• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lyle Reiner

Steelhead gear question

Lyle Reiner

Do I need a number 7 or number 8?

Should I go medium light or heavy?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

James01

That depends... if you are fishing McVicars (and the water is running over the ice now, so it won't be long) a 1/0 treble, and "heavy" to really drive that hook home. ;)

Many Men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

Lyle Reiner

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding when it comes to what gear I was referring to.

So I took a pic

post-1389-0-50772500-1366973059_thumb.jp

The number 7 is medium light and the 8 is heavy

also do they taste good with the breading in the pic? Im new to this and excited to get my first steelie out of the portage!

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Fishbum

Lyle you couldn't catch catch a steelhead if you had a gill net and dynamite... We all know that.

Better stick to suckers there easier lol

Lyle Reiner

So I should fish for steelhead anglers then? I mean aren't they the same as suckers?

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

uncle

Damn, we better get open water soon. :)

Guest MachoManFisherMan

So I should fish for steelhead anglers then? I mean aren't they the same as suckers?

Put worm on hook, drop into water from boat, wait - skill

Lyle Reiner

Loomis. The only equipment worth buying

Prostaff For

Lowrance Canada

Weekend coaster

How does the mackenzie or the current look i mean is it still frozen anybody catching any fish ?

shmanks

How does the mackenzie or the current look i mean is it still frozen anybody catching any fish ?

was out at the macintyre today was fishing on an ice shelf that went about 5 feet out from shore by the time i left the river rose over it....the only thing i caught was a ridiculous sunburn...still going to be abit

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I also tried neebing at dfc and the Mac. Shmanks was right. Chocolate milk and running high. Was using the fly rod for the 5th time ever. Was tough getting the fly down deep enough. Hoping to have more luck when the run gets on its way, and when the water levels out and clears up. Still an absolutely gorgeous day to be out though.

Bobber Down

Mcvics is very muddy looking and rising as well. Current River looked pretty clean though.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

RatherBeFishin

Big big treble hooks and a one ounce sinker. Then ur gonna wanna bottom bounce while keeping your rod tip downstream in order to fowl hook as many as you can. 🤣🎣

j.klister

You see now this thread is funny. I don't even live in Thunder Bay anymore but I come back to this site in the spring for the annual steelhead shenanigans and they are always entertaining lol

eddylives

I am a firm believer that if you were to stalk tailout and study his equipment/techniques and most of all his/her fishing areas you would become a true steel god.........

• Like 1

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it