

All Ontarians can play a part in protecting our natural resources from waste, abuse and depletion. If you are witness to a resource violation within Ontario, please call the Ministry of Natural Resources TIPS line at:

1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

In order to investigate an occurrence, it will assist an officer to know the following information:

• Nature of violation (see list in right column)
  • Vehicle information
  • Location of violation (address, county, township, municipality, lot, concession)
  • Particulars of violation, other relevant information

The TIPS-MNR reporting line is not an emergency response telephone number. If you are calling to report public safety matters please call 911 or the police.

Done!

If you really aren't interested in foul hooking, take that 1/8 cleo and remove the treble hook and replace it with a single. This will reduce the amount of fouls for sure. I am swinging single hook streamers and still fouling but only about 30%.

Like you said, when the big school goes by the chance of fouling goes way up.

If you can see the big school then you also have the ability to control where you place your offering. Keep it in front of the school and use the lure for what it is intended for. make'm strike.

I was able to strip a streamer on top of a school without foul hooking. For every 10 fish caught, about 3 were fouled.

Remember,

It's not what you catch, it's how you catch them, that counts.

Wes

brookiebuster

There were people there snagging at the current river again last night at the base of the falls even with mnr around.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Heisenberg

Um yeah, I took my son down to the mouth of the Current on the weekend. There was one individual whom I watched snag a few fish, and after each one run to his car and throw it in the trunk :wacko: I saw this happen a few times, before I asked him "How many did you get?". Answer (in broken Engrish): "Oh, this is the first one".

Unfortunately I did not have a phone (camera) with me, nor did I get the license plate. I made the best of it and used it as an educational experience for my 10 year old son. He then suggested we should leave. I didn't argue.

H.

GAR

I find working an F7 flat fish in current in front of salmon or else slowly upstream is quite effective. Out of the 12 we got yesterday none were foul hooked. I confronted a guy who was snagging after I watched him try to keep a snagged fish (tail hooked). Although he did have 1 out of the water from snagging, he threw this fish back. I like the camera idea CraigH.