• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
walleye will

squeers report

walleye will

Heard fishing was slow. Going tomorrow. Anybody go today? Slush? Numbers?Trail?

WalleyeWayne

Probably about 250-300 people out today. Blowing snow most of the morning, but cleared by 11ish...just as the fishing seemed to clear also. We fished in 105' of water and iced 26 fish in our group ranging from 14" - 20" with most measuring around 17" - typical for Squeers. Lot's of snow on the trail and lake and lot's of slush pockets. There's at least 20" of snow on the lake and slush underneath. Because of the weight of the snow/slush on the lake every drilled hole will flood your immediate area with more slush. Our best presentation today was a small white twister tail tipped with a small minnow. The action was in spurts - again typical for Squeers (in my opinion). We marked most fish in 90' of water, but had many hits on the drop around 60'. Jigging up off bottom produced also. Good luck!

post-1135-0-55999000-1363104571_thumb.jp

post-1135-0-68505800-1363104588_thumb.jp

post-1135-0-84066800-1363104611_thumb.jp

Guest fishmasa

We also went yesterday and had no problem catching fish, the trail had lots of snow and the main lake had lots of snow too. We fished in 70ft of water and caught most fish near the bottom. The slush pocket near the MNR shack was really bad but other than that there was a lot of snow.

James01

We fished a little shallower than the above, 20-35 feet of water. Caught fish, and according to the accounts already given, normal size for Squeers. I missed something bigger, partly because of a new rod holder (I know, its not the equipment). Could have been a Pike, I guess I will never know.

Trail was getting bad on the way out... bad enough that it may keep me from going back to Squeers on the 15th (which is the next day I have); we will see what the weather is like between now and then. Lots of water on the lake, and as mentioned: one very big pocket near the MNR shacks. There is a big bump/ridge hidden in the slush. I hit the slush, realized how much water was around me, gunned the throttle, hit the bump, and caught some air. It was actually a little fun, minus it realigning my spine.

Good luck.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

walleye will

Fishing was slow to moderate, half limits. Nothing big nothing small all were about 9 years old guys said. Poor turnout for people about 160 ish. Lots of slush but more in the middle of the lake. Road in from highway is not plowed and there is about 8" out of the ruts 4x4 strongly recommended, saw a guy being pulled out of the ditch, looked like a 2 wheel drive truck? Oh and by the way bring a back belt for the ride to the lake! Overall good day, beats work :)

Gibby

We went out on the first day, fished in about 25' of water and caught four nice trout and one large pike. Slush was an issue on the majority of the east side of the lake. As others say, road in was bad as it had been quite some time since the MNR plowed it. Hard to get by vehicles parked, especially with their doors opened! Trail in was good in the morning and showed it's wear at day's end.

sinker7

Here is an update for Squeers as of Tuesday evening:

These figures are from the MNR tally board at the check in station,

# Anglers # Lake Trout # Pike

Saturday 287 417 3

Sunday 150 160 3

Monday 65 83 1

Tuesday 32 40** 0

**MNR estimate, confirmed count was not yet done

Trail Conditions: Decent, lots of moguls. Some rocks showing and slick spots on most inclines. The big hill is holding up well.

Lake Conditions: SLUSH SLUSH SLUSH!!! Lots of snow and slush. Even with all the traffic the slush has not froze. An inch or two of crush on top but that is it. The slush appears never ending regardless of where you go.

Fishing: The MNR tallies speak for themselves. Today we worked hard for our fish. We had our limit by noon. We stayed until 4:00pm and caught only one additional fish. Mobility was an issue.

Here is a pic of Alf Barrow with our catch. 10 lakers ranging from 13-18.5".

post-152-0-87723700-1363141383_thumb.jpg

WalleyeWayne

Good report sinker7 for those that may be considering going out for another day. We were thinking about it, but slogging in slush gets tiring quickly and much of the fun is lost. Good luck to those that will be heading out.

Guest sammy818

Road was great going in, the trail was the best I have ever seen. Some slush in middle of lake. We fished across the lake and lost of snow but not much for slush. Fishing was a little slower the the last few years. Total number of people fishing Thursday (7)

Guest lerma

Lake and trail are still in good shape. Some slush pockets on the lake. 7 anglers Thursday with 14 total fish. Maybe 20 there Friday. MNR said this is the least amount of anglers and least amount of fish caught they have seen during the Squeers Lake winter fishery.

sinker7

Here is an update as of Friday night:

Day............# Anglers.....# Lake trout.....# Pike

Saturday........287...............417.................3

Sunday..........150...............160.................3

Monday...........65.................83..................1

Tuesday..........32.................28..................0

Wednesday.....37.................36..................0

Thursday..........7..................14..................0

Friday..............30............... 50???(MNR estimate)

As previously mentioned the road and the trail are pretty good. The slush on the lake has tightened-up in the high traffic areas.

Fished solo on Friday for 9.5 hours. Had fourteen bites and landed nine trout. The weather was a bit nasty.

Good luck to those going on Sunday.

post-152-0-35649000-1363471225_thumb.jpg

sinker7

Just curious....anybody get out on Saturday or Sunday or hear any results for the last weekend of the fishery?

Guest lerma

Was out Saturday, we were one of the last groups in. They put up the numbers as we were leaving. I can't remember exact numbers but it was something like 53 anglers with 37 fish caught.