• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest debruyne97

fly fishing hotspots

Guest debruyne97

Hi there just made this account today. I fly fish where ever I can. I was woundering where some of the best places to go for any kind of fish.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Welcome to the board. You probably arent going just be given the great hotspots. Im sure that you'll be able to find fish though. Theres fish everywhere. Most people like to keep the great spots quiet.

Guest debruyne97

Thanks for the reply! Yea your right but I'll keep trying and hopefully I'll get lucky one day

Lyle Reiner

The most info you'll get about fly fishing is; macintyre, jack fish, wolf, nipigon river, cold water creek, spring creek. That's it. Fly anglers on this board are more tight lipped then a Brookie angler lol

But on a side note, welcome!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Squaretail

I'm a fly angler myself and a really nice spot is lake tamblyn(lakehead Universtiy) at ice out. There is nice Brookies and the post spawn steelhead are a blast on the fly. Just remember practice catch and release.

Guest debruyne97

Thanks all I do is catch and release. What is the best kind of fly to use at this time?

Squaretail

Once the ice is out fish at the tail out of macyintre into tamblyn and try an assortement of weighted streamers, if you tie your own flies tie them cheap as there is alot of debris in the water and easy to get hung up(no lead). I find micky finns or variations of that fly works. Also bright yarns flies will trigger both bows and brookies to hit. The lake holds post spawn bows for a long time therefore there is always large fish in that system but they get smart and picky. Once its heats up outside and you hit a hatch there its a blast. Have a vast assortment of flies tied up nymphs, streamers, wet flies, and dry flies and keep changing till something works. If your new to fly fishing I believe the fly tieing club is still around and actually has class in the university once a week during the summer. This is a good way to learn the skills of casting and tieing. You could contact DNR and ask Bill Boote if the club still exists. He's a great guy along with all the DNR group and can get you set up with the info. Trial and error will get you good results with fishing, there is an abundance of great flyfishing spots within the city that no one even knows about.

kbrest

I thought that there was no fishing in Lake Tamblyn from first foot bridge to the other side? Signs posted all over there regarding it being a fish santuary.

TroutHunter

Lake Tamblyn is open for fishing. The Macyntire River is closed from the Lake Tamblyn dam DOWNSTREAM to the footbridge i believe... There are no fishing signs posted.

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

Guest cmcrawfo

"McIntyre River - from the footbridge to the dam on the University property in the City of Thunder Bay. - Fish Sanctuary - Closed all year"

I beleve there is a footbridge downstream of the dam, and above the dam is lake tamblyn... but I could be wrong, I have never fished there.

Guest Swan_Dive

a good way to find spots is by picking up a copy of "back road maps" and the area that surrounds thunder bay. It will show you all the creeks, rivers, lakes and all the access points from highways, dirt roads and trails. Not of water to search just from the highway if you are willing to walk but I find that using the back road maps you can find places that have less fishing pressure. Good luck

Jeremy

eyelander

"McIntyre River - from the footbridge to the dam on the University property in the City of Thunder Bay. - Fish Sanctuary - Closed all year"

I beleve there is a footbridge downstream of the dam, and above the dam is lake tamblyn... but I could be wrong, I have never fished there.

the lower footbridge is the one mentioned in the regs. No fishing all year above it and the two dams on Lake Tamblyn, and both have footbridges.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Squaretail

McIntyre River from the footbridge to the dam on the University property in the City of Thunder Bay.

fish sanctuary closed all year

Right out of the regulations book. Tamblyn is open just not below both dams to the footbridge at the soccer field. The lake and river is fair game.

kbrest

Ahh good to know. Fish the river every year in spring usually don't go farther than the first footbridge anyway

Macbook10

does anyone know any creeks streams near thunder bay beside out to Nipigon to fly fish for trout??

Bobber Down
2 hours ago, Macbook10 said:

does anyone know any creeks streams near thunder bay beside out to Nipigon to fly fish for trout??

Try asking in the fly and spey fishing section. 

http://fishingboard.thunderbayfishing.com/index.php?/forum/88-fly-and-spey-fishing/

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Macbook10
On 3/27/2013 at 4:40 PM, Guest Swan_Dive said:

a good way to find spots is by picking up a copy of "back road maps" and the area that surrounds thunder bay. It will show you all the creeks, rivers, lakes and all the access points from highways, dirt roads and trails. Not of water to search just from the highway if you are willing to walk but I find that using the back road maps you can find places that have less fishing pressure. Good luck

Jeremy

where can I access these back road maps?

TroutHunter

https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/northwestern-ontario-backcountry-maps

You can pick them up at a lot of places around town.  I think I purchased the previous edition at D&R years ago.

** People often ask me why I like hunting and fishing so much... I tell them that those are the only places where my mind doesn't think.... You should really try it sometime! **

toma-hawk

You can go to the mnrf office to get the brook trout stocking list,and ask some questions there,or go on there web site for information.

Rick

oyo
15 hours ago, Macbook10 said:

thanks, do you know if they show or tell you what fish are in the lakes, rivers, streams? 

The backroad map books give species and tips for some lakes/rivers but nowhere near all of them. For detailed lists of reported fish, try the FishONline app from the government, its super tight.

https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/FishONLine/Index.html?site=FishONLine&viewer=FishONLine&locale=en-US

speckmaster

I’m pretty sure that it’s closed to fishing. From what I understand it’s on the way to Sleeping Giant PP. I think you have to cross private property too. You might want to go elsewhere 

• Like 1

Pretty sure speckmaster is correct. Go try for the browns in arrow river if they are still there. 

• Like 1