• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chopper

salmon fishing

Guest BLR-WSM

Thanks for your reply Iceman, tons of good info. Just wondering are you a fan of planner boards? I hear they can increase your odds.

AB

I'm a big fan of Planer boards at all times of the year. When fish get boat shy they can pay off in spades. We took a 10lb salmon off a board on Sunday in Black Bay and several lake trout.

Dipsy's work pretty well off them to get the lure down, but I prefer to use Jet Divers. (bad experience with a pair of dipsy's, but nothing wrong with them) Combined with a line counter reel, you can choke a 40' jet diver to just about any depth and repeat if thats where you are getting stikes.

We've found the 10' jet is not worth its space in the box but the 20, 30 and 40' ers do the trick. You just have to choke them up (less line) to get to your desired depth.

Only draw back is you can get into trouble if the jet gets turned up from speed wobble. It will just plane across the surface until you slow down and get it diving again.

Another tip is to use an elastic to hold the line in the release clip when you send it out to the board - acts like a little shock absorber and snaps off easily on the strike.

When a fish stikes a lure on the board its a hoot, theres still a little boy in all of us who likes to watch the bobber wiggle when there's a bite.

good luck

iceman ;)

Guest Bag Of Donuts

the coment about finding the bait fish is pretty obvious but I've been fishing since may for salmaon usually start in april and if you got the right gear in the water which this year is differnt from the last 8-9 for me it doesnt matter if the bait fish are their or not youll catch them while other boats troll bye. I"m going to fish into the winter for salmon till the summer of we get the same winter as last year I'll let you guys know how the winter salmon hunt goes hey guys throw the small skips back in the lake even the 10 to 30's its a good sport lets keep it around

Guest Wes

I have a few questions.

1. Is it common for temps to drop 20?F in 5 days? On Sat I was fishing Little Trout Bay and the surface temp was between 60?F and 63?F. Last night I went out to wash some spoons and the temp was 43?F to 45?F.

2. Anyone familiar with the Davis diver. Not the Dipsey, it is triangular and has different holes to choose your running depth. Rod holes labeled A-E, lure holes labeled 1-6. I can't remember the name of this diver but my question is. Do you use them and trust that they are getting down as far as they claim? I was hoping to get it down 35 feet, where I was graphing most of the fish. I ran the reef to test if I was actually running 30-35 feet. The reef was up to 20. I never touched. I did touch with the Big John diver however. I had approx. the right amount of line out, give or take a few feet.

On another note...

If you left some gear at Little Trout Bay on 2-Aug-2007, PM me with a description of what you left behind and you can get it back.

AB

I have a few questions.

1. Is it common for temps to drop 20?F in 5 days? On Sat I was fishing Little Trout Bay and the surface temp was between 60?F and 63?F. Last night I went out to wash some spoons and the temp was 43?F to 45?F.

You have just experienced the Little Trout / Pigeon Bay roll over effect. - has to do with the wind effect on the water in both those bays - it happens every year, sometimes multiple times. absolutley blistering in the boat and the water is to cold to cool off in.

When that happens I go out of Silver Harbour to wash spoons, but you loose the security provided by the shelter of the bays. Fishing can be pretty good, and the salmon can be very large if you hit it right.

Watch for some really nice fish to show up in LTB when the temps get back into the upper 50's, best time of the year if the weather lets you on the lake.

iceman

Guest Wes

Thats interesting. That water was colder than the water on opening day this spring, and it was snowing then.

I would like to try Silver Harbour but I only have a shallow 14' tinny. It would have to be pretty calm before I could get out there.

AB

Thats interesting. That water was colder than the water on opening day this spring, and it was snowing then.

I would like to try Silver Harbour but I only have a shallow 14' tinny. It would have to be pretty calm before I could get out there.

I'm in the same sort of boat from time to time (14' tin) when my fishing partner can't make it out or I just want to get out in a hurry and want to save on gas.

Keep an eye on this website from Environment Canada, it's updated 4 times a day and is usually accurate.

www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/marine_e.html?45006

In the tin boat, I don't go out of Silver harbour unless the winds are for offshore (N or E) and the wind forecast is light and variable. I have to keep an eye on the water and torque up the 15 hp when the waves pick up over a foot or so.

I've seen it go from flat to freaky in 15 minutes.

They only call you "an experienced outdoorsman" after your dead... :excl:

Stay on the topside!

iceman

Abes

Does anybody know if the launch towards the border at Sturgeon Bay is useable? I usually fish for salmon towards the border area but all the launch's up there are too shallow right now. Going out tomorrow, probably launch in the Kam and stick around that area.

Abes....

Guest About Time

Does anybody know if the launch towards the border at Sturgeon Bay is useable? I usually fish for salmon towards the border area but all the launch's up there are too shallow right now. Going out tomorrow, probably launch in the Kam and stick around that area.

Abes....

