• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bin fishin lots

steelie info

bin fishin lots

"This is just one mans opinion!" I've bin fishin lots the last week and one beautiful chome steelie. Caught today in the Stanley area. I then went and ice fished a river mouth this afternoon on the north shore without a bite nor anything to be seen. Water levels low. I mean low. I hope our spring melt provides enough water for spawnin fish! And bizarre to see, some fish have made it up river already, and some fish not staging at all. Gona be a weird spring! What's your opinion?

Weekend coaster

"This is just one mans opinion!" I've bin fishin lots the last week and one beautiful chome steelie. Caught today in the Stanley area. I then went and ice fished a river mouth this afternoon on the north shore without a bite nor anything to be seen. Water levels low. I mean low. I hope our spring melt provides enough water for spawnin fish! And bizarre to see, some fish have made it up river already, and some fish not staging at all. Gona be a weird spring! What's your opinion?

I went ice fishing on Sunday on Lake Superior and my buddy lost a very large male steelhead at the hole so I would assume that it would be a while for the full run of them to begin but there are some that are entering the Rivers now

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

That fish may be a large resident rainbow trout. Hard to believe one would be that far up from the lake right now.

kbrest

Yah agreed, probably a large resident trout. But I did hit two that Sunday at Silver islet really close to shore those pics that I posted so its hard to say. They are staging on the warmer days and then when the temperature drops drastically...and the mouths still frozen they head back out deep again. Just another weird year but with the slow thaw, there should be lots of water for a healthy run.

Weekend coaster

I agree the rainbow my buddy lost was a Lake Superior resident and it survived a few spawning seasons basically a veteran rainbow

Weekend coaster

All this cold weather is just pro longing ice on superior which means more time to ice migratory rainbow trout and other species

Guest TerryK

It's going to be crowded on the rivers this spring with all the information being passed around. lol

Guest TerryK

PS: those fish are not "residents", they are early spawning winter over fish that run upstream in the fall.

bin fishin lots

Thanx for the information guys. And i thought this site was about helping people out and helping people understand nwo great opportunities. The more people that understand how to fish around here will ultimately give our fisheries the respect they deserve. No one owns any section of any river. This is gods country!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

No secrets were revealed. Nothing wrong with sharing the obvious rivers visible from highway.

Some Old Guy

Hi bin fishin lots.

I like what you posted above about helping people. That's what i want this site to be about.

For the I don't know how many years now, every spring this happens. When steelhead are on the verge of their life sustaining spawning run. Where they have to run the gauntlet of fishermen to be able to reproduce this always happens. People don't want it advertised that the fish are running start running or the run is on.

This is (what I think anyways) not wanted because like one said the rivers will be crowded with information being passed around. I get it. I wouldn't want that either if my favourite fish had such a puny window to try and catch them.

This is one of the main reasons I don't angle steelhead. I have been pushed out of spots seen people argue, screaming at each other. People casting over each other's lines. And get this......... That was before this site existed! That I think is an LOL!

Certain people have said to me, what if I advertised your favourite lake would you like that? Well no. I wouldn't. You got me there. But I have a site that allows users to speak and talk back and forth. I personally don't post about when the steelhead are running but others still think it's my fault nontheless.

Does this upset me? kinda. I get both sides. No one gets mad about posts made about walleye biting, tournament posts, smelts running but when steelhead are spoken of WHOA! There always seems to be a comment dropped somewhere along the line.

So I don't know what to do here.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

eddylives

When I was a teenager I would pound the McIntyre R daily from upstream of the expressway to the college and knew every inch of the river.

The number of people fishing there would get pretty competetive for the good spots lol.

20 plus years ago it was first come first serve so to speak , I never saw any arguments back then , people had respect and there was always that buffer zone you did not infringe on out of respect.

Every year I say I am going out again but it does'nt happen lmao , maybe this year I will go.......or not hehe.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

pastor norm

Keep doing what you are doing, Rog. Treading the fine line is tough but you are doing a good job.

Your site is not upsetting anyone's fishing for any species, no matter what anyone says.

I've never experienced such a lack of gamesmanship and cooperation as I've experienced in my

home town of Thunder Bay when it comes to fishing -- especially for steelies.

In other towns and regions, that kind of attitude gets called for what it is among fishermen: greed.

Weekend coaster

Keep doing what you are doing, Rog. Treading the fine line is tough but you are doing a good job.

Your site is not upsetting anyone's fishing for any species, no matter what anyone says.

I've never experienced such a lack of gamesmanship and cooperation as I've experienced in my

home town of Thunder Bay when it comes to fishing -- especially for steelies.

