• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chopper

salmon fishing

chopper

anybody having any luck fishing for salmon in lake superior???

speckmaster

I heard the fishing has been pretty tough. Guys are fishing all day and only boating a few fish.

chopper

I heard the fishing has been pretty tough. Guys are fishing all day and only boating a few fish.

fished all morning last week and only landed 1

AB

oooooo, sounds like the iceman knoweth something!

The salmon have shown up heavy in the bay over the last two weeks.

The big winds forced us off the lake from Tuesday until Sunday night. (well work was involved to some extent as well)

I'm trying to attach the picture of the fish from last Tuesday - 14-6 and 10-9. but I'm doing something wrong 'cause they didn't show up.

The bay is full of salmon like I said, but the trick is to find the bait fish. We hit 8 fish on Sunday night between 6 and 9 PM - (2) - 6's, (1) - 5 and (1) - 11-10. These were caught south of the Welcomes, but several fish in the 10 - 15lb range were caught off the Abitibi Shoal (North).

Find the food, you find the fish feeding. The three we kept for dinner all had big herring in their guts. One so fresh I put it on a Rys-Davis Teaser and dragged it around for an hour, but no luck.

Best fish coming into the marina has been just over 18lbs. Look for the 20's to start showing up in the next few weeks.

It's that time of the year again when a small tin boat can get some nice fish, stay safe!

Happy hooking!

iceman

Guest Wes

Was out in my 14' tinny 2 weeks ago. boated 3 small salmon and lost 3. We launched from Little Trout Bay. Only out for 3 hours max. I went out last week and caught nothing. Didn't spend too much time out there. a little scary in my tinny when it starts blowing.

Guest Dan

Her are a few from the weekend. You may recognize this guy.

It looks like Bob will be eating good for awhile. Nice fish Bob!!

NWO

Her are a few from the weekend. You may recognize this guy.

IPB Image

Jimmy Houston? ;)

Some Old Guy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Wes

I have been having some OK luck with salmon in the last few weeks. Nothing real big. Our biggest was 7 1/2 lbs.

What kind of salmon are in superior. I am not sure I can tell the difference between chinook and coho.

I know the difference between salmon and rainbow so I know in fact we caught salmon, i just don't know what type of salmon.

Can someone tell me how to identify them?

Never mind I found this Salmon Identification

Guest Brett S

if anyone out there is looking to go on a charter Archie Hoogsteen runs Archies Fishing Charters on Lake Superior. Archies a great guy and a great fisherman. his website is www.archiescharters.com or call him at 807 473 9435 .

Guest Ron

Is there any other effective way to fish for salmon without the use of expensive downriggers and accessories. I just bought a boat this year and have to wait till next year before I can spend a liitle cash on the downriggers, weights, rods, reels and all other downrigger accessoires. Are there any deep diving rappelas or other lures that could be effecive or even worth my time to try the salmon thing?

Thanks

Ron

Some Old Guy

Hi Ron,

Yes there are other ways. Long lining with lead core line works as with mono with deeper diving crank baits.

You can look at buying a down rigging rod with a good level wind and use dipsy divers or pink ladies to get the spoons to the fish deep down.

Roger

Guest Mr. Canoe

Ron,

One more option for you:

Use a 3-way swivel with a 2 ft leader going to your lure and 2ft of leader going to a big bell sinker. Bring a selection of sinkers, I think I used a 2 oz sinker on the weekend to get down to 30-35 ft. , but I was trolling real slow for lakers. The trick is to use light monofilament line because the stretch helps it get down there. Be sure to let it out bit by bit as you troll or it could get all tangled up. I use my drag to slowly let out a lot of line, but spool up to the max because you have to leave some line for a big fish to run with. Once you are tapping bottom, you have an idea how deep you are running (if you have a fishfinder). Watch for a slightly increased bend in your rod, since all that stretch will mean you won't feel a smaller fish fighting at first. But wait till it gets close the boat!!! Whooooooooo!!!!!! I caught a nice lake trout using this method on saturday.

Good luck!

-John

rceme74

yes it been tough fishing, but as was suggested follow the bait. I use an ole east coast trick, that is to look for the birds flying over an area. Works for me so far. My little boat is not capable to handle too large of waves however I've marked enough fish to stay relatively close to the B wall.

My son and I had 7 strikes in about 1hr and 1/2. Then everything went dead. We managed 3 nice salomn and 1 good laker. Bait has worked for me sofare.

Good fishing

Guest BLR-WSM

I was wondering if any of you salmon pros out there would care to share what type of bait is working here in T-Bay. I was fishing In Marathon last week and they were really aggressive on green apex's and green/orange monkey pukes (NK28). Tried a flasher with a hootchie and didn't get any hits. All our fish were caught at 26-30' in 65-130' of water.

Guest About Time

anybody having any luck fishing for salmon in lake superior???

Not sure if I'll get any responses to this, but i'll ask anyways...say ur trolling at 3mph or so, i heard there is some formula on ball weight versus actual depth... meaning, if u are trolling at 3mph, and you set ur ball at 40ft as per the downrigger, what depth is ur ball (and lure) actually at? or do you just set 20ft on the rigger and take it for granted it's at 20 ft?

I'm just getting into this, and would appreciate any help...

thanks!

AT

Some Old Guy

Hi At,

It would also depend on the style of ball and the weight of it. I think I have a chart somewhere.....

I'll look for it.

Roger

AB

I was wondering if any of you salmon pros out there would care to share what type of bait is working here in T-Bay. I was fishing In Marathon last week and they were really aggressive on green apex's and green/orange monkey pukes (NK28). Tried a flasher with a hootchie and didn't get any hits. All our fish were caught at 26-30' in 65-130' of water.

On any given day the fish will respond to different presentations.

Trolling flashers, or spoons like Nasty Boys, Pro Kings, Diamond Kings, NK28's even a Canoe Spoon will catch fish. The Apex is a great lure.

The only thing that I can say for certain is I've only caught a few fish in Superior running bait, don't know why. I'm sure others are very good at it.

Biggest thing is to make sure your speed is correct for the lure action and not spinning out the spoon or flasher - this is where a GPS is really helpful (aside from letting you find the dock in the dark).

If you have the lure of choice working properly, they all catch fish. The other thing is to listen to the fish. If they want red, give them red. If they want something green, go green. White or glow - get them on the end of you line.

This year the fish can't seem to make up their mind and stay on a pattern longer then a week or two, but one thing is certain, speed kills!

Another funny thing is the fish seem to be up high for the time of year despite the water temp on the surface. We hit Lakers as high as 10' last weekend and they are generally lower in the water column then Salmon. go figure?

Good Luck and have fun,

iceman