• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shmanks

Tying Spawn Sacs

shmanks

Just wondering what people use for tying their spawn...last year i had all my luck with chartreuse with out curing the eggs...also had some luck with red sacs...so anyone want to give up their secret colors and cures :) lol...i have never cured my spawn because i learned from someone else who did the same thing, does curing them make a big difference?

just getting the itch for steelhead and i got some spawn i want to tie so i want to try something different any help is good help thanks :)

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Curing is good if you are going to freeze them, I doubt anyone will tell you their secrets because every colour works I use every coour

MILLER

Some people swear by using a brighter color in murky water and a more natural color in clear water. Pink is a go to color for me in murky water.

avatar_888.jpg?dateline=1515226580

shmanks

i think this time i bought a salmon color mesh for spawn...lets see how this will produce...so with all this nice weather ahead of us looks like i will be out on the river earlier than i thought :D

kbrest

Theres really not much of a secret to it, at least that I know of. I use roe sack fly imitations now of different colour variations. But when I had spawn sacs, I found that it was different from year to year, and even day to day sometimes. So its usually good to tie a variety, and if ones not working, try the other colours.

Wade O.

Honestly I use every color too, even blue. I have had luck on all colors I think a lot of the time size is more important then color Every day can change on the river as far as clarity and color goes so I would tie multiple sizes and colors.

MILLER

Honestly I use every color too, even blue. I have had luck on all colors I think a lot of the time size is more important then color Every day can change on the river as far as clarity and color goes so I would tie multiple sizes and colors.

Trust me, this guy knows his stuff.

avatar_888.jpg?dateline=1515226580

Guest Steelheadmagnet

I agree, size and brightness matters more then colour in my own opinion

shmanks

well im glad I ties different sized spawn :) what about curing the spawn any suggestions anyone? :)

RLK

I don't use spawn . Different colours of yarn work just fine. Inexpensive and easy to tie. Just a small piece under a snell and you are good to go. No muss no fuss. No need to harvest a fish just for the eggs.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Most people I know order farm spawn. So they don't harvest a fish.

shmanks

i use salmon spawn but will keep 1 or 2 rainbows for the bbq for family and friends

eyelander

Most people I know order farm spawn. So they don't harvest a fish.

First I have heard of this, is there a local supplier?

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

eyelander

Thank You Randy.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

shmanks

right on thanks beamer ill definitly be buying some....alot cheaper than I thought they would be

Heisenberg

The amount of steelhead-induced psychosis evident on this board leads me to ask: Local Supplier??? I see a market niche in there somewhere? (I'll buy some, Gary!)

Beamer: Thanks for that link! (From me, not my wife ) :ph34r:

H.

Guest Beamer

Its great stuff, had it inside of 3 days, very good quality on 16$ bag tied about 120 bags, but you can get more or less depending on how big/small you make your bags. It does work, the steelies like it, I have field tested it :)

IMG_36043_zpse52884da.jpg

fishman1

I ordered some last night. Beats. Killing a hen. Total cost was $31 shipped to my door. I also have a contact in b.c.

I haven't used him for a few years, he was selling by the pound for $6

unbedable

Its great stuff, had it inside of 3 days, very good quality on 16$ bag tied about 120 bags, but you can get more or less depending on how big/small you make your bags.

I also pick up from this site along as I usually get a float or two as well. But the roe comes fresh, ans I tend to use a dye/cure....find it takes no problem. Great way to tie sacks, especially if that's the only reason you are keeping a fish :rolleyes:

Guest Steelheadmagnet

I ordered some as well, should they still be cured before re freezing the left overs at the end of he run? It says they have been cured slightly already so how would during them again work

Guest Beamer

I ordered some as well, should they still be cured before re freezing the left overs at the end of he run? It says they have been cured slightly already so how would during them again work

I don't usually cure it before freezing, but cure it when I thaw it out. Just my preference

Beamer

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Oh I thought curing would help keep them fresh and from getting freezer burnt that's all. I ordered some eggs they come pre cured so ill probly leave them until the season is over with. Just not sure if I should cure before or after freezing. Any other opinions?

fishman1

They should be a seasons worth. If you do any amount of fishing, I don't think they will last you more than a season.

I thought I would try them out, if any good then me and the boys will split the shipping next year.

Some Old Guy

I hope that's salmon roe??? Is it? I was understanding that you couldn't sell rainbow roe or buy it and use it here.... That's why DnR and other bait shops sell salmon roe?

What gives?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!