• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bin fishin lots

steelie info

eddylives

I understand your frustration Roger.

Why the steelhead are put on such a high pedestle above other fish is a mystery to me.....its no big secret they run every year lmfao.

Every year you see the anglers staging at all the visible areas easily accesible to anyone that wants to try fishing for steelhead.

I have even gone scouting and found spawners in the littlest creeks , literally be able to step across the creek without touching water and see the steelies in barely enough water to keep them covered....I have no idea how you could fish for them in the thick brush lol.

I say this is a fishing forum.....they are a targeted fish......post away

The free flow of information is at the discretion of the poster.....if you want to share the run is on , I found a sweet spot or any other info its up to you.

Those that don't wish to share information can do just that....remain silent. :fire: flame on hehe.

• Like 1

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

Eddylives. Right on.

cmcrawfo,

I hear ya! But I was told from quite a few people that they didn't want it advertised because we don't want to fish like they do down south and in the states. Shoulder to shoulder. Those are pretty much exact words. Don't promote or advertise it! The boards down south have these rules about talking about run times and this board has that rule and you should enforce this rule on your board and so on.

Like I said I don't know what to do. They told me to shut the board down this time of year.

Well to those of you that don't know this...... This isn't a steelhead only site. It's a fishing site.

So shut it down don't talk about it keep quite don't say a word shut up......... I don't know!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest cmcrawfo

I don’t envy your position roger, but these types of discussions always make my day…. Maybe we should get even more contentious …. And start posting more info on Coaster Brookies …. HAHA. (I have a special place in my heart for these guys), native species, displaced and over fished… now giving beta on these should ruffle a few feathers… then again the argument seems to be more about peoples view of wild areas as their own, and less about conservation.

To help ease the pressure on the rivers local to Thunder Bay, I would like to formally invite EVERYONE to travel the north shore, and support communities like Terrace Bay, Marathon and Wawa with your fishing dollars.

eyelander

What's the video about? I'm on dial up. Can't watch it.

Ummmm is it meatloaf? Ha Ha

Roger

Yes, it is.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Weekend coaster

Yeah I agree with roger I personally don't like catching spawning steelhead I prefer to leave them alone in the river I only catch them through the ice or during the summer on superior

Weekend coaster

I don’t envy your position roger, but these types of discussions always make my day…. Maybe we should get even more contentious …. And start posting more info on Coaster Brookies …. HAHA. (I have a special place in my heart for these guys), native species, displaced and over fished… now giving beta on these should ruffle a few feathers… then again the argument seems to be more about peoples view of wild areas as their own, and less about conservation.

To help ease the pressure on the rivers local to Thunder Bay, I would like to formally invite EVERYONE to travel the north shore, and support communities like Terrace Bay, Marathon and Wawa with your fishing dollars.

I agree about the coasters I would like to see more threads on them what I never understood was why make us keep a large spawner over 22 inches I would personally like it better if the regs were 1 under 22 then letting the spawner fish off limits

Mykiss

Hi cmcrawfo

You appear to be quite the steelheader in the Terrace Bay to Marathon area. Are you a member of the North Shore Steelhead Association ?

They partner with MNR in a co-op steelhead sampling program...Anglers sample the steelhead they catch ( length, sex and scale sample) by river. The data collected is used to determine the health of steelhead stocks on the North Shore and manage our steelhead populations at sustainable levels. For more information view the North Shore Steelhead Web Site.

By the way Paster Norms comments are bang on.....it would be great to sit down with him over a coffee and chew the fat.

Some Old Guy

Have fun catching them. I hope everyone gets that one over for the bbq and eggs. Release what you can.

I hope that kids that get that one fish over that they keep don't get raked over the coals (it has happened!)

Anyways have fun.

