• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

I am way confused now........

whoreleur

anyone want to get a net and go net some rainbows......thats how stupid the request is to shut down the sites. I agree 100 percent with Roger.

Snotrocket

Nice :) as for netting bows didn't get any with tags this year lol maybe next year

Guest Wes

Nice :) as for netting bows didn't get any with tags this year lol maybe next year

Is this you?

post-337-0-36812800-1368537588_thumb.jpg

eddylives

Interesting photo.....what date was it taken?

Have no fear of perfection.....you will never reach it

Guest Wes

Yeah the guy in this photo had the fortitude to set a net across the McIntyre river on Private property. Attached to private property. As his right, he can do this within Robinson - Superior Treaty territory, which is quite large, but not on private property without permission. The golf course did not give him permission, and were very pissed to find out it was attached to their bridge.

It was taken on Sunday.

kbrest

Lets just all go fishing......

unbedable

Roger I can see how the debate each year would piss you off, as you are the one that gets harped on. I absolutely love river fishing so that's probably the standpoint my post will be from.

I think people hold steel in high regards because when you get to hook a huge buck in roaring water, man does it get the adrenaline going. For me that took two years. Perhaps I don't see that fight with walleye as I have never caught anything over 3lbs :P

Regardless, to be good at something you have to practice, whether its reading the water of a river or patterning wally's. I think the difference though lies in the areas where either species can be targeted. Rivers along the north shore will produce fish, no questions asked, but with gas constraints etc, it can be hard to get there. We have a great opportunity here within the city. If your love of wally’s was so strong, and you had a great opportunity to fish for them outside your door, I’m sure you would be a little protective. And by protective I mean in a positive way that I see from most on the river; if someone is looking for proper handling techniques or ways to fish bow’s that is great information to pass along.

On the other hand, If someone says the run is on, and that information is flooded out people, I can see that’s where people get antsy. Not only are there constraints of where you can fish (and x number of great pools etc), but its also taking away the work that people have to put in to figure out the timing. Trying to relate to wally….if you knew fish only had a single shore or bay that they would approach…and someone was blabbling that the fish are there…you get every cowboy out snagging etc. And it has happened for walleye. Last year was it not, that there was the early melt. Someone mentioned that the fish were in the river spawning, and soon enough a day or two later, 30 boats in the river on every corner. I think this site possibly facilitated some of that with everyone’s easy access to social media now. Information like this can be accessed anytime, anywhere.

As far as targeting them while the spawn is on…I would look to Jon George’s study on Portage…which is ANGLER BASED. Even with lake mortality etc, they have repeat spawners up to five or six times. I would say that’s a good indication that with limiting harvest, the fishery can survive with sport fishing. But again, that’s what this site can be good for….passing along messages of conservation and proper care of our privileges….hunting…fishing…camping.

IMO, Someone saying the run is on at so and so river brings people like that xxxx out (above pic), a negative connotation of information sharing. At the same time, the site can be a great tool to spread information around about people breaking the laws of conservation and have them prosecuted.

[i don’t think whether bows are introduced or not has anything to do with it.]

Anyways, might not make sense as I’m just babbling off the top of my head. It’s a hard position you are in, and it would be unfortunate if the site was shut down. Sorry I don’t have ideas to better police information, or if it should be policed at all.

eddylives

We must remember that these rights were given for good reason which I am not even going to attempt to justify here. I think its best if any comments remain civil and not start a bashing session here or I would guess this topic will close or disappear......that decision will remain in Rogers hands. Thanks for understanding the purpose of this great site.

eddylives

Roger I can see how the debate each year would piss you off, as you are the one that gets harped on. I absolutely love river fishing so that's probably the standpoint my post will be from.

I think people hold steel in high regards because when you get to hook a huge buck in roaring water, man does it get the adrenaline going. For me that took two years. Perhaps I don't see that fight with walleye as I have never caught anything over 3lbs :P

Regardless, to be good at something you have to practice, whether its reading the water of a river or patterning wally's. I think the difference though lies in the areas where either species can be targeted. Rivers along the north shore will produce fish, no questions asked, but with gas constraints etc, it can be hard to get there. We have a great opportunity here within the city. If your love of wally’s was so strong, and you had a great opportunity to fish for them outside your door, I’m sure you would be a little protective. And by protective I mean in a positive way that I see from most on the river; if someone is looking for proper handling techniques or ways to fish bow’s that is great information to pass along.

