• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest chef_archer

First year wolf hunting

Guest chef_archer

This will be my first year hunting wolf. I'm planning on using my .270 but have a concern that this caliber will damage the hide. Any recomendations?

Lineguy

243 and google is your friend.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

A.F. & A.M.

Thefishleclair

saw a few shot with 30-06, No real big holes, Was about a the size of a quarter on the exit.......270 should be ok, Buy a tougher bullet thats all.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Davis Viehbeck

.22-250, .223 and .243's are preferred calibers for coyotes and wolf. You can run light bullets (55gr) and do less damage.

• Like 2

TroutHunter

I've given some thought to wolf hunting... my only question is what do you do with one once you shoot it?? donate or tan the pelt??

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Thefishleclair

Wall Hanger, Tan

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest Munshaw

I've given some thought to wolf hunting... my only question is what do you do with one once you shoot it?? donate or tan the pelt??

I am uncomfortable with hunting animals that aren't being used for food to begin with (just a personal choice) but killing a beautiful animal like that...just for the sake of killing it then donating the pelt seems a little sick to me. To me that's like catching a nice limit of walleye then dumping them on shore just because you like fishing. Maybe you need an outlet for your aggression. I would think capturing some great shots on film would suffice if you're interested in wolves.

And yes I do hunt. For food.

Guest Matt M

If you are uncomfortable with people hunting wolves that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But don't come onto a hunting forum and attack a fellow hunter who enjoys the sport. Wolf hunting is in no way like catching a limit of walleyes and dumping them on the ice. Walleyes are a food source and wolves are a fur bearing animal, their meat is not edible and they are harvested for their fur just like mink, pine Martin, fisher, beaver, fox etc. Do you attack trappers and think that they are "sick"? The wolf population is very high right now and there have been many attacks on people's pets and farm animals in the last few months. The wolf population needs to be managed and if that means shooting a few to make sure your pets and farm animals are safe then so be it. I fully support wolf hunting and plan on filling a couple tags before season ends in March.

TroutHunter

I am uncomfortable with hunting animals that aren't being used for food to begin with (just a personal choice) but killing a beautiful animal like that...just for the sake of killing it then donating the pelt seems a little sick to me. To me that's like catching a nice limit of walleye then dumping them on shore just because you like fishing. Maybe you need an outlet for your aggression. I would think capturing some great shots on film would suffice if you're interested in wolves.

And yes I do hunt. For food.

As said before, I have never hunted wolf or any fur bearing animal before and was simply asking a question as to what you would do after the kill... I am trying to educate myself on what my options would be. I hunt moose, deer and grouse with the bow and rifle and never waste game... You're assumption that i would shoot to donate the pelt is a bit brash... and is no comparison to wasting a limit of walleye on the shore

Adam

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest Munshaw

If you are uncomfortable with people hunting wolves that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But don't come onto a hunting forum and attack a fellow hunter who enjoys the sport. Wolf hunting is in no way like catching a limit of walleyes and dumping them on the ice. Walleyes are a food source and wolves are a fur bearing animal, their meat is not edible and they are harvested for their fur just like mink, pine Martin, fisher, beaver, fox etc. Do you attack trappers and think that they are "sick"? The wolf population is very high right now and there have been many attacks on people's pets and farm animals in the last few months. The wolf population needs to be managed and if that means shooting a few to make sure your pets and farm animals are safe then so be it. I fully support wolf hunting and plan on filling a couple tags before season ends in March.

That's fine by me. Each is entitled to hunt within the law as they see fit. I personally have no problems with wolves and don't see myself as a crusader "balancing" out mother nature. To each their own. My problem lies simply in the fact that original poster wants to hunt wolves and suggests donating the pelt leading me to beleive he is hunting wolves simply for the joy of killing them, which I find disturbing. In that sense, then yes it IS like leaving fish on the shore.

You're assumption that i would shoot to donate the pelt is a bit brash...

Sorry I just go by what I read... (see below quote from you)

my only question is what do you do with one once you shoot it?? donate or tan the pelt??

eddylives

After hearing about how the wolves will bait a dog out to just kill it for sport as they did to my friends dog its open season on them. (and many others in the reigon have had the same thing happen to their dogs)

After having a large black timber wolf go after two children while out camping a couple of years ago its hides , hats and heads mounted on the wall.

When the wolf population grows too large they become an issue and will be dealt with as required.

And no harvesting a fur bearing animal by anyone legally is no where near the same as allowing fish or game to spoil , that is a deliberate choice to waste wild game.

Now if one drops a wolf......who would be able to take care of taning or taxidermy in the Thunder Bay area? Anyone make hats around here? I saw the coolest wolf pelt done on a show we watched called "mounted in alaska" I think.

They had it made so the head was worn like a hat and the rest of the pelt hung down like a jacket , was a really cool looking item on the bush man that had it done hehe

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Oh boy Munshaw. He never said he was going to donate it. He is trying to learn, give him a break. I catch fish and "donate" it to my family members who can't fish very often. I enjoy being outdoors and enjoy the events leading up to me catching the fish. Hunting is not just "boom", done. There is a lot involved before, and after the trigger is pulled.

Brodie K.