If it's the one I am thinking about (just past cloud lake rd, turn left) it seemed pretty good, but was shallow (What a surprise) about 3 weeks ago... but looked like sand all the way in...The launch at Little trout bay is decent, but there is a good dropoff in the center launch, and the dock is friggin high from the water...

AT

Abes

If it's the one I am thinking about (just past cloud lake rd, turn left) it seemed pretty good, but was shallow (What a surprise) about 3 weeks ago... but looked like sand all the way in...The launch at Little trout bay is decent, but there is a good dropoff in the center launch, and the dock is friggin high from the water...

AT

I've never launched at Little trout, how do I get to that launch, do I just follow Little Trout Bay road. Thanks...

Abes...

Guest About Time

I've never launched at Little trout, how do I get to that launch, do I just follow Little Trout Bay road. Thanks...

Abes...

Hi Abes,

Yup, just turn left (heading west on the 61) on little trout bay rd and you'll see the public launch sign a ways in... nice protected bay until you get past the point on the left from the launch..

AT

Guest About Time

Abes...

again, stay away from that center launch (in between the 2 docks) dpending on how far u have to back in to launch, there is a 6 inch drop at the end of the cement ramp. I used the one on the left (facing the launch from the land side) and it seemed to be better...

Abes

Thanks for the info, I asked the MNR last year for the launches towards the border and they told me the only one was at Sturgeon Bay. Thanks again.

Abes...

Guest Wes

I was back out at LTB to wash spoons again. Surface temp was AVG 57?F. We ended up landing 1 small laker and lost 2 other fish. Other boats were doing just as poor although I did see a few different boats land a fish or 2.

Guest Brett S

I was out fishing on lake superior yesterday morning with Archie Hoogsteen and we did pretty good we got six salmon one was about 8 1/2 pounds another about 7 and some others about 2 to 3 pounds, ill try to get some pics on here. how has everyone else been doing?

Barrski

I was out fishing on lake superior yesterday morning with Archie Hoogsteen and we did pretty good we got six salmon one was about 8 1/2 pounds another about 7 and some others about 2 to 3 pounds, ill try to get some pics on here. how has everyone else been doing?

Was out for the derby, marking lots of salmon, had several releases and we netted a 14 & 10 lb for the derby. Needed to wash lots of colours before we found something they liked.

Good day but I guess I'm from old school with a competative edge and not accustomed to everyone getting prizes based on mystery weight.

All in all a good derby, off to Wawa next weekend for their Salmon Derby

Abes

Was out for the derby, marking lots of salmon, had several releases and we netted a 14 & 10 lb for the derby. Needed to wash lots of colours before we found something they liked.

Good day but I guess I'm from old school with a competative edge and not accustomed to everyone getting prizes based on mystery weight.

All in all a good derby, off to Wawa next weekend for their Salmon Derby

I'm surprised the 14lb didn't get you in the $. I was out towards the border and couldn't get much going. We caught 5 salmon between 18 to 28" . Couldn't find much bait around. I think the derby paid top 5 and the rest of the prizes went to mystery weight. I kinda like that idea since it gives everyone that entered a chance at something and the biggest fish win the $. We didn't even make it in on time for the weight in. Oh well maybe next year, had a fun day though.

Abes...

Barrski

I'm surprised the 14lb didn't get you in the $. I was out towards the border and couldn't get much going. We caught 5 salmon between 18 to 28" . Couldn't find much bait around. I think the derby paid top 5 and the rest of the prizes went to mystery weight. I kinda like that idea since it gives everyone that entered a chance at something and the biggest fish win the $. We didn't even make it in on time for the weight in. Oh well maybe next year, had a fun day though.

Abes...

The top five were between 17 to 15, we ended up 7th and 10th place. You are right it was a good day no complaints, weather was good and we netted a couple of good fish.

I will let you know how the derby fishing is in Wawa on the weekend. There is a usually about 75-100 boats with a half dozen 18-24 pounders caught if we don't get chased off the lake with the wind, no place to hide

Barrski

Guest Wes

With the low wind/waves I figure I would finally give silver harbour a try. We wash several colours without a stike. We saw a few other boats out but not sure of any were catching as we were the last guys off the lake.

I am still having trouble with these bloody divers I bought. I went by the chart. F5 setting with 120 feet of line out says it should get me down 80 feet. I trolled from 140 feet all the way in and finally got hung up at 30 feet.. WTF? Far from the depth I thought I was at. Kinda makes it difficult to be productive if you have no idea where you are at.

Anyone have a recommendation on a specific brand I should try?

The one I mention above is a Davis product

I have another diver called Big John Deeper Diver. So far it seems to get me where I want to be, but last time I checked I bought the last 2 from DnR. I have since lost one so I had to try something else.

TANGLED

Wes

I would suggest going to the lure jensen dipsy divers. Easy product to use and a #1 diver will get you down 100+ on braid. We use the #0 divers for early season when the fish are high in the water column.

TANGLED

Guest FinAddict

anybody having any luck fishing for salmon in lake superior???

In the 3rd week of July caught 3 in an evening