On the other hand, If someone says the run is on, and that information is flooded out people, I can see that’s where people get antsy. Not only are there constraints of where you can fish (and x number of great pools etc), but its also taking away the work that people have to put in to figure out the timing. Trying to relate to wally….if you knew fish only had a single shore or bay that they would approach…and someone was blabbling that the fish are there…you get every cowboy out snagging etc. And it has happened for walleye. Last year was it not, that there was the early melt. Someone mentioned that the fish were in the river spawning, and soon enough a day or two later, 30 boats in the river on every corner. I think this site possibly facilitated some of that with everyone’s easy access to social media now. Information like this can be accessed anytime, anywhere.

As far as targeting them while the spawn is on…I would look to Jon George’s study on Portage…which is ANGLER BASED. Even with lake mortality etc, they have repeat spawners up to five or six times. I would say that’s a good indication that with limiting harvest, the fishery can survive with sport fishing. But again, that’s what this site can be good for….passing along messages of conservation and proper care of our privileges….hunting…fishing…camping.

IMO, Someone saying the run is on at so and so river brings people like that xxxx out (above pic), a negative connotation of information sharing. At the same time, the site can be a great tool to spread information around about people breaking the laws of conservation and have them prosecuted.

Anyways, might not make sense as I’m just babbling off the top of my head. It’s a hard position you are in, and it would be unfortunate if the site was shut down. Sorry I don’t have ideas to better police information, or if it should be policed at all.

Very well said...... ;)

kbrest

I don't know why steehleaders are getting bashed either. I am relatively new to steelheading (6 years in), and I did a lot of reading, studying, learning, asking questions, almost like I was being tested on it (first couple lines in the water actually became a test). I got skunked my first two years until after putting in a lot of time and effort into learning the sport, landed my first...followed by another 6 that same day, and with the exception of this morning usually similar results. I now respect the sport and the amount of work some of the guys have put in to get the results they do. And I keep hearing about angry steelheaders getting into fights etc etc. Met both "unbedable" and Terryk on the river today and both super nice guys happy to chat fishing and offer a few tips. It was good to see and chat with other guys who are so passionate about it and really understand why people love steelhead fishing. Also...on my way out today I picked up at least 25 Timmies and Robins cups that were NOT there the day before when I had spent all day. Some of which were purposely planted on tops of trees, respect the fishery and the environment surrounding it. Leaving trash behind purposely really separates the men (who pick it up and take it out) from the boys.

Guest Wes

Eddy, I too would like this to remain civil. I did state his right to do this within Robinson - Superior Treaty territory. The Mac falls within those boundaries. BUT the golf course is private property and the "rights" do not apply on private land without consent.

I called the guy in the photo rude because of his manners and attitude when I approached him to ask why he is setting the net. He was an arrogant prick about the whole situation and was clearly in the wrong.

Guest Wes

Sorry for kinda hi-jacking the thread everyone, I am just sick on snotrocket spewing his crap about netting here and netting there. blah blah blah. I know he is just trolling and I fell for it.

Back to the topic.

great post unbedable.

Some Old Guy

I am not against angling them. I have to force myself to remember that when I reply to the people who pm me through the site that they may not even read my responses to them via pm. So I get all uptight with their reasoning and state my reasoning here on the board with the hopes of them reading it.

So please don't take it to heart. When I get "bashed" I'll pull out everyone of my opinions even to the extent of devils advocate.

So when I get asked or told harshly to shut this board down as THIS BOARD is the cause of poor fishing and how that angler is there to protect the steelhead?? and loogans don't know what they are doing, then I read hints of it on the board, I get defensive. So I throw out the addage of if it's detremental, then close the season. That's the best protection.

As for what was said about the small area where the fish stacks up, well that's what happens during a spawn. Same thing happened during walleye spawning and low waters. Might even happen this year too. Will anything or area be closed off? I don't know.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Some Old Guy

Yes unbedable. Your post made sense.

Once again I would like to appologize. I didn't mean to slap everyone into one basket.

On a side note........... part of me wants to take those net photos off but another part wants me to leave them.........

