• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
filletandrelease

Whitefish Run Tips Needed

filletandrelease

Does anyone still dip net for whitefish during the fall run? I've done it for several years but never been all that good at it. I have

recently heard of people baiting their nets with cornmeal or salmon roe and will be trying that this year unless I find out that it's

illegal. Timing is another key as most places only run for a couple days. I know there are still some old school finlanders that

have this art mastered and I want to learn it before its too late. Anyone know some tricks? Indicators that the run is starting?

Also I am in the process of moving to pass lake and if anyone is willing to share some spots that will be close to home that

would be great.

Guest jackfish pete

I'm not a netter but I have seen whitefish in the fall at Silver Harbour as late as the first weekend of December. From Silver Harbour they would probably go spawn up the Mackenzie or maybe even Wild Goose.

As for the rules on bait: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198219.pdf

As a general rule "chumming" is not allowed in Ontario and the rules specific to netting don't seem to make any exceptions.

fishingfinn

You can get large numbers of whitefish by netting, without baiting. Timing is important, but I've got them from Oct 15 through Nov 15. I've never tried netting the lake Superior tributaries, I've always stuck to inland lakes. You have to be patient and willing to stay up late sometimes, I can let you in on a few spots on inland lakes that get good runs, send me a PM if you're interested

SherpaJ

You can get large numbers of whitefish by netting, without baiting. Timing is important, but I've got them from Oct 15 through Nov 15. I've never tried netting the lake Superior tributaries, I've always stuck to inland lakes. You have to be patient and willing to stay up late sometimes, I can let you in on a few spots on inland lakes that get good runs, send me a PM if you're interested

Is there a reason that you haven't tried any of the Superior tributaries?

I've never tried netting whitefish in the area, going to try a few of the local rivers the next few weeks.

fisherdude

Is this a nighttime thing? Is netting the only way? I'd rather have some fun on the rod if possible...

filletandrelease

you can catch them on a rod at the river mouths in the evening but I think the dip net is more fun and for that night time is the right time. I think they usually run between 10:30 and 3:00. I've heard that water 5 - 6 degrees celsius is the ticket. Superior tribs can be excellent according to others that net. Just like smelting keep the lights off the water or better still off altogether. use a bigger net than for smelting and keep it on bottom and lift every couple minutes

fishingfinn

I find that the whitefish are bigger out of inland lakes as opposed to lake superior. Whitefish can put of a great fight on the rod, try near the river mouths in the evening before if gets dark.

Guest Smack Um

I think that the water temp needs to be just above freezing about +4 and the date of Nov 4 rings a bell if I remember right...Like others have said this is a short lived run and you must "be there or be square"!

A fellow I know dip nets Cisco they spawn around his dock at about the same time the whitefish are spawning look for a sand beach you should be able to see them flipping in the shallows with a flash light at night.

Cisco would probably make pretty good jerky... I've tried making Smelt Jerky and it turned out pretty good just thinking...

sinker7

Yes the run is 'on'. Picked-up this limit of inland whitefish in a matter of 40 minutes. They ranged from 3-6+lbs. The smoker has been going non-stop for two days. The key is the full moon.

post-152-0-79216900-1351729613_thumb.jpg

brookiebuster

Mmmmm.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

shmanks

is the run still going? wonder if i would have some luck tonight....never been and would like to get some smoked :) anyone been out last night have luck? i was thinking of going to silver harbor is it the best place to go around town? any help is great thanks :)

Guest mnaiman

went to an inland lake last night, there were a few, but it was tough. Managed to get one, it had a small white jig in its mouth my buddy broke off on a snag 20 minutes prior lol. Was at mackenzie 2 days ago, and there was a lot more, but still less than i was expecting. This is the first season I have tried.

fisherdude

whats the limit for dip netting them?going to give it a shot tonight hopefully.

filletandrelease

The limit for whitefish is 12 and herring is 10 dozen.