• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryK

Do not read this! Top secret!

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

There's lots of water. I say share the common spots, and keep your honey holes to yourself.

eddylives

?

Hahahaha....thats awsome...

I do understand the need to remain quiet about new fishing areas opening up.

The dog r is a prime example , I watched it evolve from a grown in sweet spot with a few people to an absolute garbage filled mess in 2-4 years that would be impossible to get into due to the crowd at times lol.

Most of these places become public knowledge in time.......no need to advertise these spots to the world right away.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

People need to stop whining and go fishing. If your soo worried about these new guys on your river, or people you don't know fishing an area you like to frequent, thank your a jerk. Dont give up your sweet spots but dont be mad if someone else finds them too. Nobody owns the river and a guy with no experience fishin steelhead has as much right to fish there as you. I witnessed a "hardcore" steelheader on this site walk right through my drift to save himself a short walk to the walking bridge on the Mac. He knew what he was doing, hes a self proclaimed master of steelhead. This fellow isn't well liked which is no surprise. Just cause you have fished steelhead for 30 years and catch ten fish a day doesn't mean you can't be a prick. Most of the younger guys I meet are more than willing to chat it up, be friendly, share tips and such. Not saying its all the older guys, by no means is that what I am saying. But most grumpy fisherman i met on the river, or plain jerks, were typically older.

Foozer

People need to stop whining and go fishing. If your soo worried about these new guys on your river, or people you don't know fishing an area you like to frequent, thank your a jerk. Dont give up your sweet spots but dont be mad if someone else finds them too. Nobody owns the river and a guy with no experience fishin steelhead has as much right to fish there as you. I witnessed a "hardcore" steelheader on this site walk right through my drift to save himself a short walk to the walking bridge on the Mac. He knew what he was doing, hes a self proclaimed master of steelhead. This fellow isn't well liked which is no surprise. Just cause you have fished steelhead for 30 years and catch ten fish a day doesn't mean you can't be a prick. Most of the younger guys I meet are more than willing to chat it up, be friendly, share tips and such. Not saying its all the older guys, by no means is that what I am saying. But most grumpy fisherman i met on the river, or plain jerks, were typically older.

Hilarious. This reminded me of one old battle axe we seen fishing the Coldwater in Dorion. She was sitting on a rock fishing with her can of worms. I pulled up with my dad, and parked the truck at the common area. We had no intention of fishing near her at all, just wanted to park the truck there, say good morning, and walk way upstream to a whole different area. She got all in a huff and stormed away before we could exchange pleasantries. Cranky old bat. We were both amazed at her attitude. Ahh well..... her loss.

Since we can not call female anglers "fisherman" We should just call 'em hookers.....

mitch

Well put. I too have witnessed some rudeness on local rivers from a gentlemen dressed to the nines in gear. I usually try to stay away from guys geared up, to avoid any conflict. Not to say everyone is a like this one guy, I have met and talked to many very friendly people out there.

Guest TerryK

I'm 51 and I wear steelhead gear. Do I fall into your "old jerk" steriotype?

I don't know. I don't generalize. I stated that I am not saying all, but some. I quote, "Not saying its all the older guys, by no means is that what I am saying". I am not particularly turned off by people wearing gear, not one bit actually. I never said such a thing in my post. In fact I wear some "gear" myself. I don't associate the "hardcore" anglers with gear either. I'm simply saying the younger crowd is more willing and open to encounters on the river. They don't tend to keep to themselves as much. From my experience anyway. Who knows, maybe you see it completely different, that's cool too.

The only reason I say I don't know is cause I'm pretty sure I have not personally ran into you on the river. I'm sure your a nice man.

Guest Steelheadmagnet

I think having someone to talk to here and there is actually enlightening. Not only are you fishing for an awesome species of fish, but you make friends as well. If someone has a problem with me talking to them or being in a close proximaty to them I will either find another spot and move or I will simply keep my mouth shut and show him how you really catch steelhead 😏

Guest TerryK

The only reason I say I don't know is cause I'm pretty sure I have not personally ran into you on the river. I'm sure your a nice man.

How quickly they forget. Don't you remember the guy that helped you out when you first started fishing for steelhead? The guy that gave you pointers on the river, and some gear and showed you how to rig it? No?

