• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WalleyeWayne

2009 Arctic Cat M6

WalleyeWayne

I am currently considering purchasing a 2009 Arctic Cat M6 and would appreciate any comments regarding same. Please be as candid as you can as I am looking for any reason(s) to not buy the sled more than I am looking for a reason to buy it. If there is any negative history with the sled (i.e. weak suspension, poor steering, poor load shift, etc) I would appreciate reading your comments,

Thanks,

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

90% of arctic cat sleds made between 1994 and 2012 are still on the trail today. . the other 10% made it home :fire:

in all seriousness

EFI on AC sleds i ride with is problematic on some sleds the m6 included and 8 mpg!!!!.YIKES worst i have seen from any sled. a skidoo 600 carb gets 12mpg and sdi or etec like 18mpg. even the 800s still get 11mpg

what length is track? ski stance? as these varied .

mountain sled will be tippy as hell off trail if you ever ride 2up, and wont have enough bogey wheels on skid for low snow lake crossings so sliders will not last long at all as they will heat up really fast

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

McGinnis_Fishing

Unless you take it to some real snow is too much sled for thunderbay, its a moutain sled, its meant for in the mountians in deep snow, plus its an artic scrap, ive never been a fan.

WalleyeWayne

Arctic scrap? Hmmmm....I've owned nothing but. Now I find out :blink: - guess owners are always the last to know, eh? Yah it's a mountain sled with a 153 track and no plans on changing the seat to ride double. I'm tired of lifting and dragging the sled off the trailer so reverse is an asset. I primarly ice fish and pulling a tobaggon should be an asset. MPG...is a concern, but not a deal breaker. The huge paddles are another asset given frequent slush conditions. THanks for the input guys!

oh wow, ya just having reverse is nice, never been without. let me know if you pull the trigger.

just did a fresh top end, new front end bushings and shocks on my REV so it can snow any day now.

brookiebuster

Was out in the treestand over the weekend and it was snowing...

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

naden

The paddle tracks are great for slush and deep snow but suck on hard pack, if the lugs are too long they just fold over on ice. Friend of mine had a m6 and on hard pack the track was basically a big broom and wouldnt hook up at all. If you fish the back country lakes and might have to go up some steep ice hills you'd be better off with inch and half paddle and studs. The mountain sleds generally have a narrower ski stance which make them easier to lean over and might be an asset when going through tight back country trails. Im not sure but I think some of the mountain sleds have an adjustable ski stance. A crossover sled might be a better bet over a full on mountain sled.

levi64

Can't speak for the Artic Cat, ive got a Yahama but its a 136 track with 1.5 inch paddles. When i buy another sled it will be a longer track, a mountian sled and 2 inch paddles. I fish mainly back lakes and have not yet been on pure ice or very hard packed where it would bother my paddles. I have been caught in slush and i can say, big track, big paddles and big engine is the way to go period. AC makes a good sled and if the price is right, id say you can't go wrong. And i personally wouldn\'t stud a long paddle track unless i was draggin on ice all the time. I find studs only good for short tracks to hook up and go, but thats my opinion.

WalleyeWayne

I also own a Snopro ZR440 with a studed 121 track and 1-1/2" paddles that is great on most all surfaces, but espcially good on hard-packed trails. However, I'm looking for something more ergonomic that can haul my tobaggon in all conditions and save my back lifting. I picked up the back end very easily with one arm and of course the reverse feature is a huge factor for me. I think I'm gonna purchase it. Thanks again for all the input guys!