In other towns and regions, that kind of attitude gets called for what it is among fishermen: greed.

Your both right about the greed part in my opinion fishing is not all about catching but spending valuable time with the family

• Like 1

Some Old Guy

There's tons of info online on how to rig steelhead. There's tons online about fishing certain types of rivers. It's all there already. This is what I get told. Therefore there is no need to "repost" it here and there is no need to say the steelhead are running. I get told to tell others to go and keep checking the rivers and fish themselves to find out if the steelhead are running.

That info should not be posted here. It will create a very over crowded fishing situation.

Well I'm going to say this. Water temp and levels play a big role when steelhead a start their Spawn Run. And let's call it what it is and be real for once. The steelhead are making a life sustaining SPAWN RUN. That is the only reason why they are there. To spawn That's it. That is all. They are spawning. Reproducing.

So you know what? Finally I fricken get it. I understand now. They are spawning!!!! SPAWNING Maybe we shouldn't be advertising that. It would be detremental to the species if everyone fished it. Can you imagine hundreds..... nay....... Thousands of people fishing a spawning species how bad it would be for that fish? The mis handling. Must be stressfull on this fish as it makes a life sustaining spawning run. Maybe caught three or more times on it's life sustaining spawning run. The magisty of this precious fish, the beauty of this fish must be maintained. It must be handled safely, it must be properly smapled it must be................... Guess what? Leave it the F**k alone then!!! Let it do it's thing then there will be lots. But then again.......... if you can't fish it during it's spawning run then when can you catch them? Maybe get lucky and catch one while salmon fishing?

Now you see why this fish drives me nuts. It's not even the fish that bugs me, it's the way it's held above all else. Here's another one...... I keep hearing.... I went 5 for 13.......... Or how ever it's said. What the hell does that mean? You got a bite and lost it? Lost five caught 13? Ha HA!

So to me I don't care. Steelhead are a thorn in my side since I own this site. Some want to yap about them some don't want them mentioned. So what am I to do?

F8*8**k I'm getting worked up. I gotta go move some snow.

Roger

Guest cmcrawfo

The rivers get more crowed as more people move to the area, its not rocket science, larger population = more people fishing. I will flat out say, discussions on this forum are not going to be responsible for more people fishing. If you can use this forum, you can use google…. And probably google maps. And let’s not forget about spoken word, I get 90% of my beta from talking to people who are near strangers. And I bet people have been doing that since the dawn of civilization…. Despite this and 15 years of google, I can still find a quiet place to fish.

Guest cmcrawfo

Even if I posted an 8 digit grid ref. to all my favorite spots, I would bet money that I would never see anyone out there…. Do you know why the upper pools of the Steel and Prairie river see very little traffic? (oh no! my secret is out!!!) Because they are hard to get to.. near impossible for anyone who would rely solely on information gleaned from this forum. PS. It’s a Fishing forum …. No surprise that we talk about fishing. If you want to talk about knitting patterns and what type of boots to buy, there are plently of Non - fishing related forums on the internet.

I feel for you roger, put personally I would just ignore the comments. Some peopel have wet panites, they would complain about something if they couldnt complain about this.

pastor norm

Roger. whoah! :)

I might have the same peeve about fishing for a spawning game fish.

But consider this, Rog.

1. Shore fishing for steelhead is a unique opportunity. It showcases their strong fighting ability better than trolling in the big lake.

2. Steelhead are an introduced species and like smelt and salmon, we don't mind stressing them as much as the native stocks.

3. Steelheading is a tourist boon to the northern shores of Lake Superior. We ought to promote it that way. (maybe catch and release only)

that being said, there is a strong run of steelies in the fall and they are very silver, firm and frisky to feast on salmon eggs.

Some Old Guy

Hi Norm

The three points you made:

1, Yes I agree. So are every other specie!!!! Every single one of them. Shore fishing for walleye, pike..... bass...... sturgeon..... All are a tougher to catch in open water..... but it can be done!

2, Steelhead are now considered "naturalized" Almost native but not quite......

3. That point right there is why we can't talk about them!!!!

Roger

Some Old Guy

What's the video about? I'm on dial up. Can't watch it.

Ummmm is it meatloaf? Ha Ha

Roger

Guest cmcrawfo

Roger , the 3rd point must be Sarcasm. (?)

I bet Rockwoodbait, DnR, Princecraft, mighty mitch, and the frazer lake walley classic (just to name a few sponsors) would all love it if more people started fishing or if they travelled here to do so. Fishing is an economic engine, it strengthens local economies and keeps local jobs. Sadly the olny way to promote the sport is to talk about it.