• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shmanks

Tying Spawn Sacs

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Ya, that makes sense was just wondering. Just incase but now that you mention it 120 sacs is pushing another order lmost

NoUseForAName_GW

I hope that's salmon roe??? Is it? I was understanding that you couldn't sell rainbow roe or buy it and use it here.... That's why DnR and other bait shops sell salmon roe?

What gives?

Roger

A few sites are selling farmed rainbow trout roe. I've seen chinook, coho, rainbow and brown trout roe for sale on canadian sites.

Gavin

Guest Beamer

I hope that's salmon roe??? Is it? I was understanding that you couldn't sell rainbow roe or buy it and use it here.... That's why DnR and other bait shops sell salmon roe?

What gives?

Roger

Licenced hatcheries can sell it

Some Old Guy

With all the reading I have been doing on fish hatcheries and fish farms and the diseases they are coming out with I would think using outside roe would be risky in our waters. There are "licenced" farms and hatcheries out in BC that are proven to be hosts of some really really bad fish diseases. Even the salmon roe I wouldn't use.

I for one would be leary.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Beamer

With all the reading I have been doing on fish hatcheries and fish farms and the diseases they are coming out with I would think using outside roe would be risky in our waters. There are "licenced" farms and hatcheries out in BC that are proven to be hosts of some really really bad fish diseases. Even the salmon roe I wouldn't use.

I for one would be leary.

Roger

From the people I've spoken with there is far more risk of passing on disease using live bait such as minnows leeches and worms than there is using treated roe from a hatchery facility.

Beamer

unbedable

When I ordered the Salmon Roe is came certified VHS free. I can't remember (nor do I know if its applicable) to the trout roe, but I would think that being farmed, disease rate would be lowered as it is a controlled population?

Guest thawk

put borax in water in a bowl or container put eggs in leave over night rinse and dry tie them up and go fishing

eddylives

When I ordered the Salmon Roe is came certified VHS free. I can't remember (nor do I know if its applicable) to the trout roe, but I would think that being farmed, disease rate would be lowered as it is a controlled population?

http://www.salmonconfidential.ca/

Watch this video and decide for yourself on how safe and clean they may be......it does not inspire much confidence in my eyes.

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

pastor norm

thanks for that video...

Mykiss

I cannot believe that you guys preserve your eggs. Water harden (rinse in ice cold water until water is clear....dry on paper towel) is the only way to go........maybe that is why I never catch any steelhead !!

eddylives

thanks for that video...

Credit goes to Snowball for posting that video in the "everything else" forum 3-4 weeks ago :D

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Some Old Guy

Yes I watched that video posted by Snowball.

It made me rethink my thoughts on "science" the "facts" the "results"

It is when these can be bought and sold. That is why I really think about certain things and if I think it's wrong, no matter what "science" says then I try not to do it.

That's just me though. Even though something says "whatever" free......... well, that label can be bought.

Roger

P.S. Just fish swimming past these farms, pretty much breathing the same air!!!!! infects them. If you think that is not possible, then what about the "air" that affects us with airborn diseases. I can see it.

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

fishman1

I got my eggs from beamers supplier in southern ontario. Very nice and firm. Got them in a couple days and paid for the 10 day shipping. Tied them and got 160 nice size sacs. Pretty happy.

But now the rivers have blown out!