WalleyeWayne

So I go to the local Arctic Cat dealer here in town and ask to speak with the same salesperson that my son spoke to 1-1/2 weeks ago regarding the same sled. The same guy that gave my son his business card with a quoted price slightly marked down from the listed price. I tell him I will buy the sled at that price, but after checking with his manager he says all he can do is eat the $100 for prep and plate transfer costs. I ask him what happened to the price he gave my son and he says "that's all I can do - some younger kid will come along and buy it for the listing price". The difference was $500 before taxes and $700 difference out the door. I told him I was on my way to buy a Polaris!!! #$%@*!

brookiebuster

Get a skidoo.I have a summit and its a great sled for on/off trails and going up steep hills and deep powder.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

fishingfinn

So I go to the local Arctic Cat dealer here in town and ask to speak with the same salesperson that my son spoke to 1-1/2 weeks ago regarding the same sled. The same guy that gave my son his business card with a quoted price slightly marked down from the listed price. I tell him I will buy the sled at that price, but after checking with his manager he says all he can do is eat the $100 for prep and plate transfer costs. I ask him what happened to the price he gave my son and he says "that's all I can do - some younger kid will come along and buy it for the listing price". The difference was $500 before taxes and $700 difference out the door. I told him I was on my way to buy a Polaris!!! #$%@*!

Another reason to head to the States to buy

Here's a link if you're still set on an Arctic Cat, there's a few nice M6's

http://www.wesellsle...s-for-sale.html

McGinnis_Fishing

Mountain sleds are bad for in the trails because the dont turn well as its like turning a long truck as opossed to a little car, you need more room to turn then a smaller sled,

levi64

Its that much closer to snow and people must have been asking about sleds so they scuued you on the price.. Im pretty sure we all know what shop it is and i wouldn't buy anything from them. Besides, head south and buy, its cheaper and eventually all those clowns who have been putting it to us in TBay can eat kraft dinner.

probably better off wayne, id go 136 track max, you ain't gonna like a mountain sled after years on a short track, the low gearing, understeering , high rpm, 50 miles to a tank and piss poor cooling on low snow. designed for bottomless powder and cornering on its ear.

that big of a track with big paddles will have less power in the slush than your 440liquid shorty. if you do really want to go 144+ track go 800cc.

WalleyeWayne

You're probably right, Ryan! As for the other comments, I bought my boat/motor/trailer from Apple Valley, MN so I'm familiar with what you have to do to transport a vehicle across the border. There's a little more involved with a motorized vehicle as opposed to a boat, but nothing big if you ensure you have the correct paperwork. Thanks for the link Fisningfinn! Craig's List here we come.....

use searchtempest.com allows you to search all cities within a specified km of zip codel code 55605, way fatser than sifting through every craigslist page

naden

saw a 2005 m7 locally on kijiji today

WalleyeWayne

For what it's worth, I got my eye on a 2010 IQ600 now. Any comments regarding this sled...?

should put that zr to shame, lighter, faster, better mpg, more power and ride will be a million times better , nice suspension on those. but id grab a 1.5 track for that machine they come with like a 1 inch track i think.

may even keep up with my old 600

WalleyeWayne

should put that zr to shame, lighter, faster, better mpg, more power and ride will be a million times better , nice suspension on those. but id grab a 1.5 track for that machine they come with like a 1 inch track i think.

may even keep up with my old 600

My ZR is quick and easy to throw around in the ditches and also had a very nice suspension. However, I do expect a better ride with the IQ's newer suspension and of course the horespower. The track is 1.25" and studded so it should be fine on all surfaces. I saw your 660 run Ryan, and it's a nice sled.

dano

I have a 2011 shift 600 136 so far so good. Nice sled for ice fishing and works for the occasional trail ride. Mileage isn't as good as the etec's but very close. The only thing I have changed is the track, 1.25 to 1.75. From what I have read the liberty 600's are reliable. the new sleds are extremely sensitive to fuel quality so premium only.

Dan

WalleyeWayne

Thanks for that dano. It's set to run regular but I will run only premium. I'm gonna tint the windshield and headlights and put on a towing hitch and it should be good to go. I haven't put the boat away yet so the snow can hold off.....for now. HAHA!

gonna hafta line these sleds up, when we have our whitefish tbf tourney.

WalleyeWayne

gonna hafta line these sleds up, when we have our whitefish tbf tourney.

HAHA....you and my son can, I have no need for that kinda speed! I'd rather line up walleye on the ice. HAHA!!