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

bin fishin lots

Good on you kbrest for pickin up the coffee cups! I'm truly f#$%en sick of cleanin up garbage on my favorite drifting spots! The discarded fishing line is nuts too. I literally bit the dirt after being snared in someone's discarded line. Looked like 30 PD test!!! Sorry for off topic!

jbzobes

This thread is a pretty good read!...nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree...sites such as this...IMHO...are a great resource!...informative...entertaining...and for the most part a great place for newbie and veteran anglers to get get together to share experiences and opinions...good...bad...opposing!...just about any site on any topic requires that the user have thick skin...Personally... I Mod/Admin at about a half dozen sites of various interests and only have found the need to Ban trolls only twice...ignoring them always seems to be the best deterrent(Unless it gets Personal)...Everyone enjoy the upcoming open water season...Have Fun...Stay safe!!...and may the Fish Gods reward you accordingly to your efforts...Cheers...jb...

pastor norm

Steelhead are awesome fish. They are relatively rare (which makes their stock go way up), they fight like the dickens, they have considerable weight to them, and they can easily be fished from the bank of our native streams. The "season" is relatively short, which also puts their stock up. It's understandable that die-hard steelheaders would like to limit insider trading of hard-fought for information.

there is some elitism around steelheading, and Thunder Bay culture doesn't tolerate elitism very well. in other parts of the country steelheading is considered top-drawer sport.

It would be nice if we could all get along. I check this site regularly but my info about the run was given to me by a friend who fishes and by checking the rivers myself. So what happened?

gsambray

Guest Steelheadmagnet

Good on ya for cleaning up. Makes me so mad tripping over line in the bush or picking shinning beer cans out of the river. If you can carry it in, you

Can carry it out.

Snotrocket

Is this you?

No that's not me and that's something I would never do, if I net it's usually river mouths. That is unreal wow :(

spindilla1

Is this you?

I saw that guy on the mac sunday!!!

Guest MachoManFisherMan

Steelheading is cheap and accessible to get into, expecially for young guys without a Car or Boat. But this is absolutely ridiculous... And some of you have the knowledge of Steelhead REGULATIONS like its a bible and use it to make inexperienced fisherman look like outlaws. You dont need to come on here and ridicule them, tell them if it is upsetting you or you know they are not following fishing Regs. I have never seen anything but people having fun fishing on the rivers. Of course snagging and a new one Netting, would make anyone fishing pissed, but the fact that this FISH is talked about like Jesus Christ and the offence that is taken, is a little goofy.

I like salmon.

kbrest

Steelheading is cheap and accessible to get into, expecially for young guys without a Car or Boat. But this is absolutely ridiculous... And some of you have the knowledge of Steelhead REGULATIONS like its a bible and use it to make inexperienced fisherman look like outlaws. You dont need to come on here and ridicule them, tell them if it is upsetting you or you know they are not following fishing Regs. I have never seen anything but people having fun fishing on the rivers. Of course snagging and a new one Netting, would make anyone fishing pissed, but the fact that this FISH is talked about like Jesus Christ and the offence that is taken, is a little goofy.

I like salmon.

I respectfully disagree.

The requirement of a license for fishing indeed makes it a privilege, not a right (back to that old thread). Just like if you want to drive a car, its your responsibility to obtain the required license, insurance, and also to know the rules of the road and Highway traffic laws. Ignorance is no excuse for the law and you cannot tell a police officer " I didnt know that was a law", its your responsibility to know. Same with fishing, if you are new to it or netting or whatever, its your responsibility to go out, get your license, and take a look at the regulations and laws surrounding what you are going to do. The regulations books are free and available for everyone to see. It ultimately comes down to you not getting a hefty fine for something you could have easily read, or even asked about on this site (ask the MNR). Its not that people who are new to fishing or netting or whatever are being made to look like outlaws, its just a bit upsetting to see someone pick up a rod and go do whatever they want without checking what is legal and what is not. Especially with steelheading, a lot of members volunteer a lot of their own time to conserve the fishery and take care of the species and there is so much valuable information that is widely available and easy to obtain, that it can be frustrating to see someone blatantly breaking those laws. Ex: fishing within the NO FISHING signs posted on the Neebing, and those people who are approached about it, not being very nice about being told they are doing something illegal.