No, I've never ever been given gear on the river. Not by anyone, ever, anywhere. Sorry, you are mistaken. You clearly have me confused with someone else. I have learned everything I have by putting in the time, the effort, the footwork. I'm not a lazy person who sits around waiting to hear the run is on. I pound the river everyday until I find the fish, and find what works. I put in 2 years before my first steelhead. I could have shortened that time by asking for help I am sure, but there's a level of satisfaction you gain when you figure things out all on your own. Either way, wasn't me that you gave gear or tips too. Take care Terry. Have a great day.

pastor norm

I was fishing Nitinat Lake, a long tidal water nestled between the mountains on Vancouver Island. You could access the lake following a logging road and midway down the lake was a primitive campsite. It was the fourth time I had visited the place. This time I was with a family member from Thunder Bay. We were looking for the big Nitinat strain chinook salmon that were staging in 20 feet of water just inside the outlet to the sea. The big fish were waiting for the rain to summon them to their spawn beds upstream. In previous trips I landed one 30 plus and two forty pound plus specimens -- out of 12 boat car-topper boat with a 5 horse motor! We had to tip the boat and "roll" the salmon over the gunwales.

I was grateful that local fishermen shared with me the information as to when the run was in, where in the Lake they could be caught, and what sorts of set ups were being used to land them. A local tackle shop supplied such information. Other fishermen added info. Nobody looked at us weird for asking. It felt like we were being invited to share the resource and have a good time doing it.

In this trip, we caught our two fish -- not tyee, but very nice nonetheless. After we pulled out boat ashore, I started to hoist the fish over the side to carry them to our cleaning table. My partner practically tackled me and made me duck down in the boat. "Don't let people see your fish" he said to me angrily. "We don't need to advertise." The way he said it, it made me feel like I was some sort of criminal and I told him so. The other campers must have felt we we acting strange too.

I realized that his sneaky behaviours were learned in Thunder Bay.

Gone8to1248

"I realized that his sneaky behaviors were learned in Thunder Bay. " I can't believe that I read that on here, and to be written by someone who has a screen name calling himself a Pastor. After coming up to Thunder Bay for over 25 years I can say I have really never seen this trait in Thunder Bay people or Canadians in General and think an apology is in order and that thread modified to remove that statement. As a moderator I could easily go in and remove that statement but I want to see if your man enough to do it yourself. I don't think anyone on this site has ever really seen me pi$$ed off, well congratulations you just pushed the right button. I for one think Thunder Bay people and Canadians are the greatest people in the world and I call them my friends. Now man up!

Bernie

Thunder Bay is full of amazing people. Bernie is right. That was kind of a low blow. Your making it sound like its common practise in tbay to act like that. Like we pass poor behaviour down from one generation to the next. Your friend was probably just a dink. Thunder Bay had nothing to do with it.

BearSlayer

Unfortunately you will run into some butt heads that make it a stereotypical opinion that all stealheaders are like that or any fisherman for that matter.take for example how at Lac the fish cops kinda paint everyone with the same brush.I lived in southern ontario for awhile and fished most of the popular rivers down there for steelies and I would say 90% of fisherman were excellent so it isn`t just a Thunder Bay thing.

pastor norm

I am sorry if this offended you.

I'm a Thunder Bay fisherman myself and learned to do it here.

The point is not that Thunder Bay anglers in particular are selfish.

The point is that a man from Thunder Bay -- my own relative--

returned the generosity of fishermen on the coast with the idea

that he had just found his "secret" spot and needed to hide

his good fortune. I think it's a funny story, actually. And my partner

realized that as well after some discussion.

I also think it's human nature, wherever we learn that attitude.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

pastor norm

and my old fishing partner isn't a butthead..

he's really a nice guy.

Fair enough. I retract my comment about your friend. I jumped to conclusions. My apologies.

pastor norm

no problems... didn't mean to get your dander up with my cautionary tale. :)

Guest Wes

Bernie, you may have been coming here for 25 years but I have lived here 39. I think Norm's statement is accurate. I have witnesses this behavior many times. I have fished from Manitoba border to Marathon.

On a lake I used to fish and rarely see boats now gets on average 20 boats on opening day. I still see people hiding their stringer.

Seriously? 20 boats dude, The jig is up!

When you see it from the outsider perspective like Norm described, it is very odd behavior for sure. Given Norm's reaction to the situation he described, it sounds like he shares the same opinion as most of us.

Wes

eddylives

Bernie, you may have been coming here for 25 years but I have lived here 39. I think Norm's statement is accurate. I have witnesses this behavior many times. I have fished from Manitoba border to Marathon.

On a lake I used to fish and rarely see boats now gets on average 20 boats on opening day. I still see people hiding their stringer.

Seriously? 20 boats dude, The jig is up!

When you see it from the outsider perspective like Norm described, it is very odd behavior for sure. Given Norm's reaction to the situation he described, it sounds like he shares the same opinion as most of us.

Wes

Its unfortunate but I have also seen this behavior here in Thunder Bay and other places like Nipigon , Schrieber , Terrace Bay.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it