• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gone8to1248

6.3:1 versus 5.2:1 Which is Faster

Gone8to1248

I asked that question in the sorts show thread just to see what kind of answers I would get. Well no matter what you would have said, you would have been right and you would have been wrong. Those numbers are the ratio of the turns of the handle to the pick-up method and not nessesarly the speed of your lure or bait. The diameter of the spool has much more to do with it. Imagine taking a pencil and wrapping a line around it once, then take a glass and wrap a line around it once. Now unwrap the line and measure how long it is, the glass line will be longer. The spool diameter and line size plays as much to the speed that a reel will move your bait thru the water as the gear Ratio does if not more. Within the Stradic FJ series reels they have a 4.8:1 reel that will retrieve the line at 35 inchs per 1 turn of the handle, while there 6.0:1 models go as low as 30 inchs of retrieve per 1 turn of the handle. 2 good camparision charts is Cabelas and look at the Stradic FJ series and the Pflueger Patriarch Model with the 5.2:1 goes from a line retrieval rate of 24.5 inchs per 1 turn of the handle all the way up to 32 inchs per turn of the handle.

I just thought I would share this information with some of you just getting startted into some of this fishing.

Bernie