• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Some Old Guy

Fishing, Is it a right or a privilege? Let us discuss.

AB

Iceman -- what part of the link most interests you?

Section 7 (1) at the bottom of the page.

iceman

Pro fisherman-Stud Muffin

it refers to fishing as a right.

:smiley-violent080:

garmin_logo.thumb.png.e282a5dd4c34650ee5e218bcdd5adfd2.png

logo.png.e4b798a1a0facc3f309b90fb32f5c428.png

2016 Dog Lake Open Champion.

Thunder Bay BASSmasters Vice-President 

pastor norm

7. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Minister may, in his absolute discretion, wherever the exclusive right of fishing does not already exist by law, issue or authorize to be issued leases and licences for fisheries or fishing, wherever situated or carried on.

Yes.. I see your point right there... "the exclusive right"

pastor norm

"exclusive right" sounds like a privilege.... ^_^

I'll bet it refers to fisheries on the west coast under control of First Nations

spindilla1

AND for our next riveting post lets discuss religion and its role in fishing!!!! Yeesh, any topic that involves rights, privledge, religion, and the such is a never ending game of circle. Really?

I say for a more exciting topic we ring up the old "Steelhead" thing again as spring is approaching and my smoker does love a good chrome steelhead!!!! LOL.

Sorry could not resist, but with the loss of a good angler and friend, perhaps we can have some more positive oriented, drama negative posts for a bit.

Just a thought...

Cheers Monks

This is politics not negativity, it would be nice if some people recognized the difference. I don't see how religion ties into this at all.

Guest bigpikeseeker

This discussion of this right cannot begin until it is undoubtedly recognized by all who wish to discuss it that we are all born with the right to feed ourselves. Not starting with this realization is like saying you are going to study a high rise building and starting on the 10th floor.

pastor norm

Very true, bigpikeseeker.

Some might question that this translates into a right to fish...

I won't.

gone fishin'

This discussion of this right cannot begin until it is undoubtedly recognized by all who wish to discuss it that we are all born with the right to feed ourselves. Not starting with this realization is like saying you are going to study a high rise building and starting on the 10th floor.

Ahh- now this brings up an interesting issue. Are we truly"born with the right to feed ourselves"? Why is this undoubtedly recognized? I cannot just go into the bush and shoot a moose because I am hungry. So why would I be able to pull fish out of a lake without the proper authorization? I would suggest that there is no such thing as the right to feed ourselves because if there was, then the majority of us would be infringing on the rights of those poor souls who are starving and at the soup kitchens etc. If this was a right, then those who couldn't pay should be able to walk into a grocery store and take whatever they wanted. Unfortunately, this right only exists in a utopian world where hunger and poverty are wiped out.

pastor norm

gone fishin' ... I think you might be looking at rights too narrowly. as we've discussed... rights aren't without a social context and every right comes with the duty to abide the law and respect the rights of others.

In other words, I had every right to marry that pretty farmer's daughter from Slate River. It took some paperwork, but I got to excercise my right. It took a hefty slice out of my wallet, as well. It's only romantic or religious for me to think it's an unearned privilege. But according to every principle of freedom and justice here in Canada, it was my right just as much as it was her right. She would tell you straight to your face that it wasn't much of a privilege.

I don't, however, have a right (at least in Canada) to marry my sister.

gone fishin'

Pastor Norm- I would say that it was your freedom and right to try and marry whomever you choose, but must definitely an earned privilege, and not a right, to marry that pretty farmer's daughter! Perhaps I'm splitting hairs or looking at this too narrowly, but if it was your right to marry any specific person of your choice, then it would seem like that person didn't have a choice. You are very privileged to have married the girl of your dreams, which is what I tell my wife as well! So, I guess, in a broader sense, and in regards to this fishing board and not marriage counselling (lol), I would say that it is our right to be allowed to fish, but our privilege to be able to do so in any specific context. (Am I hedging my bets and sounding like a politician?)

pastor norm

yeah..you are hedging. But it's your right... *s*

Guest bigpikeseeker

Ahh- now this brings up an interesting issue. Are we truly"born with the right to feed ourselves"? Why is this undoubtedly recognized? I cannot just go into the bush and shoot a moose because I am hungry. So why would I be able to pull fish out of a lake without the proper authorization? I would suggest that there is no such thing as the right to feed ourselves because if there was, then the majority of us would be infringing on the rights of those poor souls who are starving and at the soup kitchens etc. If this was a right, then those who couldn't pay should be able to walk into a grocery store and take whatever they wanted. Unfortunately, this right only exists in a utopian world where hunger and poverty are wiped out.

Broaden your thought a bit. You have the right to survive, do you not? Not recognizing that is like holding the notion that if the law says I can't do this, then I guess I'll just sit here and die. This right obviously is tempered by morality and in no way allows/endorses anarchy. Your grocery store example is theft. Who are the poor souls who are starving? I have been many places and have never seen one starving person...in fact, most of the "poor" eat better than I do....there is a safety net that takes care of these people.

James01

"exclusive right" sounds like a privilege.... ^_^

post-1799-0-93058400-1365681951_thumb.jp

Truthfully though, you're showing your witt P.N.

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau