• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Canoehead

stage of the rut and tactics for this weekend

Mr. Canoehead

What stage of the rut are we at based on people's observations? I have not been out much since the seaosn opened to make observations but I'm planning to go this weekend. Based on the time of year we should be at prime time right? So what are you guys doing for tactics at this point?

Myself, I was thinking of leaving a scent trail of doe urine (artificial) on the way in. I will walk into the wind on the way in and set up at the back of a clear cut along a treeline where the deer were feeding heavily in the early season. Then give myself some good cover an sit down in my little stool and alternate between doe bleats and buck grunts every 20 mins or so, keeping an eye on the downwind shooting lane, anticipating a buck to circle downwind if he hears me calling and stop when he gets to the scent trail I left. Not sure if I should be rattling as well at this point? I was also thinking of bringing the decoy I made which is a cut out of a fawn sized doe but maybe that woul be overkill hmmmm....

Hurketthunter

sounds like a solid plan. I had great success rattling and grunting last weekend. Called in a huge bodied ten point that came home with me for his trouble. I'd say aggressive tactics would be the way to go.

Hurketthunter

brookiebuster

From what Ive heard it sounds like they are in prime rut at the moment. Rattling will work(make sure to use buck scent when rattling!). The decoy would probably work well with doe scent and some bleats. I personally would rattle right now. Good luck!

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Guest DartonRage2

There in lockdown..ur best shot at a bruiser is sitting long periods of time..hopefully u can be in the right spot at the right time when there's a buck in your area that just left a does side and is searching for another. It's a challenge to get them to leave a hot does side this time of year but if u can put the time in the rewards can be great. I'd keep rattling to a minimum and stick to doe calls with some very short rattling sequences in between good luck and happy hunting

naden

Called quite a bit this weekend and didnt get anything to come in, I bumped into a few deer but dont think they were coming to the call, anyone else have any luck calling

Mr. Canoehead

Tried calling, scents and rattling. Nothing doing. Found lots of fresh doe/small deer sign they had been feeding and pooping like crazy the night before. Only found one set of buck tracks and did not find any rubs or scrapes. Really strange to find so much deer sign and no sign of rutting activity.