Roger

Mykiss

To weekend coaster:

The reason for a minimum size regulation is to protect the spawning population so all coasters have the opportunity to spawn at least once and a fair number several times ( all the built in genetics and local adaptations are maintained to future generations)....that is the rational behind the steelhead regulations in two Thunder Bay streams ( one over 69 cm on the Mac and Neebing)

Weekend coaster

To weekend coaster:

The reason for a minimum size regulation is to protect the spawning population so all coasters have the opportunity to spawn at least once and a fair number several times ( all the built in genetics and local adaptations are maintained to future generations)....that is the rational behind the steelhead regulations in two Thunder Bay streams ( one over 69 cm on the Mac and Neebing)

Thanks for the info

Guest Wes

The general idea behind why “Steelheaders” dislike of posting specific information, is blatant laziness.

“Are they running?”

“Where is a good spot to go?”

Seriously, drive to any tributary of Lake Superior and go fishing. I learned a lot of what I know by going to these rivers and “giving it a shot”. I was persistent. Most of the time I looked like a bloody yard sale out there, but I was having fun. Aging myself here but this was in the 80s. I have had the “Steelheaders” come up to me and show me things as well as very receptive to my asking a question or six. I showed respect for their space and time.

The “Steelheaders” don’t mind giving out tips and tricks to newbies who are trying. A number of “Steelheaders” including myself, even give out gear. I carry a number of floats and packages of hooks I hand out to anglers that clearly look like they need help. Especially if they stood back to just watch me work a pool (when there is not enough room for others). I appreciate the respect. But some jackass that just wants to know it all before trying, forget it!

Last year or the year before, not sure, there was this guy fishing across the pool from me and not doing very well, while I was doing very well. He timed his casts, never crossed my line, and yanked his line out whenever I hooked up. It was far enough across that we could not clearly talk over the rushing water, so he came over to my side and we had a conversation about what I was doing, I gave him some floats and hooks (about $12 worth) and showed him how to rig it. He actually stood there for about 20 minutes and recorded all the information on my envelopes while I caught fish. It was a cool experience for me and I am guessing pretty cool for him too. This wasn’t a kid, he was a grown man.

Bottom line is most “steelheaders” believe if the person deserves the information then they shall receive it.

Obviously, this belief is not shared by a lot of anglers. It only comes with increased interest in this style of angling. The more you understand this style of angling the more respect you have for it and the skills learned. Some of the true guru's have spent thousands of hours and dollars on perfecting their craft, they shouldn't be expected to just hand it out willy nilly should they? As well they shouldn't be expected to like it when others do it either.

Before someone calls me a hypocrite, I'll fess up.

When I first joined this forum I was guilty of this very "Crime" but quickly changed my ways.

Disclaimer:

Every basket has at least one bad apple. Unfortunately there may be a few “steelheaders” that would rather tell you to piss off. I have never come across one but I can’t say, with any confidence, that they don’t exist.

pastor norm

I hear you Wes.

There's a unique skill to master when fishing for different gamefish.

Steelhead aren't unique in that respect. Some walleye fishermen are magicians

and perplex everyone else on the boat. It's not the job of a good fisherman

to educate all the others. That skill needs to be (l)earned, like you said.

Mostly you (l)earn the skill by putting in time, exploring water, figuring out conditions

by trial and error, getting into your head what to expect and when --- what's a take and what's not.

Often you (l)earn by just observing someone who obviously knows what they are doing.

I've done that just last year watching experts fish the Skeena -- for days I didn't even bring a rod.

It occurs to me that we ought to have guiding services here in NWO.

Perhaps even designate "guided fishing only" rivers -- during the steelie season, that is.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I dont ever want guide only rivers. That is a terrible idea.

pastor norm

really? not even for a season?

not even if the rivers are remote and not popular?

what about the idea of catch and release only for steelies?

the idea it to preserve unique fishery and attract

tourists... I know some don't like fish tourism ... :glare:

Some Old Guy

Ok maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

I take a lot of grief because of this forum. Like Wes said. People will ask when they are running and what not.

Then I get grief when somebody says They are in.

Then I get grief why that was allowed and back and forth.

When I bottom line it and why this doesn't happen with any other specie maybe salmon it does but not to this extent is because they are spawning. Sorry to say but that's the bottom line.

