• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steelheadmagnet

Spring Kam river walleye

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Thinking about launching my boat in the open water at kam sometime for early walleyes, anyone ever do this? Is it a waste of time? Should I wait until the mouth is open? Thanks

Davis Viehbeck

Walleye season closes in mid-April. You'll likely be dealing with ice or at a minimum higher flows and lots of debris this year.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Ya kam is mostly open tho haven't been at the mouth to check it out tho

CaddisMan

I've been out on the KAM and the Sav in the spring before close. Super fun. Doubt this year will be an early thaw.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

The reason I'm asking is because I noticed while going over the native bridge that the water is wide open

Lyle Reiner

I also noticed, but mountdale launch is still iced in

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I hand launch my 14 footer sometimes. Wonder if thats possible.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Ya just not sure how the fishing would be if its still frozen down by the mouth. Do most fish go back to Lake Superior and then come back up the river to spawn? Does any one know

bin fishin lots

Alot of pickerel will stick around after spawn but not steelies. There was a pickerel caught last summer that had a tag in it from black bay.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

So there is a chance of there being some pigs in there before the end of season?

nateandrychuk

it doesn't freeze to the bottem there's always fish in the cam. i would try if i had a boat here. the water is open you won't know unless you try.

beartrack.jpg.1a43097fbd2f6250c49a780f32

nateandrychuk

the pay offs could be big there's alot of big fish in there. would be some work to fish right now with logs and ice floting by but hey one big fish will make up for all that. i would work slow drifts with large dacet or baby sucker minnows working the edge's of the bank looking for fishing moving up and down the river or trolling reef runner's or larger cranks looking for those moving fish. once you find them then stick around that little hole and work it to see if there's more holding there but at this time of year i would think they would be on the move getting ready to get into the spawn. just my thoughts

beartrack.jpg.1a43097fbd2f6250c49a780f32

I'm going to try tonight, will report back with results, if any haha.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Awesome I'm going to try this weekend I believe. Would they be more towards the mouth do you think or more up stream towards the old fort

Lyle Reiner

Brodie, where are ya launching from? Are you going yourself?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Guest Strav

Hey guys, just made an account today, new to the forum. I was originally planning on heading out to whitefish lake this weekend, but with the hot temp, ive decided to just try fishing the kam. Any areas you know that i could try that are open before the walleye season runs out? I have a 12ft boat, but would prefer fishing off shore. My buddies have told me lots about the kam, so im eager to go :)

Marcello

Lyle Reiner

First of all, welcome!

Whitefish is still great for ice fishing, there is lots of ice, and a plowed road to boot!

The shore of the Kam will be quite sketchy right now, this is why I havent went yet. the only places that I know of are open are near the James st Swing bridge, and out at the junction of the Kam and Mattawan....both of which would be difficult to access from shore.

If you go, BE CAREFUL, and wear a PFD, I know I will be.

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

The shore is not really fishable yet. I am at the kam Montreal launch right now to see if it was worth bringing the boat. Not yet, lol. You may be able to launch 12 or 14 footer by hand but the launch doesnt have much ice infront of it so it should only be a few days before you can hand launch right from shore to open water. I tried to upload a pic but it says its too big.

Guest Strav

Thanks for the replies, I am going this friday with a couple buddies. you guys think kam will be more fishable by that time? Ill check in thursday aswell to see if anyone else has gone yet. Heard its gonna be +5 rest of week.

Is fishing any good near the launches?

Maybe. Its hard to say. I tried tonight and lost a few lures on ice.

Not really that great at launches. I've caught everything at the Montreal st. Launch but usually bass and pike. I got one Walter on the fly rod last fall.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

I am not looking to fish the shore, I am going to be launching my boat at Montreal boat launch. I plan to back the trailer in hopefully this weekend and head up towards the fort as far a I can go.

McGinnis_Fishing

You wont make it further then the mill anytime soon