As with any spawning fish the info is out there. Temps, water flow, all that is accessible online.

So I get what Wes is saying. Go to the rivers take some temps a few drifts and find out for yourself I guess.

Roger

Some Old Guy

Oh and just to let others know what Wes described is exactly what I did when I was starting out with steelhead. Yes.... I admit they did peak my interest at one point.

What I did is head to the river without any gear whatsoever. I just sat and watched. I did learn quite a bit. I approached one guy as he was doing stuff way different than anyone else and was hammering them. He helped me out and we went on our way.

A few years later a guy moves next door to me. We met had some good times. Found out we both like fishing. He hauls out his photo album. There he is with a fish and there is a guy sitting there on the bank. Lo and behold it was me sitting there in his picture and we started laughing. He was the guy who helped me out!!! And I'm in his picture in the back ground!

Roger

Mykiss

The present steelhead regulations appear to be working fine (one fish with a minimal size on two Thunder Bay cricks). the MacIntyre River has seen a dramatic increase in adult steelhead from around 400 in the 1990's to over 2000 in the past few years. The streams east of Nipigon also appear in good shape. Black Bay tribes. appear to be suffering from juvenile recruitment issues probably due to a shift in the Black Bay fish community....not over harvest. The NSSA and MNR have been partnering on steelhead assessment for the past twenty years.......their ongoing research has lead to sound management based on good science. The only area where catch and release only might be valuable would be Black Bay tribes.....unfortunately it would be a difficult sell.

There is no remote rivers, they all flow into superior. No not even a season, I cant go catch fish in a river I love because it is guide only? Nope, dont think so. The last thing we need is our rivers turning privatized.

arvey

I don't think catch and release only for steelhead is the answer. you have a lot of other things that affect the fishery other than just anglers. I remember when smelt runs were unreal 2 dips with the net and your pail was full. you could even catch smelts in the afternoon in a hole under an old wooden bridge at the mcvicars. not any more runs are not even half of what they use to be . you may wonder why i'm mentioning smelts ( food source ) you have way more competing for the same thing. cormorants pelicans , ruff , and all the other species of fish that swim in the lake , years ago we didn't have these problems. although smelt may not be the main food source they're part of the food chain brake a link in the chain and you have problems.

Im fine with catch and release. I usually keep one steelhead a season. I keep the eggs and I give the meat to my grandma. She LOVES steelhead and my grandpa is busy taking care of her cause she had a stroke and needs constant supervision so he cant go fishing. I am okay with giving up this one fish, but the ones doing the damage are not the ones keeping their one fish, its the poachers who will keep multiple fish and they will continue to do that legal or not.

eddylives

Ok maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

I take a lot of grief because of this forum. Like Wes said. People will ask when they are running and what not.

Then I get grief when somebody says They are in.

Then I get grief why that was allowed and back and forth.

When I bottom line it and why this doesn't happen with any other specie maybe salmon it does but not to this extent is because they are spawning. Sorry to say but that's the bottom line.

As with any spawning fish the info is out there. Temps, water flow, all that is accessible online.

So I get what Wes is saying. Go to the rivers take some temps a few drifts and find out for yourself I guess.

Roger

Hell no , I want to be hand held through the whole thing.

I need you to tell me where when and even supply some of the equipment required :angry2:

And clean my fish before you feed me and drive me home :rolleyes:

All kidding aside I would not worry about a few grumbling about the open flow of information.

No one is being to forced to share any info lol. Its posters choice everytime.This is just faster than the old days before the net.

As with any other info being shared you have to just "get at er" on your own to go through the learning curve like everyone has to do

Some Old Guy

Eddy..... I think you and I would get along great!

Roger

scandiman

Roger, there will always be people who Arf Arf and moan about what people post (especially during steelhead season), but yet they get out there and catch tons of fish every season anyhow. It's just that some people love to complain. Let them. Don't change anything that you do cause you're doing it right brother!

Markus

eddylives

We do hehe :D

You have not banished me from the site yet lol

scandiman

And for those giving Roger grief.....leave it be and go fishing lol